• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy - An inquiry of the Quran (for some this maybe offensive)

firedragon

Veteran Member
POLYGAMY…..

“Marry women of your choice, two, and three, and four”, is a very famous quote that most apologists, use to answer the normal question about polygamy, in Islam. These are the same Islamic apologists who insist on reading the context when debating with Christian evangelists like Yusuf Estes, Ahmed Deedat, Zakir Naik. Why don’t they use the same criteria on themselves? They generally don't quote the full verse but only a small part of it that says "marry them 2, 3 and 4"

Summary of facts to inquire if Quran does promote polygamy.

1. Fainkuhu (From the root word Nakaha) can be translated as marry or give in marriage.

2. It begins with Ya ayyuhannas which means all humans, thus if it is promoting polygamy even women can marry women by 2s, 3s or 4s.

3. The verse explicitly refers to fatherless children or orphans and a situation that where you find yourself in difficulty of taking care of them. If you’re already finding it difficult to take care of orphans under your protection, would an all wise, all knowing, omnipotent God tell you to marry them?

4. The verse does not say 2, 3 or 4. Rather, it is twos, threes or fours as in groups. If it is polygamy that’s promoted then you can get married to 4 women at a time. Marry four women a day and in 10 days you can have a harem of 40 wives.

Explanation from scripture and context

Now to the scripture

• O people, be aware of your Lord who has created you from one person and He created from it its mate and sent forth from it many men and many women; and be aware of God whom you ask about, and the relatives. God is Watcher over you.
  • And give the orphans (Alyatama) their money, and do not replace the good with the bad, and do not consume their money with your money; for truly this is a great sin!
  • And if you fear that you cannot be just to the orphans (Alyatama), then you may Give in marriage (Fainkihoo) those who are agreeable to you of the women: two, and three, and four. But if you fear you will not be fair, then only one, or whom you maintain by your oaths. This is best that you do not face financial hardship.
- Quran 4:2-3

If I simulate agreement with those who propagate polygamy, this verse allows it only with orphans under your care. How many men actually marry orphans? And why do all those apologists and evangelists not read out the full context.

Two words in the above verses have been left in the Arabic language because these are the significant words that most have interpreted unsuitably, intentionally or not. Alyatama, Arabic for orphan or rather translated as orphan in the Arabic language means “Fatherless Children”, not orphan as understood by an English reader.

And they seek a ruling regarding the women, say: “God will give you a ruling regarding them and what is being recited to you in the Book regarding the o_r_p_h_a_n_s_’ _mothers whom you wish to marry but have not given them what was decreed for them, and the oppressed from the children: That you stand for the orphans in equality.” Whatever good you do, then God is aware of it. – Quran 4:127

Where are the fathers of these so called orphans? Well, there are no fathers. This verse has been mistranslated to say orphans where it should be fatherless children. Which means if you have orphans under your protection, you have taken the role of a father who financially supports the upbringing of a fatherless child, be you man or woman.

There is another verse that talks of marriage where older translators interpreted the word “fainkihoo” as marry, and a quick look at the verse in context will show you that it means to give in marriage. 77

And give in marriage those among you that are single, and the good from among your male and female servants. If they are poor, then God will grant them from His grace. And God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.

- Quran 24:32

Below are the verses in concern, broken down into several segments for ease of understanding.

1. And give the orphans (Alyatama) their money, and do not replace the good with the bad,
  2. and do not consume their money with your money; for truly this is a great sin!
  3. And if you fear that you cannot be just to the orphans (Alyatama),
  4. then you may Give in marriage (Fainkihoo) those who are agreeable to you of the women:
  5. two, and three, and four.
  6. But if you fear you will not be fair, then only one,
  7. or whom you maintain by your oaths. This is best that you do not face financial hardship.
Quran 4:2-3

If you wish to interpret the word Fainkihoo as marry, it has to be fatherless orphans who are under your protection that you marry. Taking these verses from the context of the Quran, you can only understand it to give fatherless girls in marriage, 2s, 3s or 4s at a time, but if it is difficult and you face financial hardship, only one.

