• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Theist, Atheist, Agnostic, Other

Which are you: Theist, Atheist, Agnostic, Other (explain)?

• Theist

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Atheist

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

Hacker

retrorich said:
Which are are you:

Theist, atheist, Agnostic, Other (explain)?
I believe in some sort of higher power, whatever you want to call it, maybe divine intelligence...to explain why?? it's just how I feel and even if I do question whether or not God does exist, my mind doesn't allow me to even conclude the answer to be NO, even if I test myself. Why, I don't know, I guess because I just have that feeling that humans aren't the highest intelligent creatures on the face of this earth simply because of the many questions that are unanswered about the universe, which is so huge, like, we don't even know how to define the size of it or anthing, its such a mystery.Someone or something created us, cause we can't create matter out of nothing and we can't create for instance a brain out of nothing or humans out of nothing(excluding cloning and reproduction). It would be pretty scary to think that we are the most intelligent beings, it would be very odd to me personally and just crazy! What would that define me as?:D Maybe deist, I don't know, lol.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I'm an Apatheist.

I personally find that questions like "Does God Exist?" or "Do You Believe in God?" are neither useful, nor interesting, because they ask me to speculate about the nature of some external "thing" that apparently nobody can, or is supposed to (if I read most religions right), meaningfully define by any reference other than their own subjective experience. If the question is understood as "Do you believe I had an experience of something I call 'God'?" the answer, of course, depends on whether you tell me you did - in which case, I'll just take your word for it. But I don't think that's what most people mean when they ask these questions.

Now, if you ask me whether I believe "dog" exists, that I might be able to answer. Unlike "God," of course, it is permissible and possible to discuss our subjective experiences associated with "dog," and reach some reasonable facsimile of shared meaning (though there are no guarantees ).

the doppleganger

gnostic

The Lost One
Fence-sitter.... :seesaw: (Damn! There's no smiley of him sitting on a fence.:()

...Ok, ok. I'm agnostic. :rolleyes:

Can't a guy have a little simple fun around here? :drunk:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Booko said:
I chose "other" because I'm both a theist and an agnostic.
Would you mind explaing what you mean here? I'm truly interested. I've always kind of thought that it is only possible to be a believing agnostic or a disbelieving agnostic. In other words, I'd say that 99.999999% of the human race can't possibly know for sure that God does or does not exist. As far as I'm concerned, the probability that He does is overwhelming, but until after I die, I can't know for sure. Is that what you were getting at, or was it something else entirely?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
*looks in vain for an 'all of the above' option*

(I'd also include several tablespoons of pantheism, before bringing myself to boil for a nice 20 minutes :))

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
Would you mind explaing what you mean here? I'm truly interested. I've always kind of thought that it is only possible to be a believing agnostic or a disbelieving agnostic. In other words, I'd say that 99.999999% of the human race can't possibly know for sure that God does or does not exist. As far as I'm concerned, the probability that He does is overwhelming, but until after I die, I can't know for sure. Is that what you were getting at, or was it something else entirely?

Theist or atheist describes whether you believe (or think) a God exists.

Agnostic can mean "I'm not sure" or even "Who cares?"

But it can also refer to the chance you think there is one can prove it either way. I think it's way beyond "proof" and always will be, so I'm an agnostic.

gnomon

I vote other. Basically nothing.

I don't feel I can correctly reveal my views by proclaiming myself an atheist since that may still mean that I believe in some sort of spiritual world. I don't. I guess I could call myself a-spiritual to denote that I do not believe in god(s), spirit, soul or any sort of paranormal phenomenon. Materialist would correctly describe me but it holds the connotation of greed and what not.

I guess I'll stick with irrelevant or maybe go for apathetic.