• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polytheistic views of Yahweh

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If you believe in many Gods, what is your opinion of Yahweh? He certainly gets the most attention of the gods. It seems to me he is fond of Trumping the other gods.

Do you think he is a figment of people's imagination, or do you think he is a Deity?

Do you have resentment of his attitude towards other gods and cultures?

My beef with Yahweh is the acts of violence , bigotry, and intolerance he inspired in Scripture, and the history of violence , bigotry, and intolerance among his followers.

Fortunately his followers also perform much Charity, build hospitals and schools, feed the hungry etc.

I long to see the gods stop fighting each other and see Religious unity. Do you think unity and harmony between Pagans and monotheists is ever going to happen?

I see progress. There are no more crusades or Inquisitions. Give Yahweh time and be patient with him. He is growing :D

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Yahweh is a creator god with a large following of spirits (angels) and humans. I don't incorporate him in my practice but I'm fine with the idea he exists. Most of the negative stigma towards him is based upon religious interpretation by man himself anyway. I'm doubtful as to how much of the Bible is actually "his word".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you believe in many Gods, what is your opinion of Yahweh?

Truly? I aim not to have much of one, considering I have not studied this deity in any notable depth nor do I have any sort of working relationship with it that would give me experience-based knowledge.

Do you think he is a figment of people's imagination, or do you think he is a Deity?

The question strikes me as a false dichotomy predicated on assumptions about the nature of reality that I do not share. Put simply, something is a deity if someone deifies that thing - whether or not someone puts it into the category box called "real" or "not real."

I wouldn't presume to know what those attitudes are. At most, I learn about this through hearsay, which is a terrible source of information. That hearsay is frequently and routinely contradictory, meaning I end up recalling a very important bit when it comes to working with the gods (any of them):

The map is not the territory. Put another way, what humans say about a deity is not that deity.

And, as I said before, I don't study this deity or have any direct experience of them. I have hearsay maps and no grasp of the territory, so I aim to presume very little.

Do you think unity and harmony between Pagans and monotheists is ever going to happen?

Nope, but I also don't think that's desirable. "Unity" and "harmony" is typically a fancy way of saying "we're going to run a train over your cultural traditions and homogenize them with our own." No, there should be tension between two fundamentally different ways of seeing. That's tension we can mutually benefit from (plus it means life isn't a total yawn-fest). Being different from each other is not bad.

idav

Being
Premium Member
If you believe in many Gods, what is your opinion of Yahweh? He certainly gets the most attention of the gods. It seems to me he is fond of Trumping the other gods.

My beef with Yahweh is the acts of violence , bigotry, and intolerance he inspired in Scripture, and the history of violence , bigotry, and intolerance among his followers.

Fortunately his followers also perform much Charity, build hospitals and schools, feed the hungry etc.

I long to see the gods stop fighting each other and see Religious unity. Do you think unity and harmony between Pagans and monotheists is ever going to happen?

I see progress. There are no more crusades or Inquisitions. Give Yahweh time and be patient with him. He is growing :D
Why, certainly, Yahweh is the demiurge trying to keep enlightenment away from us pesky humans. Thank Sophia for the wisdom she shares.
Demiurge - Wikipedia
Sophia (wisdom) - Wikipedia

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
In originality, YHVH was really just a sky god, and husband to Asherah, the goddess of the sea. He didn't become a creator deity until the cult of YHVH grew in power and merged him with El.
I agree in this :)

Asherea was abandoned by the partriarchal Jewish priests, but in lots of other cultures they kept their prime female goddess. YHWH and El are also equal to Allah and this equality counts for all cultural prime Sky gods and goddesses. This is very logical since the prime deities all participate in the ancient known Stories of Creation, which includes everything in the Milky Way galaxy and this telling are of course the same for all cultures and people.

My Mytho-Cosmological perception of the prime Sky God can be read here:
The Greatest God in Heaven
And the prime Sky Goddess here:
The great Mother Goddess

If studying the text and attributes and qualities of the prime gods and goddesses in all cultures and compares these to the linked Milky Way figures, it is my opinion that it all fits very well together.

Regards
Ivar Nielsen

syo

If you believe in many Gods, what is your opinion of Yahweh?
orthodox christians who are also polytheists view other gods as lesser gods who do the bidding of the christian god.

he is a deity.

not exactly. one supreme God isn't that bad, I guess.

Do you think unity and harmony between Pagans and monotheists is ever going to happen?
yes, absolutely.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
As I've come to understand this figure, he is the combination of a mountain god and a war god, with the war god being the Hebrew's tribal god; most similar to Ares/Mars. El Elyon (the mountain god) is much more similar to Zeus/Jupiter.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
As I've come to understand this figure, he is the combination of a mountain god and a war god, with the war god being the Hebrew's tribal god; most similar to Ares/Mars. El Elyon (the mountain god) is much more similar to Zeus/Jupiter.
I hope you are correct

Native

Mountain deities are known from all over the world but did/do they really reside on the mountains? Or are they resembling/symbolizing different celestial astronomical deities of star constellations and the Milky Way contours as suggested here on my Mytho-Cosmological Website?

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Mountain deities are known from all over the world but did/do they really reside on the mountains? Or are they resembling/symbolizing different celestial astronomical deities of star constellations and the Milky Way contours as suggested here on my Mytho-Cosmological Website?
Exactly. Mountains, being naturally tall formations, are mostly like symbols or even a type of portal to the heavens. It's similar to how caves are associated with the underworld.

Native

Exactly. Mountains, being naturally tall formations, are mostly like symbols or even a type of portal to the heavens. It's similar to how caves are associated with the underworld.
IMO the mythical concepts of "mount" and "mound" are very much confused by scholars who haven´t much cosmological and astronomical knowledge. In many cultural Stories of Creation it is told that the creation of firm matter (mudd and soil) takes place on a Cosmic Mound from an Egg or from a Central Light as for instants the Egyptian Amun-Ra, who are interpreted by scholars as the Sun, but really represent the central Milky Way Light of creation as Amun-Ra is directly connected to the Egyptian goddess Hathor who represent the Milky Way on the southern hemisphere.

Regarding the concept and understanding of "The Underworld", how do you understand this concept?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well his book is the best seller worldwide year after year even in our enlightened age. He is by far the most powerful and influential of the gods