• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy legalized in Utah

Riders

It was legalized in Utah 2 years ago. How have marriage certificates changed since then, do polygamy families apply for multiple certificates ho does that work? What are your opinions on polygamy? I say to each his own.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What a great idea. This way people can make all of their mistakes at the same time.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Polygamy and polyandry are just terrible ideas but I don't want to argue about why that is. If my religion was established my faith would allow same-sex couples but three unfortunately is a crowd and crowds can't get married to each other.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Polygamy and polyandry are just terrible ideas but I don't want to argue about why that is. If my religion was established my faith would allow same-sex couples but three unfortunately is a crowd and crowds can't get married to each other.

I don't think these situations are where all three are married, just when one person is allowed two(or more) spouses.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I don't think these situations are where all three are married, just when one person is allowed two(or more) spouses.

Still a terrible idea. In one's lifetime you only have a certain amount of time to invest in things and having two husbands or wives would automatically make one of them jealous of the other. Scrap the idea.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There is a slightly juridical difference between legalization and depenalization.
It is de facto the same thing, though.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
In family group life support which is what they sought. Probably a lesser male population wanted a returned group lifestyle.

I've seen programs where wives struggle. Or where the man is so egotistical about himself that he causes emotional disturbance in the family.

And seems to seek out younger wives as he ages. So it's then like a father daughter union.

In natural history our two parents were mutually paired. Which memory knows. It's a strong natural memory.

So any behaviour contrary to that memory is difficult.

If it wasn't taught to young children and they were given a natural choice. That has a bearing on the circumstance.

In civilisation status for family support it only becomes a means for human greed...by family group.

Therefore it's argued over simply by it being expressed.

The humans living it are. Their choice already made. Legal is only a groups agreement.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Still a terrible idea. In one's lifetime you only have a certain amount of time to invest in things and having two husbands or wives would automatically make one of them jealous of the other. Scrap the idea.

It's difficult, but for some people this works. Polyamory is by no means easy but what human relationship dynamic is?

Jealousy is by no means an insurmountable barrier. Both my wife and I have had other relationships and we're still going strong. :)

Riders

Well the tv show my 5 Wives makes it look romantic by having all the family time and kids around you all the time. However I would not have time or room in my life for all that, it would be way too much work for me, no thank you.

HonestJoe

It was legalized in Utah 2 years ago.
No it wasn't, it was decriminalised. It's still illegal, it is just an infraction rather than a felony. I've no idea how it works in practice (since it seems the criminal law wasn't easy to enforce) but it's a significant legal distinction. That of course means none of the documentation or related marriage laws would need to be changed and any one individual can still only be legally recognised as marred to one other individual.

What are your opinions on polygamy? I say to each his own.
I've no major objection in principle, and I know people in mutually polygamous relationships (not marriages) who appear to make it work, though it can create a whole new set of difficulties to work around, above and beyond the ones common to any romantic relationship.

The legal status is a difficult one, since all of the laws and structures of marriage are built around there being two people and plenty just wouldn't work as written with more than that. I think if polygamous relationships were ever to be formally recognised, it would require a new legal concept and structure, related to but distinct from conventional legal marriage.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It was legalized in Utah 2 years ago. How have marriage certificates changed since then, do polygamy families apply for multiple certificates ho does that work? What are your opinions on polygamy? I say to each his own.

Wait, seriously?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Polygamy isn't legal anywhere in America, so I don't know what you're talking about. (However, it being illegal hasn't stopped the Somali "refugees" from sneaking their multiple wives in and everyone knows they do it.)

Riders

This is taken off the net.
  • In 2020, the Utah Legislature passed a law to decriminalize polygamy, reducing bigamy among consenting adults from a third-degree felony, punishable by prison time, to an infraction on par with a speeding ticket. “That’s for consenting adults,” said Lt. Governor Deidre Henderson, who sponsored the bill when she served in the Utah Senate.