These are fantastic teachings good for humanity, distorted by men with preconceived notions. 78

Further proof that this verse says “Give in Marriage”

Most translators state this verse to say 2, 3 or 4 women. The Arabic words used here are “Mathna, thulatha and rubaa to mean 2s, 3s and 4s (As in groups of 2s, 3s and 4s) respectively. If it is meant to mean 2, 3 or 4 the Arabic words will be ithnaan, thalatha and arbaa respectively, thus the verse says marry them off in groups of twos, threes or fours.

Mathna = twos, not two

Whenever the word Mathna is mentioned it is translated as groups of 2 or twos.

Say: “I advise you to do one thing: that you stand to God, in twos (Mathna) and individually, then reflect.” – Quran 34:46

But when it comes to the verse 4:3, miraculously it is translated as two.

Rubaa = Fours, not four

The verse 24:4 says bring four witnesses where four in Arabic is Arbaa, not Rubaa as in verse 4:3 that men use to propagate polygamy. But when it comes to the question of women to marry, miraculously the word for 4 is Rubaa which actually means groups of four or four’s. Thus, the interpreters have completely ignored the context of the Quran and blindly translated the verse to suit their agenda of propagating polygamy. That is because of the preconceived idea of men having the ability to marry more than one woman, a concept that’s been trailing through centuries and they cannot fathom the Quran not to support their traditions.

Is it a wholesale market that lets you marry a thousand women?

If the verse is to mean 2, 3 or 4 the Arabic words will be ithnaan, thalatha and arbaa respectively. But if your heart is diseased with the traditional, egoistic need to keep your options of marrying more than one woman open you will translate it as 2, 3 or 4. The reason is, this verse is telling you to give orphans who have come under your protection in marriage in groups of 2, 3 or 4 (2s, 3s or 4s) and then says if you cannot do justice due to financial hardship, then only one. If it is propagating polygamy, then you can get married to women in groups of twos, threes or fours, which means there is no limit to the total number of wives you can bring home. It is like a wholesale boutique, marry 4 at a time and in 10 days you can have a harem of 40 wives.

What if you are a woman with orphans?

The biggest and most crucial point of the verse in concern is the fact that it does not say that the verse is talking only to men. Why do men think God is talking only to them? See the full context from the first verse and it is very clear that the verses are not addressing men only. Thus, if polygamy is propagated in this verse, is God giving the authority to women masters to get married to orphan girls or orphans mothers? In fact, men and women are addressed here and told how to take care of orphans.

People, be aware of your Lord who has created you from one person and He created from it its mate and sent forth from it many men and many women; and be aware of God whom you ask about, and the relatives. God is Watcher over you.

And give the orphans their money, and do not replace the good with the bad, and do not consume their money with your money; for truly this is a great sin!

And if you fear that you cannot be just to the orphans, then you may marry those who are agreeable to you of the women: two, and three, and four. But if you fear you will not be fair, then only one, or whom you maintain by your oaths. This is best that you do not face financial hardship.

- Quran 4:1-3

You can vividly see that the 1st verse above is addressing men and women, and telling us to be sincere since God is watching us. We are commanded to take care of orphans and their inheritances if any, with honesty. God wants us to give the fatherless women and their mothers in marriage. This great teaching has been distorted to enable men to marry many women.

