• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Inside Looking Out vs Outside Looking In Regarding Religion

When it comes to religion, are you on the inside looking out or the outside looking in?

• Total voters

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
This thread was inspired by this post I wrote last night.

“From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

This is a famous quote I'm sure some of you have heard before. I'm curious as to if most people here view themselves on the inside of a religion or outside of it. When I decided to follow my local UU chapter in Milwaukee I often felt like I was an outsider looking in, because I wasn't involved, and didn't want to involve myself, with most of the activities the church had, like fighting for social and economic justice. I did become a member of that religion, but in many ways I felt like I was part of the outside looking in. A similar thing was happening with the Baha'is, but instead of rejecting the social justice that Baha'is strive for, that I actually believe in, like unity of religion, I rejected their theology instead.

I did some basic research looking into transhumanist religions and discovered a group called Terasem from that. I followed the roots of Terasem until I found what perpetuated it - a series of books called Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents from a science fiction writer named Octavia E Butler, with a fictional religion called Earthseed. I did like Terasem but I often felt outside of that religion too. There are things you are supposed to do in that religion, like meditation, listen to the official radio station, and be apart of the community of likewise religious transhumanists, but it was lacking formal structure since one of the key people of that religion died and it was essentially put on life support. I attended the Second Life community but there was nobody at the digital property.

When I discovered Earthseed I realized that I was one of a few people that believed in the essentially the same things as them, but there wasn't the weight and baggage that came with Terasem. Nobody was telling me to meditate or to pray or worship. I felt like for the first time that I was looking from religion from the inside looking out because I understood the concepts and had a knack of explaining them so well to people. So, up until recently, I saw myself as an outsider of religious belief, someone who couldn't follow a path, someone who was just stuck thinking about his own beliefs and what it meant to him. That's in fact where Exaltism comes into play, but even with Exaltism I was starting to become an outsider to that too, because a lot of the material I published from that faith I no longer held on to or believed anymore.

The thing is, Octavia E Butler is dead. Lauran Olamina is not going to have anymore adventures in the Parable book series, and ironically the concept of Earthseed hasn't changed that drastically since the second book, Parable of the Talents, was published in 1998. But I understand the concepts in full and have adapted a syntheist view of theology since then. It seems like every time I make a post regarding religion I bring up some principle of Earthseed, some concept of how God is change and we are meant to shape that change. For the first time in my life I felt like I wasn't on the outside looking in but rather on the inside looking out. Even more so, I have decided to rename myself Earthseed Ethan where appropriate, and when August 23rd rolls around and it will be one year with Exaltist Ethan and I plan on changing my RF user handle to Earthseed Ethan. I have also redirected my website, exaltism.org to godischange.org as I have realized that I was getting unwanted attention from my website, and honestly, it's easier to explain myself from the Earthseed point of view than it is from the doctrine of Exaltism that I held so closely.

So I am now on the inside looking out, deeply involved and influenced by what most people think is a fictional religion. Earthseed is very real and there's plenty of people who believe its tenets, even if the framework of the religion was written in a fictional, dystopian science fiction novel, it still means a lot to many people. While I understand theology quite well I'm not formally educated on these matters, I pick up the pieces that mean the most to me and I transform those concepts in new ways and apply them in my every day life. I am intuitively Earthseed, it is my de facto religion, more so than any other religion I involved myself in, including but not limited to, Unitarian Universalism, the Baha'i Faith, Exaltism, among others. I am not told what to do, and virtually nobody is expecting me to do something or hold my hand spiritually in the meantime. Butler's words have influenced a generation of believers, and a Mars landing was even named after her.

I find that it is easier to explain myself using concepts introduced in Earthseed than it is using my Exaltist terminology. Simple and to the point the three tenets are - God is Change, Shape God and It is Earthseed's Destiny to Take Root Among the Stars. The way that I translate this is that God is what nature is becoming and that humans are meant to enact the role of God by spreading as much life throughout existence as possible. I use different ways and words to describe it, but it essentially means the same things. Different words for the same concepts. I also value concepts like The Omniverse, Entropy and Extropy dearly to me.

