• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Peoples Campaign rally in Washington June 18th

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Here are the principles for this movement:

Fundamental Principles
  1. We are rooted in a moral analysis based on our deepest religious and constitutional values that demand justice for all. Moral revival is necessary to save the heart and soul of our democracy.
  2. We are committed to lifting up and deepening the leadership of those most affected by systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, and ecological devastation and to building unity across lines of division.
  3. We believe in the dismantling of unjust criminalization systems that exploit poor communities and communities of color and the transformation of the “War Economy” into a “Peace Economy” that values all humanity.
  4. We believe that equal protection under the law is non-negotiable.
  5. We believe that people should not live in or die from poverty in the richest nation ever to exist. Blaming the poor and claiming that the United States does not have an abundance of resources to overcome poverty are false narratives used to perpetuate economic exploitation, exclusion, and deep inequality.
  6. We recognize the centrality of systemic racism in maintaining economic oppression must be named, detailed and exposed empirically, morally and spiritually. Poverty and economic inequality cannot be understood apart from a society built on white supremacy.
  7. Whereas the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism blames poor and oppressed people for our poverty and oppression, our deepest religious and constitutional values insist that the primary moral issues of our day must be how our society treats the poor, those on the margins, women, LGBTQIA2S+ folks, workers, immigrants, the disabled and the sick; equal protection under the law; and the desire for peace, love and harmony within and among nations.
  8. We will build up the power of people and state-based movements to serve as a vehicle for a powerful moral movement in the country and to transform the political, economic and moral structures of our society.
  9. We recognize the need to organize at the state and local level—many of the most regressive policies are being passed at the state level, and these policies will have long and lasting effect, past even executive orders. The movement is not from above but below.
  10. We will do our work in a non-partisan way—no elected officials or candidates get the stage or serve on the State Organizing Committee of the Campaign. This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong.
  11. We uphold the need to do a season of sustained moral direct action as a way to break through the tweets and shift the moral narrative. We are demonstrating the power of people coming together across issues and geography and putting our bodies on the line to the issues that are affecting us all.
  12. The Campaign and all its Participants and Endorsers embrace nonviolence. Violent tactics or actions will not be tolerated.
As a Baha'i, I find these principles compatible with me. The fact that it is non-partisan in principle helps.

I've attached a flyer about the June 18th rally. For those unable to travel, you can participate virtually, though you have to register to do so. I'm participating virtually myself. Of course it is more effective to be there in person, and show the support of a large crowd covered by the media.

The site for the Poor People's Campaign is here:

Poor People's Campaign

Attachments

• 3_Flyer_Side1_English.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 1

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I wouldn't expect Republicans to care much about poor people

A significant fraction of people who vote Republican are poor, and are often completely overlooked by groups supposedly advocating to “improve the lives of those living in poverty”… as you just demonstrated.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Here are the principles for this movement:

Fundamental Principles
  1. We are rooted in a moral analysis based on our deepest religious and constitutional values that demand justice for all. Moral revival is necessary to save the heart and soul of our democracy.
  2. We are committed to lifting up and deepening the leadership of those most affected by systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, and ecological devastation and to building unity across lines of division.
  3. We believe in the dismantling of unjust criminalization systems that exploit poor communities and communities of color and the transformation of the “War Economy” into a “Peace Economy” that values all humanity.
  4. We believe that equal protection under the law is non-negotiable.
  5. We believe that people should not live in or die from poverty in the richest nation ever to exist. Blaming the poor and claiming that the United States does not have an abundance of resources to overcome poverty are false narratives used to perpetuate economic exploitation, exclusion, and deep inequality.
  6. We recognize the centrality of systemic racism in maintaining economic oppression must be named, detailed and exposed empirically, morally and spiritually. Poverty and economic inequality cannot be understood apart from a society built on white supremacy.
  7. Whereas the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism blames poor and oppressed people for our poverty and oppression, our deepest religious and constitutional values insist that the primary moral issues of our day must be how our society treats the poor, those on the margins, women, LGBTQIA2S+ folks, workers, immigrants, the disabled and the sick; equal protection under the law; and the desire for peace, love and harmony within and among nations.
  8. We will build up the power of people and state-based movements to serve as a vehicle for a powerful moral movement in the country and to transform the political, economic and moral structures of our society.
  9. We recognize the need to organize at the state and local level—many of the most regressive policies are being passed at the state level, and these policies will have long and lasting effect, past even executive orders. The movement is not from above but below.
  10. We will do our work in a non-partisan way—no elected officials or candidates get the stage or serve on the State Organizing Committee of the Campaign. This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong.
  11. We uphold the need to do a season of sustained moral direct action as a way to break through the tweets and shift the moral narrative. We are demonstrating the power of people coming together across issues and geography and putting our bodies on the line to the issues that are affecting us all.
  12. The Campaign and all its Participants and Endorsers embrace nonviolence. Violent tactics or actions will not be tolerated.
As a Baha'i, I find these principles compatible with me. The fact that it is non-partisan in principle helps.