The next verses

• And give the women their dues willingly, and if they remit any of it to you of their own will, then you may take it with good feelings.
  • And do not give the immature ones your money for which God has made you overseers, and spend on them from it and clothe them, and speak to them in goodness.
  • And test the orphans when they reach puberty, then, if you have determined from them comprehension, then give them their money, and do not deliberately
consume it wastefully or quickly before they grow up. And whoever is rich, then let him not claim anything, and if he is poor then let him consume in kindness. If you give to them their money, then make a witness for them, and God is enough for Reckoning.
  • For the men is a portion from what the parents and the relatives left behind, and for the women is a portion from what the parents and relatives left behind, be it little or much; a forced portion.
  • And if the distribution is attended by the relatives and the orphans and the needy, then you shall give them part of it and say to them a kind saying.
  • And let them be concerned, that if it was they who had left behind them a weak progeny, would they not fear for them? Let them reverence God and let them say what is appropriate.
  • Those who consume the money of the orphans illicitly, in fact they are consuming fire in their bellies, and they will endure the Blaze.
- Quran 4:4-10

If you read through the above verses you will understand what this book is saying, but if you are a person who measures the yardstick with the cloth, you are allowed to be illogical and egoistic. Polygamy is not Islam, but a concoction attributed to it. What do you think?

sooda

Veteran Member
As I understand it they can have only four wives at any given time. What are you trying to say?

firedragon

Veteran Member
As I understand it they can have only four wives at any given time. What are you trying to say?

Where does it say they can have four wives? I dont understand your comment. im sure you have not understood the post brother.

Or did you respond to the heading and not the post?

sooda

Veteran Member
Where does it say they can have four wives? I dont understand your comment. im sure you have not understood the post brother.

Or did you respond to the heading and not the post?

I read it. Where did it come from? A Muslim can have four wives at once and must provide for them equally. If he wants another wife, he has to divorce one.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Source is important... I still don't get the point.. also I am female.

I was thinking you are female but see I have been getting these things wrong and corrected so many times its embarrassing. So sis, sorry, I shall try my best to remember you are female, again.

Anyway, there is no source but the verses and the words I have quoted. So the foundation has to appeal to its own authority.

Also, the point is, its not polygamy. The whole point is that. I think its not written well.

sooda

Veteran Member
I was thinking you are female but see I have been getting these things wrong and corrected so many times its embarrassing. So sis, sorry, I shall try my best to remember you are female, again.

Anyway, there is no source but the verses and the words I have quoted. So the foundation has to appeal to its own authority.

Also, the point is, its not polygamy. The whole point is that. I think its not written well.

Are you a Muslim? It was written in Arabic.

Maybe Pickthal has a better translation.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Most might not be able to access this, but it deals with apparent 'Pleasure Marriages' in Iraq:

BBC iPlayer - Undercover with the Clerics: Iraq’s Secret Sex Trade

To summarise, undercover reporters posed as those seeking short-term marriages (often known as pleasure marriages, and lasting from hours to a day perhaps and then annulled) - which seemingly is ordained by some Islamic Clerics (for money) - and where the ages of any females can be nine years and above - as long as sexual activities were restricted. I won't go into the details but restricted hardly means what it should and most elsewhere would regard what happens as child rape - and prostitution - or simply child sexual abuse.

Any comments on this, and is it apparently allowed via the Qur'an - that is, temporary marriages?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Most might not be able to access this, but it deals with apparent 'Pleasure Marriages' in Iraq:

To summarise, undercover reporters posed as those seeking short-term marriages (often known as pleasure marriages, and lasting from hours to a day perhaps and then annulled) - which seemingly is ordained by some Islamic Clerics (for money) - and where the ages of any females can be nine years and above - as long as sexual activities were restricted. I won't go into the details but restricted hardly means what it should and most elsewhere would regard what happens as child rape - and prostitution - or simply child sexual abuse.

Any comments on this, and is it apparently allowed via the Qur'an - that is, temporary marriages?

Not relevant in the least bit. Unless you wish to open some topic about some sex trade or what ever you wish to discuss.

Just not relevant to the post.

sooda

Veteran Member

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't understand anything about the orphans.

Ah. See, that verse is specific about orphans. It's all about orphans. Noy about regular women. So the point is, even if men believe this verse is about marrying more than one woman, it's only about orphans. So they are lying. Its obvious. Blatant fact.

Second, all the evidence says that this verse is not talking about marrying them but marrying them off.