• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Is God All-Good?

Well?

• God must be all-good to exist, but there's evil so he doesn't.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • God is all-good, things work out for a reason (sometimes much later)

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • God is evil. Therefore he exists.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • God is evil, and somehow also doesn't exist (Explain that one).

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • God is not evil but not all-good. He definitely exists, but I'm mad at him now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God is a trickster like Coyote or Loki.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Supposedly, God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent (all-good).

Since we're focusing on the last one, there's supposedly the problem of evil for the last one.

My church is splitting due to the whole gay thing. My cat is probably dying (no eye in one eye, blurry eyed in another, can't eat much and stumbling around). And despite spending money advertising and despite being pretty okay in terms of skill with self-employed gig, I can't seem to break through (most calls I do get about computers are either solicitations to phish for my info, calls that are for problems completely out of my depth like making actual glass for the computer, or people who call when I'm visiting family for Christmas).

I'm not gonna discuss how much of this I could probably fix, but rather use it as an object lesson for the study of whether God is all-good or not.

To me, I'm pretty certain God exists (not only from the personal changes in my life, but also because of philosophical reasons), but right now I'm only not sure how good he is. In fact I'm pretty mad at God.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
God in science is evil by definition, a male decided to attack/force the physical mass of God to alter from owned cold fused radiated history....and so God attacked us.

God is not good.

The male human self who claims God is good, said that historically self was qualified to claim self good....yet is the researched of the God is destruction theme.

Did that condition remove his natural placement in natural history to be qualified to be named as being Good? Yes it did. For he was natural first and spiritual....once.

Since the history is natural law. God in natural law is just natural O fusion.

God the male human self is only good if he chooses to be good.

Science was never good. So the science male quotes God conjured Satan...for God he says is the conjurer/creator of Satan.

That statement owns 2 histories. God O in the Universe....which makes Satan in the Universe anti to God, meaning destroyed of God...so is a black hole. So the God of Satan makes holes......not good.

The human being male who studied that concept, also not good, for he conjured the artificial spirit he named as Satan....so knows that the God of Satan, being science conversion is not good.

If he says that it is the last one.....then he must idealize that changing God in this last chosen science concept is his last choice and last reality and wants to give us an END. What he might be quoting in his own realization about claiming is God at the end good.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
right now I'm only not sure how good he is. In fact I'm pretty mad at God.

To take your second sentence first: There is a tradition about Saint Teresa of Avila that goes like this: According to tradition, Teresa fell off her donkey while journeying to visit one of her convents--causing her to land in the mud and dirty her Carmelite habit. With her quick, fiery Spanish temper, Teresa looked up to heaven and said to God, “If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you don’t have many.”

The first sentence is a question/challenge that comes up. There are different answers, quite a few unsatisfying to me, that are given.

One frame of reference that does work for me is to consider that we will not see the whole picture. We of course judge good by our standards. I believe unasked for suffering is redemptive - that one day we will know how transitory pain played a necessary role in our lasting joy.

epronovost

I personnaly don't worship any deity. The only being I would call a god would have to be omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent in addition to be interested in humans and living creatures in general. Since there is such a thing as "evil", there is no such being. It's a basic demonstration of evidence of abscence. I don't believe in or worship fantasy characters.

Of course that's my personnal definition of god and it's only one amongst many. I suppose it's possible for some people's deities to exist though they would not be one of the above and i would not adopt them as my own deity. Some might have dubious morality like many god-kings in history or a variety of deities like Zeus or Yaweh. Some people's deity are actually amoral because they don't really exist or aren't conscious, but are more some sort of philosophical concept like perfection, love, wisdom or nature.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Supposedly, God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent (all-good).

Since we're focusing on the last one, there's supposedly the problem of evil for the last one.

My church is splitting due to the whole gay thing. My cat is probably dying (no eye in one eye, blurry eyed in another, can't eat much and stumbling around). And despite spending money advertising and despite being pretty okay in terms of skill with self-employed gig, I can't seem to break through (most calls I do get about computers are either solicitations to phish for my info, calls that are for problems completely out of my depth like making actual glass for the computer, or people who call when I'm visiting family for Christmas).

I'm not gonna discuss how much of this I could probably fix, but rather use it as an object lesson for the study of whether God is all-good or not.

To me, I'm pretty certain God exists (not only from the personal changes in my life, but also because of philosophical reasons), but right now I'm only not sure how good he is. In fact I'm pretty mad at God.

I'm not a believer; but, like any other person, it's normal to be mad at people who feels they aren't being helped in some way. I'm not sure what god is to determine if he was good or bad. If going off scripture, he doesn't have a good resume or profile but if you have good experiences with him, maybe look to that. If your experiences with god were positive, are there ways to relieve those experiences? Use them as affirmations when things are getting tough.

