• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: The Virus Lockdown Threshold

What mortality rate of a highly contagious disease warrants an indefinitely long lockdown?

• 0.001-0.1%--We should lockdown permanently, in case the common cold spreads to the vulnerable.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 0.1-0.3%--We should have mandatory lockdowns for 4-6 months of the year every flu season.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.3-0.6%--We whould have mandatory lockdowns during particularly bad flu seasons.

• 0.6-1%--Indefinite lockdown for COVID is justified, but just barely.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 1-2%

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 2-5%

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 5-10%

• 10-25%

• 25-50%

• > 50%

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All warrant an "indefinite" shut down until it's understood
well enuf to formulate a response strategy.

Remember, "indefinite" does not mean permanent.
It's just not defined how long.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
New research has indicated that the mortality rate of the coronavirus is approximately 0.66% (Novel coronavirus death rate is lower than previously reported, study says, but it's still deadlier than seasonal flu - CNN).

So, what is the threshold?
The threshold, for the umpteenth time, is nothing to do with the mortality rate. Stop re-introducing this irrelevant criterion all the time.

The threshold is set by the maximum rate of hospitalisations that can be handled without the health system breaking down. How many times does this have to be explained to you?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Rational Agnostic

Are we really voting on how many should die before we inconvenience ourselves?

Sorry, I refuse to play your stupid game.

Then you should vote (A): "0.001 - 0.1%. We should lockdown permanently in case the common cold spreads to the vulnerable."

After all, people WILL die from complications of the common cold. So, while it may inconvenience us, permanent, legally-enforced agoraphobia is necessary and morally correct to prevent deaths. Correct?

Rational Agnostic

The threshold, for the umpteenth time, is nothing to do with the mortality rate. Stop re-introducing this irrelevant criterion all the time.

The threshold is set by the maximum rate of hospitalisations that can be handled without the health system breaking down. How many times does this have to be explained to you?

Mortality rate and rate of hospitalizations are correlated. So to say that the threshold has nothing to do with the mortality rate is obviously a false statement.

So, your vote should be based upon the mortality rate that you think will translate to a rate of hospitalizations that breaks the health system down, based on the known facts about the correlation between mortality rate and rate of hospitalization. The question is: What mortality rate is this?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Then you should vote (A): "0.001 - 0.1%. We should lockdown permanently in case the common cold spreads to the vulnerable."

After all, people WILL die from complications of the common cold. So, while it may inconvenience us, permanent, legally-enforced agoraphobia is necessary and morally correct to prevent deaths. Correct?

Is the common cold a pandemic?

You're comparing apples to oranges SpaghettiOs.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Mortality rate and rate of hospitalizations are correlated. So to say that the threshold has nothing to do with the mortality rate is obviously a false statement.

So, your vote should be based upon the mortality rate that you think will translate to a rate of hospitalizations that breaks the health system down, based on the known facts about the correlation between mortality rate and rate of hospitalization. The question is: What mortality rate is this?
Start here:
Why It’s So Freaking Hard To Make A Good COVID-19 Model

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Are we really voting on how many should die before we inconvenience ourselves?

Sorry, I refuse to play your stupid game.

I myself am staunchly in favor of playing every possible stupid game there is with this virus. But then, I am RF's Official Village Idiot -- even if the OP admittedly out-drools me.

Rational Agnostic

Is the common cold a pandemic?

You're comparing apples to oranges SpaghettiOs.

pan·dem·ic
/panˈdemik/

Learn to pronounce

adjective
adjective: pandemic
(of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.

The common cold is prevalent over the whole world, and it leads to complications such as pneumonia that can lead to death, especially in older individuals. 24/7/365 Legally enforced agoraphobia, though an inconvenience to many of us, would prevent deaths due to the common cold. You say that we should not decide how many people should die before we inconvenience ourselves, implying that we should always inconvenience ourselves if it means preventing deaths. Yet, if you've not been agoraphobic in the past, you're guilty of behavior that risks the lives of others. Thus, whether you admit it or not, your behavior demonstrates that you do have a threshold, but are just uncomfortable discussing it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
New research has indicated that the mortality rate of the coronavirus is approximately 0.66% (Novel coronavirus death rate is lower than previously reported, study says, but it's still deadlier than seasonal flu - CNN).

So, what is the threshold?

"...
In an article accompanying the research, Shigui Ruan, a professor of mathematics at the University of Miami, emphasized that estimating the coronavirus death rate "in real time during its epidemic is very challenging."
But understanding how many people die from a virus, he said, is an important piece of data that can help guide responses from governments and public health authorities.
Ruan, who was not involved with the research, also noted that the coronavirus fatality rate is low for younger people. But he stressed that "it is very clear that any suggestion of COVID-19 being just like influenza is false," with coronavirus remaining far deadlier than the seasonal flu. ..."

Now read the link I gave you.

Regards
Mikkel

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
pan·dem·ic
/panˈdemik/

Learn to pronounce

adjective
adjective: pandemic
(of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.

The common cold is prevalent over the whole world, and it leads to complications such as pneumonia that can lead to death, especially in older individuals. 24/7/365 Legally enforced agoraphobia, though an inconvenience to many of us, would prevent deaths due to the common cold. You say that we should not decide how many people should die before we inconvenience ourselves, implying that we should always inconvenience ourselves if it means preventing deaths. Yet, if you've not been agoraphobic in the past, you're guilty of behavior that risks the lives of others. Thus, whether you admit it or not, your behavior demonstrates that you do have a threshold, but are just uncomfortable discussing it.

Are you seriously implying the common cold is a pandemic? Learn what a pandemic is, my friend.

"A pandemic (from Greek πᾶν, pan, 'all' and δῆμος, demos, 'people') is an epidemic of disease that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents, or worldwide. A widespread endemic disease with a stable number of infected people is not a pandemic. Further, flu pandemics generally exclude recurrences of seasonal flu.

Throughout history, there have been a number of pandemics of diseases such as smallpox and tuberculosis. One of the most devastating pandemics was the Black Death (also known as The Plague), which killed an estimated 75–200 million people in the 14th century. Other notable pandemics include the 1918 influenza pandemic (Spanish flu) and the 2009 flu pandemic (H1N1). Current pandemics include HIV/AIDS and the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic."
Pandemic - Wikipedia

Look, hundreds of thousands of people choke to death every year and we've not banned food and shut down the economy for that.

What have the so-called experts got to say about that then, eh? :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
All warrant an "indefinite" shut down until it's understood
well enuf to formulate a response strategy.

Remember, "indefinite" does not mean permanent.
It's just not defined how long.
Uh oh. I agree with you again.

The real question is how we know when it's time to end the lockdown. And other question is how we end it. Hopefully all the research going on will result in a mass test to know who has had it and that will help guide the ending of the lockdown.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a question that only professionals in the relevant medical fields can answer. I fail to see what it would achieve to ask this question of random forum posters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Uh oh. I agree with you again.

The real question is how we know when it's time to end the lockdown. And other question is how we end it. Hopefully all the research going on will result in a mass test to know who has had it and that will help guide the ending of the lockdown.
I'm sure that our beloved glorious leaders will find the perfect balance.