But that's me. I am now a firm believer of Earthseed, someone who is deeply involved in that religion, looking from the inside out, trying my hardest to explain something that means so much to me towards people who are unaware of the religion.

TL;DR - So now I bring it back to you. When it comes to religious and spiritual traditions, are you on the inside looking out or on the outside looking in? Or maybe you are somewhere inbetween both extremes? Let us know how you view religion and which side you are in below. :)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Both. But more outside the in.

It's much easier to see the forest for the trees when one is not surrounded by trees.

Yazata

I voted 'Outside Looking In'.

That's certainly true for all the organized religious denominiations where membership makes sense. I'm not a member of any of them and never have been. I've attended services like Catholic mass, but always felt like an outsider looking in on other people's faith and practice. I was very aware that I didn't share it.

But that being said, I have a reasonbly well developed sense of religiosity, I think. Often in the never-ending arguments with atheists, I feel like siding with the religious folks. I'm an outsider-looking-in when it comes to scientism and metaphysical naturalism as well.

The thing is that I sense the existence of deep cosmic mystery at every moment. But I don't have any of the answers. I don't think that anyone really does.

Hence my agnosticism.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Outside looking in on Judaism, Islam, Christianity though I've had Christianity around me all my life. I consider these religions to be a source of human tragedy, and blindness.

Outside looking in on Ba'hai. At least they don't condemn nonbelievers.

I'm one to see the abstract realities as spiritual and I'm independently religious. So I am somewhat on the inside of looking out there.

I don't fit into Any religious category but my own.

There are things I understand very well about Catholicism, and fundamental christianity. I don't agree with any of it.

Eastern religions are interesting. So I'm on the outside trying to look in there.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
My faith is all about self betterment and understanding myself. Would that be outside looking in?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I don't fit into Any religious category but my own.
Unless you are a very inclusive Omnist you will never be on the inside of all religions.
My faith is all about self betterment and understanding myself. Would that be outside looking in?
What the question really is asking, is, are you part of the inside of any religion. I’m not asking if you are part of all religions, but rather, do you belong on the inside of at least one religion. That’s what it means to be on the inside looking out. Nobody is always on the inside, and unless you never join a religion, you are never always on the outside as well.

Maybe I needed to be more clear as to what I’m referring to when I use these terms.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Unless you are a very inclusive Omnist you will never be on the inside of all religions.

What the question really is asking, is, are you part of the inside of any religion. I’m not asking if you are part of all religions, but rather, do you belong on the inside of at least one religion. That’s what it means to be on the inside looking out. Nobody is always on the inside, and unless you never join a religion, you are never always on the outside as well.

Maybe I needed to be more clear as to what I’m referring to when I use these terms.
I see now. Thanks for the clarification. I would say I'm outside looking in. I admire some religions but not enough to study them to their core, only the aspects I find interesting and useful.

idea

Question Everything
I used to be inside - after child abuse inside (that was supported by others inside) I am now outside. It was such a bad experience of group-think / tribalism, that I will never be inside any group again.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Inside looking out. But, that's not really simple...

I have no religious community, and, as a social person that is something I struggle with. However, for me, religion/spirituality takes place mostly within. I can do external actions, but if there's no inner feelings connected to it, its empty. My mantras, my worship, my stories, all are held within my heart most importantly. I use these inner pieces to flavor my outside world.

So, for me, it starts within, grows to the outside.

We Never Know

No Slack
This thread was inspired by this post I wrote last night.

“From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

This is a famous quote I'm sure some of you have heard before. I'm curious as to if most people here view themselves on the inside of a religion or outside of it. When I decided to follow my local UU chapter in Milwaukee I often felt like I was an outsider looking in, because I wasn't involved, and didn't want to involve myself, with most of the activities the church had, like fighting for social and economic justice. I did become a member of that religion, but in many ways I felt like I was part of the outside looking in. A similar thing was happening with the Baha'is, but instead of rejecting the social justice that Baha'is strive for, that I actually believe in, like unity of religion, I rejected their theology instead.

