• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: The Net Effect of the Left and the Right Wing on Human Rights in Your Country

In your own country:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Republicans cater to their voters and Democrats cater to their voters. Some Republicans are common people like some Democrats are common people. But lately the Democratic party has sworn allegiance towards the corporate left. The Democrat Party receives more donations from the elite than Republicans, that's been a fact for well over a decade by now. The Democratic Party gives you the illusion they care more about you, they don't. But I would argue that the Republican Party really doesn't either, honestly. They are simply trying to represent the people that vote for them.
This article says that it is the other way around. At least for electing governors:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...in-how-democrats-and-republicans-raise-money/

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
This article says that it is the other way around. At least for electing governors:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...in-how-democrats-and-republicans-raise-money/

I thought Washington Post leaned conservative too. Very interesting.

600px-Political_donations.webp.png

I honestly have no idea who "Sheldon Adelson" is or if his money is tied to corporations.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In discussions with a subset of self-identified centrists, I noticed that some of them identify as such partially or mainly due to a perception that the effects of both the left and right wings of politics are equally or almost equally problematic.

I'm interested to see whether people here consider either the left or the right to be currently better or worse than the other for human rights in their own country—with the politics of each considered comprehensively, not just in terms of either social or fiscal policies to the exclusion of the other.

I voted "The net effect of both on human rights is equal or almost equal." I view both as fundamentally harmful to human rights in my country at this time, albeit for different reasons. I don't identify as a centrist, though.

Hmmm...when it comes down to Brazil:
1) Only the far left supports abortion rights openly.
2) The left, as a whole, supports protecting the environment. The right doesn't really care about it.
3) Neither the left nor the right supports free speech to the point that americans do.
4) Gun rights, in a way that is similar to what an ordinary Democrat would support, are a right-wing thing. Gun rights, as of now in the US, are a far right desire strictly speaking.

Those are the hot topics that come to my mind.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In discussions with a subset of self-identified centrists, I noticed that some of them identify as such partially or mainly due to a perception that the effects of both the left and right wings of politics are equally or almost equally problematic.

I'm interested to see whether people here consider either the left or the right to be currently better or worse than the other for human rights in their own country—with the politics of each considered comprehensively, not just in terms of either social or fiscal policies to the exclusion of the other.

I voted "The net effect of both on human rights is equal or almost equal." I view both as fundamentally harmful to human rights in my country at this time, albeit for different reasons. I don't identify as a centrist, though.
This week, my (right wing) provincial government was found by the courts to have violated public sector workers' constitutional rights. Rather than back down, they've decided to appeal.

Last month, the same government voted to suspend the constitutional rights of public school support staff and only backed down when they were threatened with a general strike.

In my country, the right wing consistently tries to undermine the rights and freedoms of its citizens. The left wing is what pushes back.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Canada's universal health-care system (though it has some warts and blemishes, as will anything that ages) was the result of an immense effort by what was, at the time, Canada's most left-wing party. It was a Liberal government that ended capital punishment, that gave us same-sex marriage -- and always in the face of opposition from conservatives in our nation.

In all Canadian elections, the left must be careful to grill conservative candidates about what they intend to do about many of these issues -- and the fact of the matter is that "social conservatives" who admit they'd reverse many of those civil liberties lose.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I voted before I read your post. I see that you emphasized "currently" as opposed to over the grand scale of history. However, I would still say that the right-wing poses the greater threat to human rights. Of course, my view of the left-wing and right-wing might be somewhat different than how others might see it. I don't see the left-wing as much of a threat because the left-wing holds very little power in this country.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
3) Neither the left nor the right supports free speech to the point that americans do.

I would say that's to the credit of both political wings in your country. In my opinion, the concept of unrestricted (or almost so) "free speech" as currently seen in the US is both harmful and overly idealistic. It's also a global anomaly, as most countries don't subscribe to it.

There are multiple countries that consistently outrank the US in more than one metric on freedom indices, and they all have laws against hate speech (e.g., banning Nazi symbolism and speech, as in Germany, Sweden, and the Netherlands).