• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy...your thoughts?

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
So the Old Testament has plenty of instances of polygamy from as early as Genesis 4:19.

Do you believe that polygamy is good or bad, and why do you think it is that?

I think that polygamy is good...more women have a life partner when there is polygamy.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't support marriage in general, so... no?

But to clarify that, I don't support marriage because of how it is institutionalized in my country. Allowing multiple marriages would shaft the independent more than they already are, and also shaft monogamous couples as well.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
So the Old Testament has plenty of instances of polygamy from as early as Genesis 4:19.

I think that polygamy is good...more women have a life partner when there is polygamy.

If women out number men by a large amount and if it was socially acceptable then polygamy would be best for the human race.

Men are mostly solitary creatures while women are mostly social. The family would benefit in many ways from having more adults.

With the current set up in the world it would cause to many problems. We are basically evenly divided so it would lead to more fighting for a partner. Those with the best prospects, money, strength, looks would end up with the most and others would get none. The number of wars would sky rocket.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
I support polygany.

That would be ideal for me (it's actually spelled, "polygyny" :) .)

Since I just want sex out of a marriage, she could be with me for a while, we have our sex, I give her some money and then she's off to another husband.

Tumah

Veteran Member
For our times, definitely a bad idea in 99.999999% of the cases. In older times when the communal consciousness was geared to it, still often a bad idea.
I'm not against it objectively, but I think it needs strong judgement that most people today do not have themselves and are not interested in getting.

First Baseman

Retired athlete

Jesus Christ in Matthew 4:19:4-6

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Genesis 2:24 makes it clear that a man is only supposed to have one wife:

That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Jesus Christ in Matthew 4:19:4-6

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Genesis 2:24 makes it clear that a man is only supposed to have one wife:

That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Your making an interpretation that contradicts the rest of the Bible, from as early as Genesis 4:19.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't support marriage in general, so... no?

But to clarify that, I don't support marriage because of how it is institutionalized in my country. Allowing multiple marriages would shaft the independent more than they already are, and also shaft monogamous couples as well.

May I ask, what country do you live in?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
May I ask, what country do you live in?

In the United States, being married confers all sorts of special tax breaks, among many other privileges ranging from visitation rights to inheritances. Yet relationships that are as equally deep as marriage, just not romantic or sexual, tend to not get any recognition or privileges It's kind of sad, honestly. As an example, some employers grant paid sick leave that can be used to visit a wife/husband or kids in the hospital. That's great and all, but what if you have none of those? What if you have a best friend who you've known for a decade or more who is in the hospital, and they have no one else to support them? Suddenly, you have to take unpaid leave to honor this deep relationship, while the person with the marriage license gets paid leave. That should not be so.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think polygamy, in a patriarchal context, is highly problematic. For instance, it typically creates a population of young males who cannot find mates because older, wealthier, established males are sucking up the supply of potential mates for the young males. Again, there have been studies that found males in polygamous relationships tend to invest fewer resources in each of their offspring, preferring instead to invest in having more offspring, rather than take better care of the ones they have. For those and other reasons, I think polygamy in a patriarchal context is highly undesirable.