• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Give up your religion to save a stranger

Those who are strong in their religion, would you give up their religion to save a stranger?

• Yes (Why?)

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No (Why not?)

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Those who are strong in faith. Would you give up your religion (your life) to save a stranger?

If so, why?
If not, why not?

If this does not apply to you, dont take the poll. Its a yes/no on purpose. Those strong in their faith would know whether their faith is or is not important enough to keep it at the expense of a stranger's life.

:fallenleaf:

In my faith, the Buddha says that Boddhisattvas are to lead others to enlightenment before he or she leads oneself. (To lazy now to find perfect wording). So, in that sense, and in my morals regardless, I would abandon my faith (my life) in order to save a stranger.

That doesnt mean I am weak in faith. It means I think of others before myself.

I got this from watching Obama's last speech. The lady, I forgot her name, who refused to give service to a gay couple because it was against her christian morals, sat with the crowd in front of the pres. My co-worker and I watched together. She agreed that the woman should stand up for her faith (whatever it may be).

I thought, that is like me joining the military in the reserves KNOWING that I may be called to active duty, I may kill others which is against my morals. Would I kill? More than likely. Not for personal gain but to protect my country which are many strangers I do not know.

Should your faith be at your highest priority or your relationship with others?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

In my faith, the Buddha says that Boddhisattvas are to lead others to enlightenment before he or she leads oneself. (To lazy now to find perfect wording). So, in that sense, and in my morals regardless, I would abandon my faith (my life) in order to save a stranger.

I beg to differ. The Boddhisattva way could never be seen as an obstacle for saving a stranger. That would be a direct contradiction.

Very much so. But again, there is no conflict in that.

I got this from watching Obama's last speech. The lady, I forgot her name, who refused to give service to a gay couple because it was against her christian morals, sat with the crowd in front of the pres. My co-worker and I watched together. She agreed that the woman should stand up for her faith (whatever it may be).

That may or may not be acting accordingly to Christian Morals and standing up for her faith (I would rather not try to make the call on her stead) but either way it is simply morally wrong.

We really should not over-complicate it. Harming others purposefully without a very good justification is by definition a moral mistake.

I thought, that is like me joining the military in the reserves KNOWING that I may be called to active duty, I may kill others which is against my morals. Would I kill? More than likely. Not for personal gain but to protect my country which are many strangers I do not know.

I don't think that is a good example to compare and contrast. Military service is all but entirely unjustifiable.

Yes, it should. But the highest priority of my faith should itself be being true to itself, which is to say, to basic morality.

buddhist

How would I "give up" my faith?

I suppose that can be done by those who belong in religious faiths which demand belief and confession of faith to a specific deity, but as an early Buddhist, I don't do either. There is no such belief or faith to give up.

It would be like asking me if I would give up the law of gravity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, it should. But the highest priority of my faith should itself be being true to itself, which is to say, to basic morality.

Basically, what Im asking is does this priority (a persons faith) override the safety of another. Buddhism focuses on life first, so thats a quick answer.

Some faiths dont have that as their highest priority.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No.
Hell no.
People die, people die all the time and they will continue to die and you know what will happen to the person you save by giving up your faith? They'll still die, all you did was buy them some more time.

I wouldn't give up faith for myself or anyone else.

There are people who sacrifice their time and energy etc so their child will have one more breathe even though they both know the child will die. The mother or father is thinking about the child's life not giving him up to death just to save themselves from the pain of their child dying.

Likewise with religion. Why would I keep my faith knowing that if I give it up, I can help someone have one more breath?

I was in that ill person's place. Im glad my mother sacrifice her time and energy; she likewise. Religion should be no different, right?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How would I "give up" my faith?

I suppose that can be done by those who belong in religious faiths which demand belief and confession of faith to a specific deity, but as an early Buddhist, I don't do either. There is no such belief or faith to give up.

It would be like asking me if I would give up the law of gravity.
Buddhists are excluded since life is, well, the highest commandment. ;)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

I beg to differ. The Boddhisattva way could never be seen as an obstacle for saving a stranger. That would be a direct contradiction.

Very much so. But again, there is no conflict in that.

That may or may not be acting accordingly to Christian Morals and standing up for her faith (I would rather not try to make the call on her stead) but either way it is simply morally wrong.

We really should not over-complicate it. Harming others purposefully without a very good justification is by definition a moral mistake.

I don't think that is a good example to compare and contrast. Military service is all but entirely unjustifiable.

Its not a good question for Buddhists since life is the highest importance: thats part of the faith itself.

