• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Have you faced issues at your workplace or in the hiring process because of the way you speak?

Have you experienced any difficulties getting hired or in your workplace because of your speech?

• I have never experienced any difficulties with this

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have experienced some difficulties because of my dialect or foreign accent

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have experienced some difficulties because of a speech impediment

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I have experienced some difficulties because of some other language-related reason

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I have experienced somedifficulties because of 2 or more of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have experienced many difficulties because of my dialect or foreign accent

• I have experienced many difficulties because of a speech impediment

• I have experienced many difficulties because of some other language-related reason

• I have experienced a many difficulties because of some other language-related reason

• I don't know

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

bubbleguppy

Serial Forum Observer
This is out of curiosity. I'm a linguistics major and I know there is a lot of language-based, accent-based, and speech impediment-based discrimination in the workplace across the globe. I'm interested in knowing if anyone would like to share any instances they have put up with or witnessed someone else put up with where this has happened.

suncowiam

Not me... My English is quite clear.

However, when I give interviews to potential new hires, if I can't understand them then I have to mark them down for that. Communication is key in business. It's not everything but it's part of the evaluation process.

Also, are you stuttering with your check boxes? Sorry, maybe that sounded mean spirited but I was only joking. :)

No hard feelings.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not sure how I should answer the poll here. I speak perfectly good English, but I tend to be *loud* when in the classroom. Other professors have complained (from down the hall) that I am too loud at 8 o'clock in the morning.

The response from my department is that i was at least keeping the students awake!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is out of curiosity. I'm a linguistics major and I know there is a lot of language-based, accent-based, and speech impediment-based discrimination in the workplace across the globe. I'm interested in knowing if anyone would like to share any instances they have put up with or witnessed someone else put up with where this has happened.
I have an issue with articulation. This has cost me some grief in the past because I have a tendency to lose train of thought mid-sentence, and at times mince my words whenever I try to clarify or explain things. You could say I have the same impediment that George Bush jr. has with public speaking where I "bushify" my sentences. You can also compare me with how Dee Dee Ramone talks during interviews.

While this can be hilarious at times, people don't always approach me as an intellectually capable person because of this, but those that do know me like my wife or my present employer they understand it's more of a speech problem rather than intellectual.

One of my co-workers from another employer was a stutterer, and he was pretty much treated the same way except by those who knew him as a perfectly normal and intelligent person who just has some verbal issues.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm still a student, so my answer is only about my university experience rather than the workplace.

I haven't experienced any discrimination due to my speech, and I have a noticeably nasal voice (not sure if that counts for the purposes of your question). I do get comments on occasion about being very articulate/skilled with language (whether spoken or written), however, so I'm not certain if this is a mitigating factor at all regarding my voice.

I hope this helps. :)

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Someone brought it to my attention that I have a very thick Canadian accent. I think that counts.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Someone brought it to my attention that I have a very thick Canadian accent. I think that counts.

Just for fun trying doing an interview talking like Porky Pig. You probably won't get the job, but what a great story you'll have.

Orbit

I'm a planet
My mom always had problems in California about her thick Southern accent. She was quite sensitive about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I speak standard midwest broadcast English.
It works everywhere.
Of course, one's personality could sink the ship.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No problem with how I say but what I say. Lost a job because I made a disparaging remark about why I didn't join the Air Force (inter-armed forces bantering, you know). Didn't know at the time that the interviewer was a retired Air Force Major. Guess who didn't get the job.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
No problem with how I say but what I say. Lost a job because I made a disparaging remark about why I didn't join the Air Force (inter-armed forces bantering, you know). Didn't know at the time that the interviewer was a retired Air Force Major. Guess who didn't get the job.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say............... you. :p

I used to work at an American-owned private school in Asia. My boss was from Boston.

Anyways, she said that my "Southern accent" made me hard for the students to understand me. The thing is I don't think I have that strong of an accent, and there were other teachers who had stronger accents than I did (in particular, French, Indian, and Boertje). The other thing is that she wasn't able to pick up on my supposed "thick southern accent" until she read my profile and saw that I went to a Southern university.