• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Lord or Father?

Which of these best describes God?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Which best describes God?

Lord, or Father?

I dislike “Lord” as it has feudal baggage (the language of oppression) and is quite impersonal and can be used to legitimise domination by one group of humans over another

I think “Father” is better because it covers the fact that 1) God created us and 2) that he loves us too and 3) wants a relationship with us - so is therefore analogous to a parent

But what do people think?

Personally I'd much rather God be like a parent to me, as opposed to a king or overlord - and I believe this to be the case

BTW "Other" is also an option, but please elaborate :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Lord, or Father?

I dislike “Lord” as it has feudal baggage (the language of oppression) and is quite impersonal and can be used to legitimise domination by one group of humans over another

I think “Father” is better because it covers the fact that 1) God created us and 2) that he loves us too and 3) wants a relationship with us - so is therefore analogous to a parent

Personally I'd much rather God be like a parent to me, as opposed to a king or overlord - and I believe this to be the case

I'd pick other because Creator is much more distinct and direct. It refers to the nature of the being. God isn't an abrahamic word so abrahamics don't own the word caps or not. Father sounds more patriarchal. I rather see the Creator as a female. Females give birth and take care of their young. The other thing that makes sense is the Wiccan god and goddess. But the one-father thing is man-focused. You can see that in all abrahamic faiths, rituals, traditions, and roles.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Lord, or Father?

From a Baha'i perspective God is unknowable to us but via God's Messengers. As such God is best known by the Name of the Messenger in each age.

I see in this age God is best known as the 'Father', the 'Glory of God', Baha'u'llah.

Great is this day, the Father has given us guidance for this age. That we are to become One human race and worship One God, with the wisdom and laws given by the Glory of God through the Temple of the 'Father'.

That is my view, it is a great quandary for many.

Regards Tony

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I connect more to L-rd. I tend to behave better if I see G-d as a King...

And have not had a great relationship with dad figures.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Friend, guide, teacher, guardian, protector.

Spoken to Sri Krishna by Queen Gandhari in the Mahabharata...

Twameva mata cha pita twameva
Twameva bandush cha sakha twameva
Twameva vidya dravinam twameva
Twameva sarvam mama deva deva

Only you are mother and father [to me], only you.
Only you are kin and friend [to me], only you.
Only you are knowledge and wealth [to me], only you.
Only you are everything my God of Gods..

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Friend, guide, teacher, guardian, protector.

Spoken to Sri Krishna by Queen Gandhari in the Mahabharata...

Twameva mata cha pita twameva
Twameva bandush cha sakha twameva
Twameva vidya dravinam twameva
Twameva sarvam mama deva deva

Only you are mother and father [to me], only you.
Only you are kin and friend [to me], only you.
Only you are knowledge and wealth [to me], only you.
Only you are everything my God of Gods..

Wonderful passage, thank you for sharing it.

I see another way of considering that passage is that God can be known and called by all the Attributes.

The many Names of God all revert to the knowledge of God, no matter what path we have taken for our heart to know God we all find the source of that Love.

Regards Tony

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I prefer "Father" because I never really had an earthly father and I wish I did. It's more personal. I don't like authority figures very much so the "Lord" and "King" stuff aren't my favorites.

74x12

Lord, or Father?

He is both King and Father to His children. If your father were a king then you respect him more. Treat him differently than you would an ordinary father; although you should always respect your father. But the good thing for us is that if our Father is a king then we are royalty also.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

OMG: I say when I have the feeling of awe and wonder (so God is fine with me)
My Guru (Master) is God to me; that's the easiest for me
My Master told me "You are also God" ... still working on that one:D

Lord, or Father?

If one is born anew as Jesus taught, I think it is logical to call God the Father.

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I voted other.
Both Lord and Father are just human attempts to reduce God enough to fit into a man shaped box.
It's comforting to think that God can be made so small It resembles a human figure we can understand, obey, and propitiate, thereby achieving a degree of control.

I think God is more like gravity. It just is, and so things happen.
No plans. No will. No sentience. No emotional attachments. No caring about anything. Gravity has none of those characteristics. Gravity just is. Perfect, eternal, changeless.... It doesn't fit into a human paradigm.
Tom

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Lord, or Father?

"Avinu Malkeinu"--our Father our King. To have only one or the other is to be unbalanced.