• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Do you consider ideologies to be prisons of the mind?

What do you think?

• Total voters

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes, alright, but apart from attempts to suppress science when it conflicts with religious views or corporate interests, attempts to make participation in prayer, pledges, anthems, etcetera compulsory, attempts to criminalise blasphemy and the burning of flags, attempts to censor displays of sex and nudity, attempts to ban depictions and portrayals of LGBT people in the media, and attacks on the press for exposing their misdeeds and failures, what have the right ever done to discourage independent thought and freedom of expression?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP was a little too restricted for my taste. If it had said something like:

"Do you consider ideologies to be mechanisms that allow people to think less", I would have said yes.

Could you expand on this? Does thinking within a particular paradigm necessarily mean "thinking less?"

I ask that question because nobody thinks outside of a box - we all think in boxes. Doesn't mean we think less, it means the way we think is shaped by some particular box. Is there some particular thinking box that really means thinking less? How would we fairly go about quantifying this? Does such a measure really matter, and what would be the point of such measurements? Is it really quantity that matters? I'm doubtful.

Notanumber

A Free Man
This important discussion is unusual in that we seldom get to probe the beliefs and thought processes of leftwing academics.

It is good to talk and listen.

Bird123

I asked this question in the Poll: Taking the knee thread. Has groupthink killed off individual thought?

This conversation provides some answers.

Any time one chooses to limit themselves from all the possibilities, one is choosing to live in a box.

God gave everyone a different view to guaranty mankind a larger view than any one person could have. How can one see or Discover the very best ways without seeing the entire picture?

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Notanumber

A Free Man
You personally, not sure

But right wingers want to ...
  • Stop demonstrations (that they disagree with)
  • Ban taking a knee
  • Ban flag burning
  • Ban campaigns to remove statues

Most right-wingers want to stop public disorder and looting.

Most right-wingers want to stop people from being forced to take the knee.

Do you have any evidence that all right-wingers want to ban flag burning?

Most right-wingers prefer democratic campaigns to remove statues rather than having mob rule destroy them in a frenzy.

What is wrong with that?

Notanumber

A Free Man
Serious question? Okay.
  1. Attempts to suppress science when it conflicts with religious views or corporate interests.
  2. Attempts to make participation in prayer, pledges, anthems, etc. compulsory.
  3. Attempts to criminalize blasphemy and burning flags.
  4. Attempts to censor displays of sex and nudity.
  5. Attempts to ban depictions and protrayals of LGBT people in media.
  6. Attacks the press for exposing their misdeeds and failures.

Do you have any hard evidence for all that?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Most right-wingers want to stop public disorder and looting.
You'd better tell Stephen Yaxley Lennon and his thugs about that....

Most right-wingers want to stop people from being forced to take the knee.
Has Trump taken the knee, has any of the Tory elite taken the kneee?
What's this about 'force'; if they aren't doing it, then it is voluntary

Do you have any evidence that all right-wingers want to ban flag burning?
Flag burning: President Donald Trump calls for Supreme Court to reconsider flag burning laws - CNNPolitics

Most right-wingers prefer democratic campaigns to remove statues rather than having mob rule destroy them in a frenzy.

What is wrong with that?
And so does everyone else

Notanumber

A Free Man
You'd better tell Stephen Yaxley Lennon and his thugs about that....

Did Tommy announce that he was going to attend the London protest or did he announce that he would NOT be attending the protest?

Has Trump taken the knee, has any of the Tory elite taken the kneee?
What's this about 'force'; if they aren't doing it, then it is voluntary

Surely, you are not that deluded. Do you seriously think that those footballers or members of the British police would have kept their jobs had they refused to comply?

Living in England, I have no control over what happens in the USA.

And so does everyone else

It would seem that you are that deluded after all.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Surely, you are not that deluded. Do you seriously think that those footballers or members of the British police would have kept their jobs had they refused to comply?

I could guess. But I know what happened when one footballer started taking the knee.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I believe this `rash` will spread wildly !
And the masks are slipping down,
more and more.

Lot's of knees on the ground !

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think of this, including the comments?

AncientBriton: Take-a-knee tyranny

Pretty ridiculous, on the whole. Is there something in there you think noteworthy, or a point you're trying to make?

David Dorn should be the hero not Floyd.

So?
I don't see Floyd as a hero, and Dorn (based on what I've read) seems a loss to our society. I have no idea what point you think that proves.

How long will it take them to destroy the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

Gallery of Sistine Chapel ceiling - Wikipedia

Perhaps they'll break in, find something about it repugnant, and paint over it.
Wouldn't be the first time THAT'S happened.

SESMeT

Not if the ideology doesn't include having a value that makes one not open to changing one's mind.