• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: can a man be a feminist?

Can a man be a feminist?

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am a man

And I support female liberation

Because I support the all forms of human liberation

And feminism can be classed as a human liberation movement

But I would hesitate to call myself a Feminist

To me, only women can be Feminists

But I do believe that men can become allies of Feminism

I see Feminism as being a woman thing

Although as a man I approve of it very much
Can a trans woman be a feminist?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Juridically speaking feminism is any legislative act suitable to remove all the obstacles to the absolute and perfect equality of the two genders.
In all fields of the social and economic life of a nation.
Since so many law-makers who did these acts are males, the answer is yes.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Not allowing men to be feminist would be sexist, wouldn't it? :p

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yes, men can be feminists.

Feminism is a humanism. Anyone that wants to change the culture to end social, economic, and political marginalization of women can be a feminist.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Anyone that wants to change the culture to end social, economic, and political marginalization of women can be a feminist.

But do women have the time to do this, after they've done all the cleaning and cooking? And I mean done properly, no skimping.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been a feminist since the seventies in the sense that I support gender equality socially and economically, as well as abortion rights.

But not out loud these days, at least not for awhile. The antipathy for men runs high now, especially in the light of the recent anti-abortion legislation in Texas. An expression of support is seen as patronizing and is unwelcome by enough people that one can expect to get his head bitten off for offering it. For now, I'll give them a little space and remain silent in such discussions.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I have been a feminist since the seventies in the sense that I support gender equality socially and economically, as well as abortion rights.

But not out loud these days, at least not for awhile. The antipathy for men runs high now, especially in the light of the recent anti-abortion legislation in Texas. An expression of support is seen as patronizing and is unwelcome by enough people that one can expect to get his head bitten off for offering it. I consider myself a feminist and have been since the seventies, but for now, I'll give them a little space and remain silent in such discussions. I think it comes off as patronizing now.

I think this depends on the women in question. It's something of a paradox. It's really easy for women that are active about feminism to get fatigued because it's a constant battle: we know we need to pick our battles, but we try to pick too many because silence is assent. So fatigue breeds bitterness.

I don't think bitterness is helpful, but it's hard to get mad about it because I totally get it. I get fatigued a lot, especially recently. Despite being something of a hothead I try not to be bitter towards other feminists and allies (except TERFs/SWERFs, they can take a vacation to the sun).

I'm thankful when male feminists and allies speak up because it's that much less burden we all have to carry in that constant decision between picking a battle and feeling guilty for being silent even on small matters.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Crumbs. I'm guessing there's a lot of factional infighting? (Just guessing). I'll stick with the SMURFS.

To an extent. TERFs and SWERFs are a loud minority. Most modern feminism is intersectional. (Meaning it intersects with other aspects that drive peoples' places in social hierarchy and how they might be affected by systemic and social issues based on radicalization, sexuality, economic status, nationality, religion, language, race, and so on).