• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Are you enlightened?

Are you enlightened?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heyo

Veteran Member
Well, for the latin one, I know that one for struggling to understand something and then it is all of sudden clear.

For example for the problem of over-reduction, the 3 classical laws of logic and how they relate, it took me some time.
... and then you had an epiphany and now you are enlightened.

Now that my gears have come into motion, I can play with some other words. In medieval iconography, people receiving an epiphany are depicted in a cone of light. They are illuminated. That's why bright people are sometimes referred to as luminaries. In simpler words they have seen the light.

Colt

1) Are you an enlightened being?

I'm not but I'd like to be :D

But here's the question: 2) What does it mean to be enlightened????

Personally, I think it means to have a strong command of a certain religion or philosophy

To do this I am reading both scripture and books

3) Does anyone have a better definition?
Lil-bit! I know WWE isn't real!

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Personally, I think it means to have a strong command of a certain religion or philosophy

1. No
2. This would mean many professors of theology or philosophy are enlightened which is not the case. That is not at all enlightenment
3. Enlightenment is when you experience Unity with the Absolute, Ultimate Reality and also unity with the entire World and all its beings living as well as inanimate. When you are enlightened, you will experience and know that you are the Universe.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Well, yes. I hold that view too. But to others it is to use only objective reason, logic and evidence.

I think serenity might be necessary for the best application of logic. Otherwise, all of those reactive passions might cloud one's perception or lead to emotional reasoning.

Socrates made a similar argument and the Cynics built upon it, eventually giving rise to the Stoics.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I think being enlightened is a process, not a finale.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

How can I determine whether I'm enlightened or not?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I don't use status it's self Idolating or egotistical. A human pretending they are the God speaking for science as a God who created everything God human.

To be reminded no man is God....you aren't attached to anything except once a baby umbilical cord the human.

Theist a cloud inferred separated topic. Cloud attached to and with mass.

Man theories it as a separated body.

Hence teaching said man you are not attached to anything. Don't believe you are...as he caused mass above to fall out of attachment hurting all bodies...earth nature animals human.

Vowed to never believe in separating by claiming non attachment himself. Control of my man's inability to honour love respect. Begins in my mind.

As all god evils chosen by human men pretence I'm the God speaking.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I voted for the third option (reluctantly) - given that my interpretation of enlightenment might not be what others think of this - and I see myself as somewhat enlightened, especially in comparison with so many others. Mine is more about understanding and knowledge that would tend to reflect reality more accurately rather than deviate from such - so perhaps closer to Buddhism. Such enlightenment will probably not include spirituality or anything as to religious beliefs so much, given that the various options as to such things mostly all don't satisfy any outlook on life that seems to me most probable - and they often do tend to clash most awfully. :oops:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What does it mean to be enlightened????

From the perspective of one who is enlightened? Nothing. The term is meaningless.

Enlightenment exists only from the perspective of transactional reality. From the perspective of the enlightened being, there is nothing to be enlightened to.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
A Theist. A human self idolator says I act like a God.

I look at bio life. I'm owner of all things a greedy rich man. I act as if I'm the greatest life of any human ever.

I want a new resource to give my god a machine life. I'm the inventor of life he says....

Looks at biology yes he says I can theory biology owns electricity. Enlightened I don't think mutual equal...yet I don't want to die. My life human says it wants to be human eternal....an image.

I want a machine that did what the heavens did...from dusts I change it and it gains a bio cell.

So he doesn't build a pressurised machine with water oxygen microbes to carbonise himself. To get an electrified hologram resource by his control man plus machine.

He says burning light above is my heavenly enlightenment as God men theists.

As natural humans spiritual are natural and not enlightened human egotists.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I prefer the Buddhist conception of "enlightened". Having given up attachments etc.
But isn't enlightenment a spiritual attachment we are born into this world with? Vs a physical attachment? Something most considered mundane and almost worthless? Something to often taken for granted?

Matthew 6:19-21

Plato describes it as someone living metaphorically as in a cave before self-realization. Matthew and Isaiah describe it as living in a land of darkness and then seeing a great light. Linchi described it as nothing to it but with great fondness went back to huang-po. With love comes light. Let your love light shine before men.

Aren't all enlightened but not all are aware of their inherent state?

Last edited: