• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: OK, who does? (RTFM)

So, do you always read the manual before start-up?

• Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends upon what it is

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The only time I read a manual is if I don't understand how something works after examining it myself.

The car I just bought has a bunch of semi-autonomous driving features on it. Most I was able to figure out on my own. For a couple of things, I did have to refer to the owner's manual.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In my experience a "manual" consists of a small 4 page leaflet, written in three languages. The English section is usually a bad translation from Korean.

Case in point: the full instructions for my new all-singing all-dancing smartphone -

Step 1. Remove from box.
Step 2. Use.

Thank Odin for Youtube, or I'd still be at Step 1.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Erebus

A good chunk of it comes down to how much I spent on the thing. I recently got an unexpected bit of money and bought an Oculus Quest. While it's not especially complicated to set up, I read the manual since if I did somehow break it there's just no way I could have easily afforded a replacement.

The set of earbuds that cost me a tenner? Nah, manual went straight in the bin.

Heyo

Veteran Member
A bit reckless.
Yes, but no risk, no fun.

Actually, I'm the one who often does read the manual, just not for items which are simple or simple to use. And finding out how to use it works better to memorize the functions than reading the manual.
I even read EULAs. That's why I don't have facebook, Skype or other social media apps.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The only time I read a manual is if I don't understand how something works after examining it myself.

The car I just bought has a bunch of semi-autonomous driving features on it. Most I was able to figure out on my own. For a couple of things, I did have to refer to the owner's manual.
This is why I'm driving my Skoda till it dies and will then replace it with another Skoda. Too much to learn, too little time. Why does a car need a bluetooth enabled satnav that synchronises with the smartphone jack backup steering column adjuster? Or is that just me?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I tend to read manuals, not always before i switch on but at the latest soon after. Most things are pretty self explanatory for basic functions but if you want a bit more then read the manual... Except if the instructions got lost on the way from Korean to Englis