• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll for the religious

If the God of a different religion appeared to you and told you to change religions, would you?

• Yes, of course I would

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • No, because that would likely be the result of a hallucination

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No, because it is likely Satan masquerading himself to lure me away from my current religion

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Maybe, but it depends on how vivid the experience is and how convincing the "god" is

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

Jumi

That's basically what happened to me when I switched from atheist to monotheist, though there were no words or commands to join religion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately I can't vote in the poll because of how it was written, but my answer is "No, because I am a polytheist; we can freely add new gods to our practices without changing our religion."

If I may add, when you write a poll it is very helpful to not assume someone's reasoning in the response. I think a "Yes, because..." and "No, because..." would have worked better. :sweat:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Within my NDE, Lao Tzu, Buddha, Yeshua, etc all were in Heaven (Oneness)... So meeting another like mind would be fascinating.
[GALLERY=media, 7679][/GALLERY]
In my opinion. :innocent:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If a God did show up proving beyond a reasonable doubt he was God, I imagine I would accept the reality of that.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Within my NDE, Lao Tzu, Buddha, Yeshua, etc all were in Heaven (Oneness)... So meeting another like mind would be fascinating.
[GALLERY=media, 7679][/GALLERY]
In my opinion. :innocent:
That expresses how I feel better than I would have done.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Checking w/ Krishna...

Brb...

OK, Krishna says "Whatever celestial form a devotee seeks to worship with faith, I steady the faith of such a devotee in that form."

:D

Holdasown

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
As a polytheist this can be a bit fickle of a question. I say many gods are real but unless one god without a shadow of a doubt provided a way to prove the weakness of other gods or their lack of truth I would undoubtedly worship that god.

If this god proved itself far more worthy or far more powerful than any other gods then sure some sort of henotheism would arise out of me but that is all.

In short though I would never doubt what is placed before me, I also am not very fond of drugs because of how they affect the mind. So I am pretty sure I would never be hallucinating anytime soon.

InChrist

Free4ever
No, I wouldn't change my beliefs if a god appeared to me since my perspective is that there is only One true God, Creator of heaven and earth.

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6

Look to Me, and be saved, All you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other. Isaiah 45:22

Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are
all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. 1 Corinthians 8:4-6

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What would consist of “beyond a reasonable doubt”, to you?

A consistent ability to perform godlike powers in any conceivable circumstance.

I'd assume something like consistently knowing my thoughts. At any time make anything exist or not exist. Like create a species of humanoid completely alien to anything on earth.

Since this is not specific to a religion it would depend on whatever powers claimed by that religion their God has. In which case the God of some religions I might still not follow if their powers were not particularly impressive.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
A consistent ability to perform godlike powers in any conceivable circumstance.

I'd assume something like consistently knowing my thoughts. At any time make anything exist or not exist. Like create a species of humanoid completely alien to anything on earth.

Since this is not specific to a religion it would depend on whatever powers claimed by that religion their God has. In which case the God of some religions I might still not follow if their powers were not particularly impressive.
That’s a pretty good answer!
I’ve got some thoughts on that, tied to Exodus 7. (Some things just wouldn’t convince me.) I’ve gotta go now, though, I’ll continue later
But, imho, you’ve given a real good answer!

Thanks.