Thana

Lady
There are people who sacrifice their time and energy etc so their child will have one more breathe even though they both know the child will die. The mother or father is thinking about the child's life not giving him up to death just to save themselves from the pain of their child dying.

Likewise with religion. Why would I keep my faith knowing that if I give it up, I can help someone have one more breath?

I was in that ill person's place. Im glad my mother sacrifice her time and energy; she likewise. Religion should be no different, right?

Because they're selfish. Because they can't let go. Death is release, from this life to whatever comes next and religion is supposed to facilitate that.

Why would one trade the infinite for the finite?
To stall death? What good is that? How does that truly save anyone?

Corthos

Great Old One
Those who are strong in faith. Would you give up your religion (your life) to save a stranger?

If so, why?
If not, why not?

If this does not apply to you, dont take the poll. Its a yes/no on purpose. Those strong in their faith would know whether their faith is or is not important enough to keep it at the expense of a stranger's life.

Hmmm... I can't help but wonder how one leads someone else to enlightenment before they lead themselves, since enlightenment is a state of realization and understanding, or am I wrong in those regards?

As for your question, I really have to try hard to wrap my brain around this... The chief principals, as far as my understanding goes, is Good thoughts, good words, and good deeds... By those very principals, helping others is a good thing in itself, and would thusly realize the goal of my faith.

The antithetical principals would be bad thoughts, bad words, and bad deeds. Soooo.... doing something evil for the sake of a good outcome? There are some things I would EASILY do; like stealing food to help a child who is starving, but there are some things that would make me hesitate... Like killing one man to save another.

It depends on the severity of evil required vs. The good deeds realised, I suppose. That's where conscience + knowledge + higher reasoning comes in. =)

As for your altruistic views, I have to wonder... how far does that altruism extend? Helping others is a given if we want to see a better world, but putting others before yourself, while good and noble, can be taken too far. That's when it can have negative consequences.

For example: someone who exclusively puts others before themselves won't focus on themselves as much, which constricts the amount of influence they could have on the world, and would thusly create a smaller impact when helping others than their potential could be. Also, when children are taught to always put others before themselves, this can have negative side effects on their self esteem as they grow.

If one wants to positively impact the world, people need to not forget themselves, I feel. =) Healthy mentalities are more apt to produce healthy results, IMO.

Last edited:

Aiviu

just to save themselves from the pain of their child dying.?

To save another means to save one self? I must admit, i also would aske what "to save" means in your post. Anyway. I think, i got it now.

I just dont know what you mean with "would you give up your religion" - when in fact "to care" and "to save" another is the best possible religious act.
So, it would not mean that i abandon my faith - i would truely have the chance to act in my faith. Religion are its endless reminder ringing to your ear.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Because they're selfish.

But so are you.

Death is release, from this life to whatever comes next and religion is supposed to facilitate that.

So if you contracted, say, ebola, you wouldn't allow yourself to be cured of it?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My religion does not get in the way of saving anyone. Nor could it. Nor would it harm anyone else.
There would be something wrong with the precepts or the personal understanding of any religion that would.

Sins of omission (not saving someone ) are equal to the sin of harming someone.

Thanda

If so, why?
If not, why not?

I must agree with Thana on this. Firstly I must ask what you mean by save (save from hunger, death, or eternal damnation?)

Secondly, I would never give up my faith for anything. Giving up a great good in exchange for a small good is unwise in all aspects.

It is like supporting a family. Would I give up my studies so I could earn an extra couple of thousand bucks a month? No. Why? Because in so doing I will retard my ability to exponentially increase my pay in the future and when my family grows, I will not be able to keep up and we will live in poverty.

Sacrifice is called giving up something good for something better.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I think a third option of "lie about giving up my religion" could serve a purpose?

I personally would lie about it to save a stranger. It is allowed in Islam to verbally denounce belief while keeping it at heart. Of course other legit options always come first, but out of weakness and fear (or any pressing reason seen) it is allowed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm going to try to clarify some things. A lot of posts I disagree with; here is why.

Because they're selfish. Because they can't let go. Death is release, from this life to whatever comes next and religion is supposed to facilitate that.

I don't know if you have children, if you do, well. If I were a mother I needed to sacrifice myself to save my child's life I would do so in a heart beat. I saw a little girl playing with a ball cross the street and I ran for her not thinking of myself. I completely shed myself of any ego and self-care for the life of someone else no matter the age or who they are.