I did some basic research looking into transhumanist religions and discovered a group called Terasem from that. I followed the roots of Terasem until I found what perpetuated it - a series of books called Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents from a science fiction writer named Octavia E Butler, with a fictional religion called Earthseed. I did like Terasem but I often felt outside of that religion too. There are things you are supposed to do in that religion, like meditation, listen to the official radio station, and be apart of the community of likewise religious transhumanists, but it was lacking formal structure since one of the key people of that religion died and it was essentially put on life support. I attended the Second Life community but there was nobody at the digital property.

When I discovered Earthseed I realized that I was one of a few people that believed in the essentially the same things as them, but there wasn't the weight and baggage that came with Terasem. Nobody was telling me to meditate or to pray or worship. I felt like for the first time that I was looking from religion from the inside looking out because I understood the concepts and had a knack of explaining them so well to people. So, up until recently, I saw myself as an outsider of religious belief, someone who couldn't follow a path, someone who was just stuck thinking about his own beliefs and what it meant to him. That's in fact where Exaltism comes into play, but even with Exaltism I was starting to become an outsider to that too, because a lot of the material I published from that faith I no longer held on to or believed anymore.

The thing is, Octavia E Butler is dead. Lauran Olamina is not going to have anymore adventures in the Parable book series, and ironically the concept of Earthseed hasn't changed that drastically since the second book, Parable of the Talents, was published in 1998. But I understand the concepts in full and have adapted a syntheist view of theology since then. It seems like every time I make a post regarding religion I bring up some principle of Earthseed, some concept of how God is change and we are meant to shape that change. For the first time in my life I felt like I wasn't on the outside looking in but rather on the inside looking out. Even more so, I have decided to rename myself Earthseed Ethan where appropriate, and when August 23rd rolls around and it will be one year with Exaltist Ethan and I plan on changing my RF user handle to Earthseed Ethan. I have also redirected my website, exaltism.org to godischange.org as I have realized that I was getting unwanted attention from my website, and honestly, it's easier to explain myself from the Earthseed point of view than it is from the doctrine of Exaltism that I held so closely.

So I am now on the inside looking out, deeply involved and influenced by what most people think is a fictional religion. Earthseed is very real and there's plenty of people who believe its tenets, even if the framework of the religion was written in a fictional, dystopian science fiction novel, it still means a lot to many people. While I understand theology quite well I'm not formally educated on these matters, I pick up the pieces that mean the most to me and I transform those concepts in new ways and apply them in my every day life. I am intuitively Earthseed, it is my de facto religion, more so than any other religion I involved myself in, including but not limited to, Unitarian Universalism, the Baha'i Faith, Exaltism, among others. I am not told what to do, and virtually nobody is expecting me to do something or hold my hand spiritually in the meantime. Butler's words have influenced a generation of believers, and a Mars landing was even named after her.

I find that it is easier to explain myself using concepts introduced in Earthseed than it is using my Exaltist terminology. Simple and to the point the three tenets are - God is Change, Shape God and It is Earthseed's Destiny to Take Root Among the Stars. The way that I translate this is that God is what nature is becoming and that humans are meant to enact the role of God by spreading as much life throughout existence as possible. I use different ways and words to describe it, but it essentially means the same things. Different words for the same concepts. I also value concepts like The Omniverse, Entropy and Extropy dearly to me.

But that's me. I am now a firm believer of Earthseed, someone who is deeply involved in that religion, looking from the inside out, trying my hardest to explain something that means so much to me towards people who are unaware of the religion.

TL;DR - So now I bring it back to you. When it comes to religious and spiritual traditions, are you on the inside looking out or on the outside looking in? Or maybe you are somewhere inbetween both extremes? Let us know how you view religion and which side you are in below. :)

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

I have heard that saying many times throughout life. Its pretty true IMO

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Outside looking in - and more likely to be looking over the shoulders of any Buddhists than sneaking a peek at what any others are believing. :oops:

PureX

Veteran Member
Both.

I am a philosophical Christian as opposed to a religious one. I can see both value and error in it from both perspectives.