• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor Hallmark Channel Is Sent Spinning

Skwim

Veteran Member

It just can't decide what it wants to be.

hallmark lesbian ad.png

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Skwim, you need a career in these little, subtle memes, like that Hallmark guy at the end - IF you made that. They're your best talent.

Earthtank

'The homophobic hallmark..." What exactly makes hallmark "homophobic"? Hallmark is trying to please their base as any business would (and should if they want to keep their doors open) they are not discriminating nor hating on homosexuals but, simply, decided not to run that ad anymore. As far as i can tell, there is no hate, irrational fear nor discrimination going on but, simply capitalism at work. Did i miss something? Seems to me just another case of misuse of the term homophobic in order to cry and whine about something the author does not like.

ho·mo·pho·bia | \ ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə
\
Definition of homophobia
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What exactly makes hallmark "homophobic"?

Maybe that out of 6 ads, they pulled the 2 that were same sex couples and ran the 4 that were heterosexuals. It may not be "homophobic", because the word gets overused, but that was certainly discriminatory.

Earthtank

but that was certainly discriminatory.

I can agree with this however, this is where capitalism comes in to play. Businesses need to protect and grow their base in order to be profitable and their "moral" guideline is the $. So they will do whatever they can and need to in order to maximize their profits (by retaining/increasing viewers). So is the real/root of the problem capitalism in this case?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
By "woke" you mean acknowledge that gay people exist and should be treated with dignity and respect just like anyone else? Wouldn't the "snowflakes" be the ones scared of seeing two girls kiss? You may not be a fundamentalist, but they have you on a leash.
Naw. It's a fairly well known meme attesting the fact that most of the population is not LGBT and doesn't really care about products and services that reflects that. It has no appeal.

It has to do much with the overall bottom line and has nothing to do with things like acceptence or discrimination , yet rather the fact that the majority of the customer base happens to be straight and is not interested in LGBT affairs so their money simply goes elsewhere.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So is the real/root of the problem capitalism in this case?

I don't know... maybe, probably? I think it's the old "every man has his price". OMM said "We're going to hurt you". The public said "We're going to hurt you more". With attitudes changing as they are, I think the public has more clout than OMM.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Naw. It's a fairly well known meme attesting the fact that most of the population is not LGBT and doesn't really care about products and services that reflects that. It has no appeal.

It has to do much with the overall bottom line and has nothing to do with things like acceptence or discrimination , yet rather the fact that the majority of the customer base happens to be straight and is not interested in LGBT affairs so their money simply goes elsewhere.
I think you'd be surprised.
Regardless of the law, try running a small business with a "whites only" sign on your door. Most people aren't black, but are whites like me. Meaning, I would never patronize a business with a racist policy. Competitive businesses, like TV channels and greeting cards, cannot afford to lose both the gay and the "straight but not narrow" markets. Catering to them is the future. Because we are the rapidly growing majority, especially amongst the up scale customers.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Regardless of the law, try running a small business with a "whites only" sign on your door. Most people aren't black, but are whites like me. Meaning, I would never patronize a business with a racist policy. Competitive businesses, like TV channels and greeting cards, cannot afford to lose both the gay and the "straight but not narrow" markets. Catering to them is the future. Because we are the rapidly growing majority, especially amongst the up scale customers.
Tom
Aye, no matter how disgusting their ways, I want their business.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Tom
It has nothing to do with that from how I see it.

It's just that the customer base is largely straight and is not going to pay attention to commercials and promotions targeting GLBT folks.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Your logic makes no sense. So you actively avoid products or services if their ads target any demographic other than your own? Keep in mind that the company whose ads were pulled also had other commercials that featured strait couples. Stop parroting the memes of neckbeard incels and think for yourself.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It has nothing to do with that from how I see it.

It's just that the customer base is largely straight and is not going to pay attention to commercials and promotions targeting GLBT folks.
I think you're missing the big picture of marketing.

A majority of people, especially the well heeled folks who spend the most, are increasingly queer friendly. They might not notice a lack of queers in a company's ads, because it's the norm. But they notice when there are some, and subconsciously put that in the plus column for that company. When they go to make a purchasing decision, all those messages they've seen add up to a choice. Queer friendly purveyors will tend to outperform the rest over time. Subtly, not hugely. But in competitive businesses with high profiles, a percentage or two in profits is the difference between dominating the market and bankruptcy. Maybe not for family bakeries in conservative communities, but for giant corporations that spend zillions on advertising it is just how things are.

Capitalism will pretty much crush homophobia in the mass media.
Tom