I've attached a flyer about the June 18th rally. For those unable to travel, you can participate virtually, though you have to register to do so. I'm participating virtually myself. Of course it is more effective to be there in person, and show the support of a large crowd covered by the media.

The site for the Poor People's Campaign is here:

Poor People's Campaign

My only gripe is the religious reference in (1) which may be unintentionally exclusionary , otherwise...excellent. :thumbsup:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
poor Republicans don't care about themselves, they just care about supporting the rich, I guess they're just not too bright
Yep. Look at how happy people living in Frisco are!

They love all the caring Democrats!

Look he's smiling!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
A significant fraction of people who vote Republican are poor, and are often completely overlooked by groups supposedly advocating to “improve the lives of those living in poverty”… as you just demonstrated.

That's the weird thing: They are poor, but don't vote to help their plight. Nothing changes. Maybe they don't mind being poor. If you have love and family, maybe poverty isn't horrible. That or they are taught that it's okay to be poor in life, as long as you go to heaven.

Aštra’el

poor Republicans don't care about themselves, they just care about supporting the rich, I guess they're just not too bright

Lyndon, you just keep demonstrating my points for me.

I do not think you even really understand what it is you claim to oppose. You have this cliche idea of Republicans imprinted in your mind which does not align with reality. Propaganda tends to have that effect, on some people.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That's the weird thing: They are poor, but don't vote to help their plight. Nothing changes. Maybe they don't mind being poor. If you have love and family, maybe poverty isn't horrible. That or they are taught that it's okay to be poor in life, as long as you go to heaven.
Seems to be a thing. Same here in the UK. In terms of self interest it is rational for the wealthy to vote Conservative, given it is the party that makes the rich richer. Conversely, for the poor it is irrational to vote Conservative. They are voting to make themselves poorer. But a significant portion seem to be attracted to the sales pitch (from the right wing media) of aspiration and patriotism/racism.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

There is no Nation that has a current political system that could be able to embrace all those 12 points.

Very Interesringly though, the Baha'i Administrative system is well suited to what they are advocating for.

Regards Tony

Aštra’el

That's the weird thing: They are poor, but don't vote to help their plight. Nothing changes.
I would not presume to understand why every person holds the views they do, or votes for the people they do. Human nature is complicated and there are many, many factors to this. I would agree that many- though certainly not all- people in the United States who live in poverty could have avoided it by making better choices and by seizing opportunities while they were available. This, however, applies to both sides of the political spectrum, not just Republicans, as @Lyndon somehow imagines in his head.

Maybe they don't mind being poor. If you have love and family, maybe poverty isn't horrible. That or they are taught that it's okay to be poor in life, as long as you go to heaven.
Yes, some people are content with living a simpler life. No judgement here. Surrounding yourself with people you love can certainly ease the burdens of poverty, no doubt. And if religion and/or faith helps people find hope in their darkest moments, why would I discourage that? I do not.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Like I said, one of the things I like about these fundamental principles is their non-partisan stance, though I do recognize that one party leans more towards these fundamental principles, except that both are partisan, in my opinion.