• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Which country currently is the biggest laughing stock?

As per title.

• Russia

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • USA

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • North Korea

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Afghanistan

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • China

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • UK

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Iran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Israel

• Saudi Arabia

• Total voters

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm a little uncomfortable calling someone's country a 'laughingstock'. In my mind, to do that, one is probably equating a country with its politics and politicians
... which are elected or at least tolerated by the people so I have no scruple there.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
... which are elected or at least tolerated by the people so I have no scruple there.

Sometimes. Sometimes a population isn't given much to pick from(the old Southpark episode comes to mind). Other times, you're dealing with folks seizing or holding power(I think we can say that for several countries on the list).

Heyo

Veteran Member
Sometimes. Sometimes a population isn't given much to pick from(the old Southpark episode comes to mind). Other times, you're dealing with folks seizing or holding power(I think we can say that for several countries on the list).
The three who made my list have or at one time had free elections. That two of them have drifted into "failed democracy" territory was preventable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But why? (Not even heard of the former). :shrug:
Oh, you've not owned British motorcycles or cars.
Lucas Electric is known as the Prince Of Darkness.
Know why Limeys drink warm beer? Lucas makes the fridges.
Lucas invented the 3 position switch....on, off, & flicker.

And about British teeth, again....

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Oh, you've not owned British motorcycles or cars.
Lucas Electric is known as the Prince Of Darkness.
Know why Limeys drink warm beer? Lucas makes the fridges.
Lucas invented the 3 position switch....on, off, & flicker.

And about British teeth, again....
That's a bit niche! Is that like Ford stands for Found on roadside dead? :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
R.9225ae638c68cf6fe0d4a509c1a0208c

Facts often are

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why isn't France on your list of choices? Here in the US, France is probably the one we laugh at most often. Canada too.
Maybe so, but does France stick out like a sore thumb amongst all other nations? And unfortunately we are limited to ten choices in polls. :(

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not sure I've got the vibe here. The only country that seems a "laughing stock" to me is the UK. I could vote for some of those countries on the poll, but not because they make me laugh, if you get my drift...
Probably more seen as being worthy of mockery or to be pilloried - because of being so out of touch with reality perhaps? :oops:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Though far from perfect we have had a massive improvement. It is time to hand over the crown to the new king Great Britain. Let's hope that they do not hold on to that title for too long..

I would have North Korea up there, they are like Afghanistan more in the pathetic mode, though they have the excuse that their dictatorship was not self imposed. It was imposed on them. Afghanistan does not have that excuse.

I was thinking in terms of comedy and I had just seen the Dr. Oz political ad where he shoots at things.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I thought about that but decided that right now it has to be Russia. What a huge series of blunders and own-goals! Invasion a total failure, but which has Forced Sweden and Finland into NATO, while causing implosion of their economy. My only doubt is that I hardly feel like laughing, when they have unleashed so much barbarous destruction.

Perhaps in that sprit the UK makes a more suitable object of derision. Another series of own-goals, with an untrustworthy buffoon as premier, presiding over a government mostly of 3rd rate idiots and lickspittles.
I too thought of Russia but decided it didn't answer the 'laughing stock' element of the thread.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I feel Russia right now because it totally failed to steamroll a much smaller nation.
I'm personally laughing at England because they (and black people) invented modern music, gave us Sabbath and Judas Priest and Zepplin and the Stones and the Clash and Sex Pistols but they can't win Eurovision.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I feel Russia right now because it totally failed to steamroll a much smaller nation.
I'm personally laughing at England because they (and black people) invented modern music, gave us Sabbath and Judas Priest and Zepplin and the Stones and the Clash and Sex Pistols but they can't win Eurovision.
Would Sabbath want to win Eurovision? :eek:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The USA is heading inexorably to giving control of the legislative branch of government back to the party not only permitted but encouraged that absolute lunacy of the the Trump/MAGA debacle. To give control of the Senate back to Mitch McConnell, whose vast hypocrisy quite literally stacked the Supreme Court. To give control of the House to Kevin McCarthy, who knew (so we understand from the tapes) what was right on Jan 6, 2020, but decided to kiss the *** of the man he knew had to resign.

This is so totally irrational as to be beyond belief, for me.

Or maybe I'm just too stupid to see the wisdom -- in which case who can show me why it's wisdom?