• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll

Is there anything wrong with loving yourself more than others?

• 1. Absolutely

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • 2. No way

• 3. I don’t know.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 4. Not if the others are mean.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 5. I have another answer.

• Total voters

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I said absolutely. It isn't even a truthful view of the world. Does anything exist apart as an island unto itself? The food we eat everyday is not of ourselves.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Demanding disciples?

‘You must love your neighbor as yourself”[/COLOR]

This was a reply to someone testing him....not his disciples.

You're right, but my point was Jesus was saying that you must love others as you love yourself. In other words (IMHO) you can't love another until you learn how to love yourself.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You're right, but my point was Jesus was saying that you must love others as you love yourself. In other words (IMHO) you can't love another until you learn how to love yourself.

Ummmm...I thought that is what I said....
297.gif

Here is what I said....
"So, it is necessary to think something of ourselves but there are obviously limits, and a sound mind will set those limits.

There was a song decades ago by George Benson called "the Greatest Love of All" and in it he said that "leaning to love yourself is the greatest love of all".....he was right, but for the reason that Paul outlined above. It IS necessary to love yourself but not to the exclusion of others...as Paul said in Philippians 2:3-4...."Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, 4 as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others."

We must have some self interest in order to have the will to be interested in anyone else...even God."

Did you read something else? :shrug:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Ummmm...I thought that is what I said....
297.gif

Here is what I said....
"So, it is necessary to think something of ourselves but there are obviously limits, and a sound mind will set those limits.

There was a song decades ago by George Benson called "the Greatest Love of All" and in it he said that "leaning to love yourself is the greatest love of all".....he was right, but for the reason that Paul outlined above. It IS necessary to love yourself but not to the exclusion of others...as Paul said in Philippians 2:3-4...."Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, 4 as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others."

We must have some self interest in order to have the will to be interested in anyone else...even God."

Did you read something else? :shrug:

My bad..

syo

we ought to love ourselves AND others. as long as we love everybody including ourselves the ''more'' disappears.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
In being selfless, I apply discretion, and i have gained much in helping others as I see they deserve.

In being selfish, I came upon a desperate need of self, and to know myself, and in knowing myself I found love, and I was relieved that I didn't find something worse.

So in being selfish, I decided, to be fair with myself.

And in being selfless, I proceeded to be fair with others, as they deserve.

And love grew out of that. And I was pleased.

So if you love yourself, I would consider yourself , very, very, glad indeed. For there is no neglect of self. And it's easier to love others. Even people who don't deserve it.