• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polytheism question

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I like the idea of many gods, but as an agnostic, I can't make myself believe again. Polytheists of any sort, do you believe in literal gods/goddesses, or just as aspects of nature, or aspects of a universal soul, etc? Basically, what do you believe in and how do you carry that belief out?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I like the idea of many gods, but as an agnostic, I can't make myself believe again. Polytheists of any sort, do you believe in literal gods/goddesses, or just as aspects of nature, or aspects of a universal soul, etc? Basically, what do you believe in and how do you carry that belief out?

The problem with many Gods is they are pretty much mythological cultural artifacts along with dragons and monsters.

You being an agnostic/humanists question the existence of any Gods. Why would you even consider any God or Gods as more appealing. Unless you are a believer in a God or Gods, whats up?

David T

Premium Member
"I can't make myself believe"
I cant make myself believe enougn to stop The sun from setting. It ignored my believe.

Tried "not belief, and agnostic" same results.

Conclusion overthinking.... Its common.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

To stick on the thread topic and answer the question. I believe in many Gods, and in doing so I believe that they are all of the above. Aspects of Nature, literal Gods, and aspects of a Universal force (I don't call it a soul).

I carry these beliefs out by performing rituals and offerings to the Gods, honoring the spirits through prayer and offerings, and using music to create a sacred space both internally and externally.

I lived agnostically for quite a while, but had a personal experience that brought me back to the Gods. This was fostered through interacting with the Gods via ritual and meditation, whether or not "I" believed it would be beneficial for me to do so. A gift given for a gift returned.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The belief in an apophatic unknowable God, not based ancient mythology.

The problem with an apophatic God and polytheism is that one negates the other, either God is unknowable, or there are many gods.

You may be able to argue that this unknowableness is why there are numerous Gods (via interpretation), but it does not actually do anything to show that there is a singular unknowable God.

Whereas the proof of there being many people believing in many Gods, is external proof that there are in fact many Gods.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The problem with an apophatic God and polytheism is that one negates the other, either God is unknowable, or there are many gods.

True, but the belief in many Gods is entrenched in conflicting cultural mythology. I fully understand all possible problems with belief in a God or Gods.

You may be able to argue that this unknowableness is why there are numerous Gods (via interpretation), but it does not actually do anything to show that there is a singular unknowable God.

Correct, no it does not. Belief in God or Gods is not grounded in objective verifiable evidence. That is a given.

Whereas the proof of there being many people believing in many Gods, is external proof that there are in fact many Gods.

No, so circular it bites you in the butt. There is no proof for either view.

. . . but again the belief in an apophatic God is not grounded in conflicting ancient mythology.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The problem with many Gods is they are pretty much mythological cultural artifacts along with dragons and monsters.

You being an agnostic/humanists question the existence of any Gods. Why would you even consider any God or Gods as more appealing. Unless you are a believer in a God or Gods, whats up?

I used to be Christian, so I like the idea of belief, just not the Bible god anymore. Even if it's just a reverence for the universe, I like a personification of it. I don't know why...

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I carry these beliefs out by performing rituals and offerings to the Gods, honoring the spirits through prayer and offerings, and using music to create a sacred space both internally and externally.

I lived agnostically for quite a while, but had a personal experience that brought me back to the Gods. This was fostered through interacting with the Gods via ritual and meditation, whether or not "I" believed it would be beneficial for me to do so. A gift given for a gift returned.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

That sounds beautiful. How did you know these gods were the ones for you? Are they literal? What are their functions? Yes, I might have questions. lol

Erebus

There are different flavours of polytheism, just as there are with monotheism. Some people believe that the gods literally are natural forces (Thor is thunder for example) while others believe in them as distinct and conscious entities.

Personally, I view the gods as archetypes embodying various aspects of nature along with human experiences. To me, Thor is thunder but also protection, power and honour. I see the image of a man wielding a magical hammer as a means of making something intangible more relatable to us.

So to me the gods do literally exist in a physical sense (I can step outside and there they are) but also in a more metaphorical sense. The bit I'm agnostic about would be whether or not there's any sentience behind natural forces. That question is ultimately about whether or not a mind can exist independently from a brain and I just have no way of knowing the answer.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
No, so circular it bites you in the butt. There is no proof for either view.

. . . but again the belief in an apophatic God is not grounded in conflicting ancient mythology.

I have never met an argument for any Deity that was not Circular at some point, so that does not bother me. But as a species of storytellers; Mythology, conflicting (for whom?) or not is important to help guide and teach. We just need to ensure that we are updating our stories to fit the needs of here and now. Which all "religions" at some point fail to do (thereby becoming myth). But I will not further derail this thread about Polytheism.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I experience life as a plurality. Therefore I would be 'polytheistic' if I actually did gods.

As it is, I see and experience the diversity of my kin, the human and other-than-human persons around me. Some of them are large and or powerful, and others might call them 'gods.' I don't, but that doesn't mean I don't respect them.

Some others are small and or weak, and I respect them just the same, even if some might call them 'lesser' or elemental. They might consider me a god, for all I know.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
There are different flavours of polytheism, just as there are with monotheism. Some people believe that the gods literally are natural forces (Thor is thunder for example) while others believe in them as distinct and conscious entities.

Personally, I view the gods as archetypes embodying various aspects of nature along with human experiences. To me, Thor is thunder but also protection, power and honour. I see the image of a man wielding a magical hammer as a means of making something intangible more relatable to us.

So to me the gods do literally exist in a physical sense (I can step outside and there they are) but also in a more metaphorical sense. The bit I'm agnostic about would be whether or not there's any sentience behind natural forces. That question is ultimately about whether or not a mind can exist independently from a brain and I just have no way of knowing the answer.

That is very cool. Any suggestions on how to learn more about the aspects of different gods/goddesses?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So if we can't have any knowledge of that God then why bother?

That is not what is claimed. I believe through Revelation we can have knowledge of the attributes of God, but not the apophatic God.

I might as well believe that an unknown teapot exists somewhere out in the cosmos hovering around Jupiter

You might, and that is your choice.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That sounds beautiful. How did you know these gods were the ones for you? Are they literal? What are their functions? Yes, I might have questions. lol

Long story short, I have always felt deeply attuned with the natural world and while agnostic, considered myself a Pagan. I chose (was called by) the Gods I did because they were the ones that initially felt right, take it with a grain of salt, I preferred to defer to my intuition. Now, I found meditation and ritual as a place to suspend disbelief (just as one would while watching a movie/playing a game) and interact more deeply with the world around me. This eventually lead to being hit in the head with a Hammer, so to speak.

Yes, they are real (literal), and they are all facets and extensions of a Universal Force (non-intelligence), which underlies this reality. Their functions are that of any other Gods, to show one how to live a better life now(on midgard), with the promise of a better tomorrow (on midgard).