• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polytheism question

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am a polytheist. I am what some might call a 'hard polytheist'.

What does this mean? A hard polytheist believes in the gods as distinct, individual beings with their own personalities, wants and desires, agency, and their own destinies.

This is in comparison to a 'soft polytheist', who may believe the gods are 'aspects' of something or a 'whole being'.

Then there are those archetypal polytheists who want the poly without the theism.

Neither of the last two are true polytheism. This may grate against some, but it is the truth.

What do I believe in particular?

I believe the gods are physical and metaphysical beings who are born with the highest qualities conscious can have. I believe that much of the mythology human history has recorded is based on actual events in an older time when the gods still walked among us openly. I don't believe every myth is 100% true and infallible, but through comparative religion and mythology, there are far too many similarities for it to be a coincidence (and I don't really believe in those to begin with).

I believe that many gods throughout the different cultural spheres are the same, but with different names and myths attributed to them. One of the most famous of these is the great goddess of Venus, Ishtar. She has been through much of the ancient world, beginning as Inanna, then to Ishtar, to Ashtoreth/Astarte, to Aphrodite, to Venus, to even Freja.

I combine my belief in polytheism with the practice of Vedic Astrology. When one begins to understand the stars, what their energies birth, you begin to understand the gods.

When I observe the world, I perceive endless plurality. I have taken to calling this 'harmonious fission', as I perceive existence an infinite spiral of creation, for lack of a better term.

I believe the best way to experience the gods is to, essentially, be 'open' to them. I would suggest to be open to possibilities and to not be afraid of believing.

That is interesting. I gotta read this a few more times.

Earthtank

I like the idea of many gods, but as an agnostic, I can't make myself believe again. Polytheists of any sort, do you believe in literal gods/goddesses, or just as aspects of nature, or aspects of a universal soul, etc? Basically, what do you believe in and how do you carry that belief out?

How do you "like the idea of many gods" but be an agnostic? Why? For what reason? If you cant bring yourself to believe something why and how could you like it?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
How do you "like the idea of many gods" but be an agnostic? Why? For what reason? If you cant bring yourself to believe something why and how could you like it?

Good question. I used to believe and wish I could again. I want to see deities as aspects of nature.

Earthtank

Good question. I used to believe and wish I could again. I want to see deities as aspects of nature.

Well, respectfully, let me ask you this, What "tool" have you used to become an agnostic? And how do you know that, that "tool" is the correct one for the job?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That does not answer the question. How did you come to the conclusion of "No evidence of deities"? What "tool" did you use for that "job"?
Things that ancient people attributed to deities we have learned about and understand that there is not a supernatural cause.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I like the idea of many gods, but as an agnostic, I can't make myself believe again. Polytheists of any sort, do you believe in literal gods/goddesses, or just as aspects of nature, or aspects of a universal soul, etc? Basically, what do you believe in and how do you carry that belief out?
I am a strong atheist Hindu :). So, no question of belief in deities. But mythology is not just for belief. It guides us in our life by giving examples. As perhaps you know, I believe in existence of just one entity (which is certainly not God) but constitutes all things in the universe (Brahman). It does not require any worship, it does not demand following any commandments. That is a social requirement (Dharma), which I try to follow. My belief does not require any other belief, like Gods, creation, soul, rebirth, heaven, hell, judgment, deliverance, etc.

As for mythology, Hindus are heirs to both, the Indo-European mythology (Zeus and Ouranos - Dyaus and Varuna) as well as indigenous mythology (Ram, Krishna, Shiva, Durga). I consider that fortunate.

Goodman John

I follow the Manichaean/Gnostic school of two opposing forces- those of Good and Evil, with God representing the Good principle and Satan representing the Evil principle. As such, in the Cathar faith I follow, the short story is that Satan warred against God and was defeated, but in the cataclysm of defeat he created the physical world to escape to and took with him a great many spirits from God as well as those he had seduced to his cause. Our 'soul' is one of those spirits, placed in us by Satan to make us (as Man) 'work'- ostensibly to do his bidding, but we have been awakened to our nature by various strong souls in the form of what we might call 'prophets' as well as the Christ- the soul that resided in Jesus of Nazareth and has since returned to God.

As for multiple gods, I only recognize God and Satan as the two principals; other beings/entities may be identified as 'gods' but if so they are on a decidedly lower tier of power and ability.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I follow the Manichaean/Gnostic school of two opposing forces- those of Good and Evil, with God representing the Good principle and Satan representing the Evil principle. As such, in the Cathar faith I follow, the short story is that Satan warred against God and was defeated, but in the cataclysm of defeat he created the physical world to escape to and took with him a great many spirits from God as well as those he had seduced to his cause. Our 'soul' is one of those spirits, placed in us by Satan to make us (as Man) 'work'- ostensibly to do his bidding, but we have been awakened to our nature by various strong souls in the form of what we might call 'prophets' as well as the Christ- the soul that resided in Jesus of Nazareth and has since returned to God.

As for multiple gods, I only recognize God and Satan as the two principals; other beings/entities may be identified as 'gods' but if so they are on a decidedly lower tier of power and ability.

I like Gnosticism as well. It makes a lot of sense to me.

The topic of sin makes sense to a real God but is not important to a false or false God(s). The point is sin is designed to cause harm to our realm, to God realm and is an explanation into demon realm. The bible explores this in great detail and in understandable logical context.