• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Lessons in life

Right or wrong to do this, or otherwise?

• OK to do

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Not OK to do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are better methods

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other - and explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Dad slammed as punishment for 'distraught' nine-year-old son divides parents

Basically, the son (aged 9) has been told not to leave his bike outside after playing with it, and to put it in the garage, so that it would be less likely to be stolen. The father, on seeing the bike left out overnight (yet again probably), put it in the boot of his car and expressed surprise when the son anguished over apparently losing it. Later, all was revealed. So, was the father right or wrong to do this, in order to teach his son a lesson?

I tend to side with the dad, since some kids just never learn unless it really affects them so as for the lessons to sink in. Many of us just don't need such harsh lessons in order to learn. Not that harsh actually either since the kid was only deprived of the bike for a short while. Some parents would have thrown the bike on a rubbish heap - has been done with things like game consoles, for example, after repeated warnings of over-use. And what excuse could the kid give? Oh, sorry dad, I'm just a lazy little git! :oops:

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Didn’t open the link since it demanded I accept cookies.

I don’t think from your description that this is extreme though, seems like a good way to teach a lesson harmlessly? How long did he let the kid think the bike was gone?

RestlessSoul

I don’t think from your description that this is extreme though, seems like a good way to teach a lesson harmlessly? How long did he let the kid think the bike was gone?

11 years, apparently. He gave the kid the bike back on his 21st birthday.

Erebus

I went with "There are better methods."

I think the core concept of what he did was right. He demonstrated to his son that it's important to look after his possessions and that there was a good reason why he should put the bike in the garage. He also returned the bike undamaged.

The problem I have with this is that he kept the lie going. That lesson could have been learned in under ten minutes with the dad coming clean about what he did. The message, "You were lucky it was me who saw it rather than a thief," would still stand. Aside from causing an argument with his wife, he could have inadvertently taught his son another lesson, "Dad lies to me."

His wife was also well within her rights to be angry that he didn't tell her what he was doing.

That said, I'm not a parent and have no intention to become one so my opinion here is perhaps of limited value.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I side with the dad who no doubt taught a lesson that the kid was refusing to learn. Im betting the child doesn't leave his bike outside any more.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Just delete them all - as when closing a browser. I don't appear to have any issues, but then I do have anti-advert and tracking weaponry. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Basically, the son (aged 9) has been told not to leave his bike outside after playing with it, and to put it in the garage, so that it would be less likely to be stolen. The father, on seeing the bike left out overnight (yet again probably), put it in the boot of his car and expressed surprise when the son anguished over apparently losing it. Later, all was revealed. So was the father right or wrong to do this, in order to teach his son a lesson?

I tend to side with the dad, since some kids just never learn unless it really affects them so as for the lessons to sink in. Many of us just don't need such harsh lessons in order to learn. Not that harsh actually either since the kid was only deprived of the bike for a short while. Some parents would have thrown the bike on a rubbish heap - has been done with things like game consoles, for example, after repeated warnings of over-use. And what excuse could the kid give? Oh, sorry dad, I'm just a lazy little git! :oops:

I don't think ill of either since the boy may need it for an important reason we don't know. But I do find it appropriate since it didn't harm the kid and it wasn't like he's was verbally abused or had an illegal ultimatum. Frustrating, sure, bit not criminal.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While I agree with the punishment (I've done similar things in the past), I think it would have been prudent of him to run it by his wife first.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

It was one day.

I clicked the link. I like cookies.

I wonder if the Brits call these biscuits.

I tend to side with the dad, since some kids just never learn unless it really affects them so as for the lessons to sink in.

Simply telling kids is often ineffective as they lack the experience to understand. Growing up is about gaining this experience.

He gets to experience the feeling of loss, without having to suffer the consequences of loss.

A life lesson learned with minimal downside.

Friend of Mara

Basically, the son (aged 9) has been told not to leave his bike outside after playing with it, and to put it in the garage, so that it would be less likely to be stolen. The father, on seeing the bike left out overnight (yet again probably), put it in the boot of his car and expressed surprise when the son anguished over apparently losing it. Later, all was revealed. So, was the father right or wrong to do this, in order to teach his son a lesson?

So long as the kid got the bike bake. If the dad took it and the kid lost it forever it would be a little messed up. It seems kind of logical to me. Maybe I'm in the wrong but ultimately no harm was done except the kid got to experience the consequences of his actions in a controlled environment with no real loss.

syo

If only there was anarcho-communism everywhere... :oops:

Now we deal with properties and stolens. o_O