• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which of these listed rituals do you continue to practice on a regular basis?

• Total voters

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
@Jayhawker Soule

Keep in mind ive only been a pagan since i was 16 was unable to read much on paganism till I was 18 due to a restrictive household and only recently in the past few months been able to afford a lot of books on the topic. Ive been mostly focused on mythology how certain gods are worshipped,basics of paganism, and on luciferianism. Most of my knowledge is from other pagans. I'm still piecing together theology. If almsgiving is charity work and giving to the needy from what I read googling it then i do do that often sometimes as an offering to a deity.

Last edited:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
@Jayhawker Soule

Keep in mind ive only been a pagan since i was 16 was unable to read much on it till I was 18 due to a restrictive household and only recently in the past few months been able to afford a lot of books on the topic. Ive been mostly focused on mythology how certain gods are worshipped,basics of paganism, and on luciferianism. Im still piecing together theology. If almsgiving is charity work and giving to the needy from what I read googling it then i do do that often sometimes as an offering to a deity.
You always have the ability to change your answer.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
So is that what it is? Giving to the needy?
By tithing/almsgiving what I really meant is if you donate to your church as a ritual it should be included. Typically (good) religions will take money from tithing and almsgiving and give it to the poor. If you directly give money or food to the poor as a ritual and on a continuous basis, just select it. I was trying to imply that the money should be given directly to your religion to be part of religious ritual, so it's up to you how to decide how you want to answer the question. I think with or without the religious component if one of your rituals is giving assistance to the poor, you should select it, even if I didn't attend it to be answered that way.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If you directly give money or food to the poor as a ritual and on a continuous basis, just select it.
I do give to the poor and to charity as an offering to the divine sometimes. I dont give to a religious organization. So I'll go select it based on your last sentence of it being giving assistence to the poor

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
The pitiful 8.3% showing achieved by Tithing/Almsgiving speaks volumes, and it's a pretty depressing soliloquy.

Before I moved to Korea, I always gave 10% of my income to a Hindu charity that serves the humanitarian needs of people without discrimination. When I finally get my information authenticated in my Korean banking app—which is very challenging due to security here—I will be able to donate every month again. Anyway, thanks for judging me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Modest clothing: I dress simple but in a dignified way. I feel that it is important to express self-respect with a dignified manner of dress, and I feel that fancy clothing would promote in me a worldly instead of spiritual mindset.
I think by modest clothing, the OP meant clothing that covers up your body/hair/face, etc. such as a burka, scarf, floor length skirts, etc.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The pitiful 8.3% showing achieved by Tithing/Almsgiving speaks volumes, and it's a pretty depressing soliloquy.
I've never considered giving to the poor/needy a religious ritual.

As far as tithing goes, I never understood why God needs money. I find donating to a church acceptable, but asking for a fixed percentage of income from a congregation is just greedy, especially when there are those that struggle to just put food on the table.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Rites of Passage - by their nature, these are not something that can be practiced regularly because they occur only once and at widely dispersed times in one's life often not of one's own choosing. I wanna hear more from @The Hammer who checked this one because I'm quite curious how that works, or if "rite of passage" is understood more broadly by them

That's a fair inquiry. I missed the part of the OP that said "regularly". So, while birth, death, marriage, initiation,.oath taking, etc are parts of my religious practice, it's certainly not a weekly thing.

Maybe if I ever become full clergy this will be more prominent.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

As far as tithing goes, I never understood why God needs money. I find donating to a church acceptable, but asking for a fixed percentage of income from a congregation is just greedy, especially when there are those that struggle to just put food on the table.
The question asked was:

I know of no faith community that thinks that God needs money and many that believe that giving to the poor on a regular basis is a religious responsibility. In fact, in Judaism one is suppose to five enough to allow the recipient to also give and, thereby, fulfill his or her responsibility. If this bothers you, that is your issue, not mine.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The question asked was:

I know of no faith community that thinks that God needs money and many that believe that giving to the poor on a regular basis is a religious responsibility. In fact, in Judaism one is suppose to five enough to allow the recipient to also give and, thereby, fulfill his or her responsibility. If this bothers you, that is your issue, not mine.
It's not the tithing or almsgiving I have a problem with. A person is free to do with their money whatever they wish. What I take exception to is the religious that pass judgment and scorn those who don't follow their rituals. If you have a problem with me having a problem with this, that's your issue, not mine.

Psalm23

I voted prayer/worship, going to service, modest clothing and celebrating religious holidays.

I tend to dress fairly modest in general though not as much. My ideas have shifted concerning modesty so I'm not as self conscious as I was before.

Lately I've been more consistent with going to services. I would like to improve on generosity.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Could be that the Christians among us were being mindful of Matthew 6:2

“Therefore when thou givest alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee.”
I don't speak for Christians, but I doubt that "sounding a trumpet" is a common Christian euphemism for honestly answering a question.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Once I joined a service in Morristown NJ, with inverse tithing. by chance, since the service was in my hotel. The pastor actually gave me 3 bucks for attending.

i thought that was very smart marketing.

ciao

- viole