• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should ALL drugs be legalized?

Should all drugs be legalized?

• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No, but I do believe some drugs may be decriminalized for mere possession.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, will make treatment easier, they can be regulated and taxed, free up jail cells, save money and free up some drugs for medical research.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If by legalized you mean unregulated I would say an emphatic No. But there's a big gray area here that your poll doesn't take into account.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am a very strong supporter of legalization, taxation, and regulation. Treatment becomes easier, overall usage goes down, and the state makes and saves tons of money, and the cartels are dealt hefty blows that some will not survive.
Everything else has been a miserable, utter, and total failure.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I am a very strong supporter of legalization, taxation, and regulation. Treatment becomes easier, overall usage goes down, and the state makes and saves tons of money, and the cartels are dealt hefty blows that some will not survive.

"Everything else has been a miserable, utter, and total failure."

Including legalization.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If legalized,
I suppose consideration as to what drugs actually do to people and how it affects lives is off the table.

I'm more proponent of Education and reasonable sentencing guidelines that actually fit the crime rather than Draconian blanket laws.

idav

Being
Premium Member
No but I love this lyric from System of a Down.

"All research and successful drug policy shows that treatment should be increased and law enforcement decreased while abolishing mandatory minimum sentences"

Not legalized but we could afford to be more lenient, at the very least not stick drug offenders with our rapists and murders.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
All drugs which have a clinical value should be prescribeable. No one should be jailed for simple use of a drug. But I think there are truly destructive drugs that should not be legal to manufacture and sell.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The OP header had emphasized ALL drugs.
Which is why I wrote post #4. Legalization isn't an absolute.
There's a huge gray area between legalizing everything all the time for everyone and sensible regulations on things, based on evidence concerning what works and what doesn't.
Regulation? I can just imagine what that would be like.
A mess. That's just how it is because people like recreational drugs. And we live in a free country. So the real goal should be maximize usefulness and minimize damage. You can't do either the way things are now.
Tom

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The War on drugs is much like what Prohibition did for alcohol. Without government regulation and basic health and safety enforcement (for obvious reasons) the substance (whatever it is) is far more prone to be poisonous to the addict or even the "experimenter." It has created such a lucrative black market that people will kill for it and the worst criminals have built their empires on the blood of addicts and citizen alike.
Drug addiction is treated as a crime instead of what it is. A public health concern.
This war does more harm than good. It is an absolute failure.

Regulate the market, get addicts to come out of the shadows, be pragmatic. Allow for research, allow for respite and health concerns to be addressed. Allow addicts to actually turn their life around instead of holding a criminal record over them for mere possession or being addicted. And yes that does mean the drugs will be "cleaner" but it's better than letting people inject themselves with rat poison.

People will search for a high. That is just how humans work. Regulating that with legalization is the safer approach, imo.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I know that is thread is about *all* drugs, but I find it funny how some people perceive cannabis to be this heinous social menace, but have no qualms with the availability of alcohol and its consumption, despite the later being far more addicting, unhealthy, and dangerous than the former. You can't oppose the legalization of cannabis without also supporting another prohibition of alcohol, otherwise you would be a two-face hypocrite.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Are people like you and @Jeremiahcp simply unable to read the word "regulations" ? It's right there in @Shadow Wolf post.
Tom

Sorry, if I am not keen on the idea of legalizing meth just because you want to regulate it, guess I am just funny that way.

All we need is more corporate nonsense lobbying regulations and putting out false misleading information so they can cash in on more types of highly addictive poison. Yep, that is a brilliant idea, because we all know big business is super duper moral and they would never try to influence those regulations at the cost of consumer health.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sorry, if I am not keen on the idea of legalizing meth just because you want to regulate it, guess I am just funny that way.
I think meth would go away if safer and legal alternatives were available.
I want results. I don't want feel good ideological statements. I guess I am just funny that way.
Tom

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I think meth would go away if safer and legal alternatives were available.
I want results. I don't want feel good ideological statements. I guess I am just funny that way.
Tom

Oh well, if you think this incredibly destructive and additive drug is just going to go away. . . . :rolleyes: