• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

poll: are others wrong?

are you right and others wrong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I am not going to respect someone who believes the moon is made of green cheese
Yes

There are degrees of wrongness

I can respect beliefs that are wrong but reasonably intelligent (e.g. different conceptions of God)

I don't have respect for beliefs that are wrong but stupid (e.g. Earth is ruled by lizard people)

I think there is a difference between the two

But of course, one must respect people regardless of how wrong and/or stupid they are

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I believe praying to stone and marble only puts one between a rock and a hard place.
Funny irony, I don't see what the analogy is a reference to though.

If you're saying those prayers are unsuccessful, I'd say I've had better success praying with crystals than I have had to the Christian God.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"we need not think alike to love alike" - Francis Dávid

However:

Do you think your religious beliefs are correct and that other religious beliefs are wrong?

Or do you see all such beliefs as being equally valid?

I do but it doesn't offend me if someone thinks the same about my beliefs, that's a part of life, different people will hold different opinions

But I do feel considerable social pressure to keep this from others, to not say this in public

But yes, I freely admit that I believe I am right and that those with different opinions are wrong

But that doesn't mean I think any less of those who hold different beliefs to me

And it doesn't mean that I don't tolerate and respect those who hold different beliefs

And yes, people can hold correct beliefs alongside incorrect beliefs so people can be part right whilst also being part wrong

I see everyone's "belief" as equally invalid, including my own unless proven otherwise.

So what you believe is no more valid than what I believe and both of us are likely wrong.

Why, because there is a infinite universe out there that neither of us know much about so have little information to judge what is true.

Soandso

It's a no for me. I'm not interested in being right. I'm interested in learning new things

It's hard to learn anything new if I assume to be right by default - even when it comes to things that I think that I know well. That's not to say that I don't accept or dismiss things at face value, but I always keep an open mind when something is brought up that I hadn't considered or seen before

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
Do you think your religious beliefs are correct and that other religious beliefs are wrong?
Depends on the religious belief. Many religious beliefs can coexist because there beliefs do not correspond to the same aspects of reality.

Not all beliefs can be equally valid. Especially if they are diametrically apposed to each others beliefs. In such cases where beliefs contradict only two considerations can realistically apply...
1) Both belief systems are wrong, in which case neither are valid.
2) One belief system is right and one wrong, in which case only one can be valid.
In no case can diametrically opposed religious beliefs both be valid.
I believe I am right and that those with different opinions are wrong

But that doesn't mean I think any less of those who hold different beliefs to me
The thing to note here is that no one should hold another in less regard or be disrespectful of others because of their beliefs. However, respecting someone else as a person is not the same as respecting their beliefs as being as valid as ones own. Especially if they deal with the same subject matter and one believes their own beliefs are validated. That would be simply hollow lip service.
What one should respect, other than the person, is the journey that person is on to find truth. And God or whatever help those who stop their journey too soon by thinking they know for sure they have absolute truth. That's the point where thinking ceases and delusion makes its home.

people can hold correct beliefs alongside incorrect beliefs so people can be part right whilst also being part wrong
You should qualify your statement here. Neither Atheists nor Theists can both be part right or wrong for instance. Some beliefs systems are all or nothing.

setarcos

If you're saying those prayers are unsuccessful, I'd say I've had better success praying with crystals than I have had to the Christian God.
And I'd say you've completely misunderstood or been incorrectly taught about the purpose of Christian prayer.

setarcos

I see everyone's "belief" as equally invalid, including my own unless proven otherwise.
I'd say your belief about everyone's belief being equally invalid is itself equally invalid which proves your right in being wrong. :grin:

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 1

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You seem to think Christian prayer is simply asking for favors from God, is this incorrect?
You can pray in gratitude, you can pray for guidance, you can pray for understanding... I don't see anything wrong with asking God to consider bringing you to your goals.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
"we need not think alike to love alike" - Francis Dávid

However:

I do but it doesn't offend me if someone thinks the same about my beliefs, that's a part of life, different people will hold different opinions

But I do feel considerable social pressure to keep this from others, to not say this in public

But yes, I freely admit that I believe I am right and that those with different opinions are wrong

And it doesn't mean that I don't tolerate and respect those who hold different beliefs

And yes, people can hold correct beliefs alongside incorrect beliefs so people can be part right whilst also being part wrong

That's a rare attitude for a Christian to have. Most of the Christians on these forums come at you with everything they got to convince everyone else that their non-Christian beliefs are WRONG.

But as to your poll, mine will have to be a rather unique reply. I cannot honestly answer with a blanket YES or NO if other's beliefs are "right" or "wrong" based upon my own beliefs.

Now while I have no choice but to believe in my spiritual beliefs, as I will explain shortly, I let it slide if the overall intent of what they believe in is spiritually valid, minus the cloak of their respective mythology/religion.

As to your other thoughts, I realized as a child that practically everyone was spiritually clueless and completely content being that way. For having an experience with death and subsequently having my soul leave my body, meet God, and had a great amount of spiritual matters explained to me before being returned to life. And it didn't occur to me that I was returned to life any different from others until I went to school. There I was SHOCKED to discover that most of the other kids did not have the spiritual "gifts" or understands that I had. I could not understand that.
Especially since I could read their souls, so they surely had one, but they could not use it's abilities like I could. I just could not figure that one out at the time. Then after one bad experience when I let it slip that I knew something a couple of boys were planning to do to a girl, and seeing the look of FEAR in their eyes because I knew what I wasn't suppose to know, I quickly learned to keep my spiritual "gifts" and understands to myself. Knowing they were mostly spiritually broken for some reason and it would only bring FEAR, ridicule, or harm to myself.

And I have kept it all a secret to anyone I have ever met in person. Only expressing them in "anonymously" on these Internet forums. Mostly in trying to persuade others to look beyond their respective limited mythology/religion that binds their minds to this PHYSICAL realm/world.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
There's two parts to this question.

(1) Are you right?

I like to think so. I mean, I have literally created a blueprint on how to create God one day. People will argue whether will we create that, or to call it God. But I firmly reject the idea of divine immutability, despite it being firmly taught to most Christians and to others of many different religions.

(2) ... and others wrong?

I consider God not to be a being but the quality of a being. An adjective rather than a noun. It is from this point of view that I realize that anything can be viewed as divine, or Godlike. And it is because of this that I don't really consider anyone wrong. Does Yahweh exist? Well, according to the "qualia" of its representation, it could be viewed as if it does.

So, while I agree with the first part, that yes, I am right about the divine, I ultimately have to say no, because others are not wrong in what and how they understand and view God as.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
There's two parts to this question.

(1) Are you right?

I like to think so. I mean, I have literally created a blueprint on how to create God one day. People will argue whether will we create that, or to call it God. But I firmly reject the idea of divine immutability, despite it being firmly taught to most Christians and to others of many different religions.

(2) ... and others wrong?

I consider God not to be a being but the quality of a being. An adjective rather than a noun. It is from this point of view that I realize that anything can be viewed as divine, or Godlike. And it is because of this that I don't really consider anyone wrong. Does Yahweh exist? Well, according to the "qualia" of its representation, it could be viewed as if it does.

So, while I agree with the first part, that yes, I am right about the divine, I ultimately have to say no, because others are not wrong in what and how they understand and view God as.

Since people often use words with a different meaning than the dictionary's meaning, and most words have different dictionary meanings for different applications, I would like to know the extent of the meaning you applied to "immutability" in your above comment.

Exaltist Ethan

Since people often use words with a different meaning than the dictionary's meaning, and most words have different dictionary meanings for different applications, I would like to know the extent of the meaning you applied to "immutability" in your above comment.

Immutability simply means that it does not change. The Christian God reigns over all and is supreme, his divinity does not change. According to most Christians, God was God, is God and will always be God and nothing more or less than that forever. In essence, I believe what divine immutability is, is that the divine powers that God has cannot and will not ever change over time. Of course, I don't believe that means that God cannot change, but his divinity cannot change.

... and that kind of makes sense to me in some regards.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Immutability simply means that it does not change. The Christian God reigns over all and is supreme, his divinity does not change. According to most Christians, God was God, is God and will always be God and nothing more or less than that forever. In essence, I believe what divine immutability is, is that the divine powers that God has cannot and will not ever change over time. Of course, I don't believe that means that God cannot change, but his divinity cannot change.

... and that kind of makes sense to me in some regards.

OK. But what are your beliefs about the rest of the meaning of immutability - "the quality of being timeless and eternal" ?

Exaltist Ethan

OK. But what are your beliefs about the rest of the meaning of immutability - "the quality of being timeless and eternal" ?

Very large and very small things could themselves be viewed as immutable. The Universe has existed as it has for trillions of years. Hydrogen atoms have existed just as long. But things in-between, from stars, to planets, to creatures and life, are flexible - they change and adapt to different environmental surroundings, or die trying.

But I firmly reject the idea of divine immutability

Humans are the most divine thing I know to exist, and yet, we are always prone to change and adaptation of our environment, whether the change occurs because of nature or because of us. In fact, one of my divine attributes was adaptability before I changed it to utility, but both are essentially the same thing. Humans use utilities to adapt to environments.

Apparently God does not need to adapt because God is above affairs that happen in this Universe. Or something. I don't know.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

Very large and very small things could themselves be viewed as immutable. The Universe has existed as it has for trillions of years. Hydrogen atoms have existed just as long. But things in-between, from stars, to planets, to creatures and life, are flexible - they change and adapt to different environmental surroundings, or die trying.

This topic was about the immutability of God, so I wanted to know what you believed about "the quality of being timeless and eternal" of God?