As such, religion is someone's life. If I were a Christian and to save another person was to stop practicing my faith and forget god, I would do exactly that. I would be thinking of someone else not myself regardless of how long this person has to leave. Death is not a release. Life life to it's fullest not lve life for death. We should be comfortable with death, yes; and, not the expense of saving ourselves (our religion, our family, etc) instead of saving someone else's life.

I'm also not sure there is such a thing as giving up one's faith.

Bad wording. If I were Christian and someone said "turn away from Jesus or your child get's it", I would in a heart beat. It's not about me, it's the child; no matter what punishment I receive as a result of thinking of another person's life.

The monk in the link did something for a cause rather than saving a life. I wouldn't give my life for a cause even if it's protesting like Catholic's do about abortion. If I had the choice to save someone at the expense of myself, I would. Unfortunately, my cultture makes us think of ourselves before another.

As for your question, I really have to try hard to wrap my brain around this... The chief principals, as far as my understanding goes, is Good thoughts, good words, and good deeds... By those very principals, helping others is a good thing in itself, and would thusly realize the goal of my faith.

True. It's a hypothetical question, though. Would you give up your life (which means your faith, your family, etc) for another person to live? If it's your child? If it's a termianally ill person? Extend that more, what about a healthy stranger?

Would you turn from your faith (pretending that you could given many others do on their own) to save another person's life--even for a minute?

The antithetical principals would be bad thoughts, bad words, and bad deeds. Soooo.... doing something evil for the sake of a good outcome?

Something evil? You're doing a good thing for saving another person's life in place of your own (your religion, your family, yourself)

As for your altruistic views, I have to wonder... how far does that altruism extend? Helping others is a given if we want to see a better world, but putting others before yourself, while good and noble, can be taken too far. That's when it can have negative consequences.

For example: someone who exclusively puts others before themselves won't focus on themselves as much, which constricts the amount of influence they could have on the world, and would thusly create a smaller impact when helping others than their potential could be. Also, when children are taught to always put others before themselves, this can have negative side effects on their self esteem as they grow.

Think of a mother and child. Would a mother let her child die because she rather save herself instead or would she replace her life for a child to live? Dying for someone else to live isn't something big. If your morals can let you go as far as take your own life for another, then I'd say that's the highest sacrifice. If we can't do that, what is our limit before we think of ourselves before we think of others?

To save another means to save one self? I must admit, i also would aske what "to save" means in your post. Anyway. I think, i got it now.

Yep. The Boddhisattva (for example_ helps others to enlightenment first before he gets enlightenmnent. The Buddha would never think of himself before another. Save is not a good word. As long as you get it.

I just dont know what you mean with "would you give up your religion" - when in fact "to care" and "to save" another is the best possible religious act.
So, it would not mean that i abandon my faith - i would truely have the chance to act in my faith. Religion are its endless reminder ringing to your ear.

I dont know about yours, but in my faith it is right to give myself for the sake of saving another person. Not all faiths think that way. Some have tenants that the faith/religion comes before any person. Which is very odd for me, when it comes to religion. Where is the limit of one "giving to help another in need" without puting ourselves in danger by doing so? Why is life so much important to us at the expense of letting someone else die?

If the price were my faith, then no.
And we're all selfish, but denying someone their death is moreso, aswell as cruel

Of course, I disagree. That's the highest sacrifice to die for another. Many religious prophets have done so to the best they can. I feel it's selfish to think otherwise. I see no value in saving myself at the exepsense of another. Our culture (America) has a pride thing; and, it does make people think of themselves first. It's not a bad thing to be self-centered, but to be selfish? I saw a child ran accross the road twice and I did not think twice about my life but that child's. Should I have let that child die?

I don't undestand how death can be a release if the dying can life a full life if the other choose to take their life IF the situation called for it.

I must agree with Thana on this. Firstly I must ask what you mean by save (save from hunger, death, or eternal damnation?)

No. Wrong wording. Save your reliigon (keep your religion) rather than give it up (turn from god, whatever) to save another from death. See above.

Secondly, I would never give up my faith for anything. Giving up a great good in exchange for a small good is unwise in all aspects.

Small good? Saving a life? I dont understand that.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think a third option of "lie about giving up my religion" could serve a purpose?

I personally would lie about it to save a stranger. It is allowed in Islam to verbally denounce belief while keeping it at heart. Of course other legit options always come first, but out of weakness and fear (or any pressing reason seen) it is allowed.

I wouldn't lie about it. Fully denounce your faith. You can get it back when the threat is over. If it's still a threat, would you denounce it? Charity, though, doesn't have ties (I'm covered). It's the highest form of giving.