Darkforbid

If God was all good. He wouldn't have let us survive long enough to become a planet killing plague

(using the human understanding of good, obviously)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

define "all good"

Are you talking about "all good" as in chaotic good, or perhaps lawful good, or maybe Neutral Good?
I provided a link in order to establish a common ground as what is meant by "all good".

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Where's the 'God doesn't exist' option?
As a hole theory......or as just space.

For every human first is a naturally owned bio life living standing on a O stone planet that science said was God...to bring the human mind to the only place where Nature lives.....in the presence of the physical mass of stone.

Why it was taught by that concept.

If a male says when God does not exist, my first thought is empty space, a hole.

Living on Earth God not existing is named a SIN hole...removed by a science radiation constant K symbol....sink hole.

In the Universe the non presence of God is a black hole.

Therefore conscious relative teaching said if you think it, you meant it.

A male places his mind into claiming empty space....no God then goes about trying to achieve it by inventing the cause.

Altfish

Veteran Member
As a hole theory......or as just space.

For every human first is a naturally owned bio life living standing on a O stone planet that science said was God...to bring the human mind to the only place where Nature lives.....in the presence of the physical mass of stone.

Why it was taught by that concept.

If a male says when God does not exist, my first thought is empty space, a hole.

Living on Earth God not existing is named a SIN hole...removed by a science radiation constant K symbol....sink hole.

In the Universe the non presence of God is a black hole.

Therefore conscious relative teaching said if you think it, you meant it.

A male places his mind into claiming empty space....no God then goes about trying to achieve it by inventing the cause.
No, I am happy without inventing a cause

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Join the crowd.... I am mad at God a lot. :mad:
Anyone who had my life would probably be mad all the time. :eek:

How All-Good is a God that allows so much suffering in the world, not just mine?
It is easy for those whose lives go smoothly most of the time to love God so there is no way they can ever understand the lives of the rest of us.
There are some things I am grateful for right now, but I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, it always does.

Galateasdream

It is easy for those whose lives go smoothly most of the time to love God so there is no way they can ever understand the lives of the rest of us.

Whilst I totally get this sentiment, and I absolutely do not want to undermine your felt experiences, I do wonder if it's actually true in practise for the majority of folk.

Most people in history have suffered in ways beyond the experience of most modern folk in the developed world, yet they were very religious.

Likewise, the most religious areas of the world seem to be the poorest or subject to the most suffering.

I don't know ... I've met many who have been very angry at God, or stopped believing, through suffering, but also many who have turned more to God or loved Him more through their suffering.

But all that aside, I really hope the other shoe never drops for you, and you stay happy forever :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Whilst I totally get this sentiment, and I absolutely do not want to undermine your felt experiences, I do wonder if it's actually true in practise for the majority of folk.

Most people in history have suffered in ways beyond the experience of most modern folk in the developed world, yet they were very religious.

Likewise, the most religious areas of the world seem to be the poorest or subject to the most suffering.

I don't know ... I've met many who have been very angry at God, or stopped believing, through suffering, but also many who have turned more to God or loved Him more through their suffering.

But all that aside, I really hope the other shoe never drops for you, and you stay happy forever :)
Thanks. If I have not stopped believing yet I probably won't, because barring some serious physical illness, I have probably seen the worst of it, knock on wood.

But I do question why some people have to suffer so much more than others.
I do not think suffering has anything to do with being rich or poor, it is a psychological state and mostly related to genetics, childhood background and present life circumstances, which are not under our control.

Recently I read a scientific article and it said that happiness is only 40% under our control, not that I care about happiness, I am happy just not being depressed.

We have 3 houses and 10 cats so shoes will drop, it is just a matter of time. :(
I am just grateful for every day they stay on my feet. :D

Workman

UNIQUE
No, I am happy without inventing a cause

I was to wonder, How does it get to this point?

And, Off-course! Your happy with it!

But! You do not seem to not understand that...How can you invent a cause?
If you do not even know that you are [IN] one?

And might your not agree with me..

Please DO! Let us hear your BE-CAUSE!

And I still might wonder.......

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Another of your leading polls i could not answer.

The bible tells you god is so evil he actually invented it.

As to somehow doesn't exist? The bible is not a history book. Without evidence i cannot consider somehow to be even relevant.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I was to wonder, How does it get to this point?

And, Off-course! Your happy with it!

But! You do not seem to not understand that...How can you invent a cause?
If you do not even know that you are [IN] one?

And might your not agree with me..

Please DO! Let us hear your BE-CAUSE!

And I still might wonder.......
If you say that a God was the creator. I always go to the question, "Where did God come from?" To which the usual answer is something like, "He was always there"
Well I stop one step backwards, I cut God out of the equation and assume the universe (or singularity) was always there.
I'm very happy with that, I put my trust in science to eventually explain it; probably not in my lifetime though.