• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Would you ban the Nazi Flag?

Would you ban the Swastica/the Nazi Flag?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Don't Know/Other

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laika

Premium Member
It's a very simple poll question for you to vote on and debate. Do you believe that the Swastika, the flag of the NSDAP or "Nazi" Party should be banned in the United States (or your own country). The vote is private, you can change your votes if you decide to later and the poll will close after 14 days/two weeks. What do you think on the subject? :)

Edit: Here is a link to a discussion and poll on banning Communist symbols from 2016. (16 out of 18 votes were against such a ban.)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's a very simple poll question for you to vote on and debate. Do you believe that the Swastika, the flag of the NSDAP or "Nazi" Party should be banned in the United States (or your own country). The vote is private, you can change your votes if you decide to later and the poll will close after 14 days/two weeks. What do you think on the subject? :)

800px-Flag_of_the_NSDAP_%281920%E2%80%931945%29.svg.png
No.

I stand that a free country must include the freedom to express oneself , even if its contradictory to the values of that free country.

To do otherwise would cause one to become the very object one is banning.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Edit: Here is a link to a discussion and poll on banning Communist symbols from 2016. (16 out of 18 votes were against such a ban.)
No, it seems to be a solution looking for a problem. Haven't we all got far more important things to worry about?

I think it is time the swastika got reclaimed. It is a very ancient symbol (for the sun?), that I have seen across the Far East in quite politically neutral religious contexts.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
If a symbol is banned, and fascists use alternatives, then would schools change the depiction of the actual nazi flag that was being used as well in their history books?
I don't think that would be possible or even desirable. I'd guess any legislation would frame it around banning types of use currently and in the future.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Swastika is actually a Sanskrit term for an ancient religious symbol that was adopted by the Nazi party for their flag. I frown on banning religious symbols.

The word swastika comes from Sanskrit: स्वस्तिक, romanized: svastika, meaning "conducive to well-being".[7][8] In Hinduism, the right-facing symbol (卐) is called swastika, symbolizing surya ("sun"), prosperity and good luck, while the left-facing symbol (卍) is called sauwastika, symbolising night or tantric aspects of Kali.[8] In Jainism, a swastika is the symbol for Suparshvanatha – the seventh of 24 Tirthankaras (spiritual teachers and saviours), while in Buddhism it symbolises the auspicious footprints of the Buddha.[8][9][10] In several major Indo-European religions, the swastika symbolises lightning bolts, representing the thunder godand the king of the gods, such as Indra in Vedic Hinduism, Zeus in the ancient Greek religion, Jupiter in the ancient Roman religion, and Thor in the ancient Germanic religion.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
That said, I think the Nazi flag should be subject to the same governance as the rebel flag. Neither should be banned. People should be free to label themselves bigots.