• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Who Believes in the Trinity?

Do you believe in the Trinity?

• Yes, as this doctrine is described in the Nicene and Athanasian Creeds.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • No, but I do believe in divinity of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • No. I believe that Jesus, while a great teacher, can in no way be considered "God."

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Omer said:
Hi everyone, Katzpur, AV1611, Maize and others;

Been reading all the posts, and i'm quite educated about the LDS belief in God and what more:)
I chose the third one, and I think like Maize, the Unitarian belief in Jesus Christ as a teacher makes enough sense. What's more, he was a prophet, and one of the greatest prophets, the world has ever seen.
If He was a prophet, Omer, do you believe He would have claimed that no one would be able to come to God except through Him? For someone who was "just a prophet" to say something like that, sounds like blasphemy to me.

Omer

Hi Katzpur;

This makes all sense. He said thus because the best way to reach the Truth is through God's own messenger , thus His most beloved prophets, like Jesus. And wording "just a prophet"...To make things clear, I can say when i say prophet, i specifically mean God's messenger on earth, so "just a prophet" doesn't apply to this, IMHO.

arthra

Baha'i
I voted "other" because in my belief God is One ..His Spirit like the rays of the sun are perfectly reflected in a Mirror or the Manifestation of God..so this a kind of trinity but not like the one developed as doctrine historically.

Abdul-Baha taught regarding the Trinity:

"The epitome of the discourse is that the Reality of Christ was a clear mirror, and the Sun of Reality--that is to say, the Essence of Oneness, with its infinite perfections and attributes--became visible in the mirror. The meaning is not that the Sun, which is the Essence of the Divinity, became divided and multiplied--for the Sun is one--but it appeared in the mirror. This is why Christ said, "The Father is in the Son," meaning that the Sun is visible and manifest in this mirror.

The Holy Spirit is the Bounty of God which becomes visible and evident in the Reality of Christ."

- Art

robtex

Veteran Member
I want to make a point on christianty and the trinity if I may . Many Christians have two thoughts on the trinity that exist in the same notion to them

1) God is tribune
2) God is everywhere.

If you are a Christian who believes in both I would ask you

1) Why the two are not mutually exclusive to you?
2) why does it matter if god is tribune or not if he is everywhere anyway?

lunamoth

Will to love
Creed-saying Trinitarian here. :) It's Mystery folks, so hold it like a dove, firmly but don't squash it.

Hey, I heard a nice sermon about the Trinity this past Sunday, which was Trinity Sunday by the way. Of course the story starts off with the disclaimer that the Trinity is Mystery, so all analogies fall short, but as humans we need some words to connect with any idea, so here goes. The Trinity is like a river, like the Colorado River. You go to Arizona to visit the Grand Canyon and you can see the creation of the river, etched out of rock over millions of years. You've experience the river as Creator. You take a canoe down the Colorado, dip your feet into it, swim, fish, explore its character, the calm pools and the rapids. You've experienced the Face of the river. But there are also farms that are irrigated by the water of the Colorado, and water is taken from it for many uses and applications. You've experienced the Work done by the river as it makes a real impact on our daily lives. These are not three different roles of the river, but three different ways of experiencing the river. The river is not doing anything different from one experience to the next. And that is what the Trinity is, our three different human experiences of one God.

The Trinity is also relationship, love relationship, love between the Persons of the Trinity and that love flowing to us, through us, to each other, and back to God. God is eternal and that love relationship is eternal, not dependent upon humans but we are the beneficiaries of this love.

Robtex referrred to the idea that God is three Person in Unity and God is everywhere. I don't really see any confict in these ideas. God is everywhere and more than everywhere, we live in God, yet God is not creation. When we participate in love we are participating in God, we are stepping into that cycle of love among the Persons of the Trinity.

lunamoth

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

The trinity is essentially a man-made concept only mentioned minimally in the Bible and not at all in other scriptures!

As to Jesus, we Baha'is see Him as a God-sent Divine Messenger. As such He (like other Messengers) was the mouthpiece of God on earth, and it was thus correct to refer to HIm as God even though He was not literally God Himself! (All Divine Messengers have a dual station, being both ordinary humans AND God's mouthpiece, as explained in the Baha'i scriptures in The Book of Certitude).

Regards, :)

Bruce

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes, as this doctrine is described in the Nicene and Athanasian Creeds.