• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: How concerned are you about ads, marketing, propaganda?

How concerned are you about advertisements, marketing, and propaganda?

• 1 - Not concerned, I consume this material all the time

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 2 - Slightly concerned, but I rarely limit my exposure

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 3 - Somewhat concerned, there are topics I won't expose myself to

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 4 - Very concerned, I avoid these things most of the time

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 5 - Extremely concerned, I'm always working to avoid these materials.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Every day, modern society exposes us to advertisements, marketing material, and various forms of propaganda. Do you notice when you're being exposed? Do you care?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I have learnt to ignore it all

I don't really notice them but I am aware they are trying to influence me, and I do my best to resist this

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Being as I don't have ads on RF, I see very few. There's another site that I use on a regular basis, but there's no ads there, either.

There are ads in my newspaper, but I don't look at them at all. I can't say they catch my eye.

Other than that, I don't find myself exposed to them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Every day, modern society exposes us to advertisements, marketing material, and various forms of propaganda. Do you notice when you're being exposed? Do you care?
I care.

I think ads are completely out of control and can be regarded as a massive source of digital and material pollution.

If that wasn't bad enough in itself , there's the matter of advertising programming that is no less than viral malwhare that sells out peoples private data without permission or compensation, follows people without permission or compensation, and takes liberties over people's personal credit making it difficult if not impossible to put a stop to the intrusion once it's activated through spurious means.

You also don't need pop ups that are shoved in front of your face either blocking and/or preventing what your viewing.

Twilight Hue

I have learnt to ignore it all

I don't really notice them but I am aware they are trying to influence me, and I do my best to resist this
It's why I fight back by using ad blockers that are pretty good on some media platforms.

Especially YT. Here on RF I use Chrome. Bye bye irritating ads, I didn't pay a thing for it too.

Gargovic Malkav

I do notice there was a time on Youtube where I had little to nothing to deal with regarding ads.

Now the excess of it has gotten so bad and I've gotten so used to it that I get annoyed when the commercials get interrupted by those stupid Youtube videos...

PureX

Veteran Member
I hate the crap! And I avoid it whenever I can. But I'm not especially "concerned" by it simply because it's already done it's damage. People have become absurdly irrational, entitled, selfish, amoral, and materialistic thanks to 100 years of industrial strength commercial advertising (economic propaganda). We are lied to so blatantly and frequently every waking moment of the day that we accept such gross dishonesty the way we accept the weather. We hardly even notice it. We vote for politicians that we know are lying, cheating, and stealing just to win so they can lie and cheat and steal some more when they do win. And we think it's all just normal human behavior. Nothing to be done about it. As long as we get our share it's all good.

Twilight Hue

I do notice there was a time on Youtube where I had little to nothing to deal with regarding ads.

Now the excess of it has gotten so bad and I've gotten so used to it that I get annoyed when the commercials get interrupted by those stupid Youtube videos...
I don't mind the 5 second skip ads.

It's the unskippable and double ads they are pushing. Hell, even content creaters are shilling themselves on top of it all even and annoying the hell out of people by their continual like and subscribe begging, along with the ridiculously retarded reaction faces, big circles and arrows on the clickbait thumbnails.

YT used to be just a great place until all this dumb advertising scheme arrived destroying a once great platform with genuine and creative content.

I'd say it's more important to minimise consumption of daily news media, including "reputable" news outlets, than ads and other sources we naturally distrust.

Sources that we view as relatively trustworthy yet contain numerous errors and biases are far more harmful.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ads? Annoying but not concerning
Marketing? I ignore it as much as possible.
Propaganda? It's causing a lot of trouble and could lead to terrorist attacks after this year's election or in 2024.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say it's more important to minimise consumption of daily news media, including "reputable" news outlets, than ads and other sources we naturally distrust.

Which news outlets widely regarded as reputable do you actively avoid, and why? Would the Associated Press or Reuters fall within that category?

I don't often go out of my way to browse the news, but when I do, I find it best to check multiple outlets, including ones I consider untrustworthy. Still, while no outlet is perfectly accurate, I think it goes without saying that some are much more reliable than others.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Like @PureX find your categories don't fit me. I hate ads, because they are a distracting intrusion into whatever I am interested in. But I'm not terribly "concerned" about them.

I don't feel I am in danger of coming under their influence, (mwaah mwaah), I just find them annoying, and that's why I try to avoid them. When I watch YouTube I always turn the sound off when the ads pop up. That's partly because I use it for music and the last thing I want, in the middle of practicing the Dream of Gerontius or something, is some dick trying to sell me pizza or personal computers.:mad: Bathos or what?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Generally, I regard ads as an emergent property of the consumerist, industrial world we live in. Realistically, I use various products in my daily life that are made by large corporations (e.g., the phone from which I'm posting this message), so I would find it a bit too selective for myself to complain about ads while still wanting to enjoy the products I have.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I answered Somewhat concerned... But that doesn't explain much. We are exposed to ads all the time, most i just filter out, the odd one catches my attention, either i find it amusing or it's something i need. They are an annoying but necessary fact of life.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I see it all as a battle of wits, and even though the ad producers no doubt feel I have a moral duty to view their ads if they are offering something that essentially is free and my not paying anything, I'm afraid I haven't signed any contract as to such - just as I haven't whilst watching TV and ads appear - so I'll do what is necessary and expect them to do the same. And two fingers up at them all! :p

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I get ads all the time streaming music or TV apps, but I've learned to basically just ignore them.

I try not to buy into any advertising I see.

Truth in love

I think the type of information matters a lot. There is a lot of false info. On the other hand I’m not bothered by adds for cars or plumbers.

PureX

Veteran Member
The scary thing is that they have become one and the same in many instances. "News stories" that are actually paid advertisements, and paid ads that present lies as "news" are happening all the time. Oil spills don't get reported because the oil company is a major advertising income source for the news network doing the reporting. Greed poisons everything it touches when no one does anything for it's own sake or value, anymore, but instead does everything for monetary profit. We don't produce the news to inform people, anymore, we produce it for the monetary profit to be gained from it. And you can't shut that poisonous greed off. It infects everything and everyone. It forces us to participate in it just to survive it.