• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Are dogs superior to humans?

Are dogs superior to humans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on the dog. Depends on the human.

My little brown mutt is better than most. My big black dog is better than some. My big fluffy white dog is cute, but is a barnacle head and only wins in the department of drama and messes.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Dogs are evil.

And I can't stand people who say that dogs who bark at you won't bite and that there's no problem in letting a dog walk around outside without a leash.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
For me, I voted no due to how the question was framed..... "superior".

Had the question been, "Do you feel you relate better to most dogs than most humans", the answer might be yes.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had three dogs. One was clever, cheeky, and awesome. He'd tear all the washing off the the clothes line if we left him alone, and one year at Easter he found and ate a stash of chocolate eggs. Innocent isn't the description I'd use for him.

Our second dog was loyal, and innocent. And dumb. Also awesome, but does it make you superior if your brain simply can't generate ways to steal Easter eggs?

And our current dog is one we inherited. I like the old boy, but he'll stare at my wife with disdain whilst pissing on the furniture so...yeah...

Erebus

Dogs are superior to humans but it really isn't a high bar.

I'd possibly have a harder time deciding who's superior if it was a choice between humans and tapeworms. Tapeworms may be repulsive but they also don't try to talk to you on the bus.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Depends on the dog.

Around where i live there are some hunting dogs, i wouldn't want to come across one in the forest. And they don't like cats. I'm always suspicious of anyone or anything that doesn't like cats.

We had a border collie who was gentle and sweet, loving and loyal, thick as 2 short planks.

And we wound up adopting a Pomeranian. Nasty bugger, killed an Alsatian, choked it to death, it got stuck in its throat.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I voted "yes", but admit that the question is a bit too general.

I love dogs. My dog got me through my last divorce more than any other single thing. She has now gone to that great dog park in the sky, but lived to a very advanced age for a dog, so I shouldn't complain. My current dog is sweet natured, highly intelligent, and can do no wrong in my eyes.

People? Well, no comment, though of course people vary.

Time for my usual lecture. Dogs are not little furry people and if you expect them to behave as such you will be very disappointed. They are a different species that has adapted to life with us very successfully, but remains a different species. Understand that and treat them accordingly and you will get on with them well. For example, your dog barks every time someone walks past the house. To us, very annoying and unnecessary. To the dog though, she is warning you of a possible danger that you seem not to be aware of. She sees that as her job, to protect the pack. Of course, you don't want to put up with incessant barking, but see it for what it is, which is not bad behavior.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Dogs are evil.

And I can't stand people who say that dogs who bark at you won't bite and that there's no problem in letting a dog walk around outside without a leash.
You're in trouble now ;)

As far as unleashed dogs go, it really depends on the dog and human. We had one who we could let off leash because she always came when called. One night she started chasing after a small animal and turned around on a time and came back to us when she was called. Our other dogs? Nope. no way.

So if you wanted to qualify your post with "some" and "too often", OK. But absolute statements - nope.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Depends on the dog.

Around where i live there are some hunting dogs, i wouldn't want to come across one in the forest. And they don't like cats. I'm always suspicious of anyone or anything that doesn't like cats.

I don't mind cats, I used to breed British Burmese, and enjoyed them. Cats are different though and I think cats and dogs appeal to different emotions in people.

Dogs don't dislike cats, they see them as prey, they are predators of course. I've seen many examples of dogs and cats getting along well in the same household. The trick seems to be for the cat to stand her ground with the dog and not run away, which triggers their hunting instincts. Another trick is to get them both young.

Hunting dogs, junk yard dogs and other much maligned critters. Unfortunately dogs can be trained to do many things, most of which reflect the characters of their owners rather than the dogs.

We had a border collie who was gentle and sweet, loving and loyal, thick as 2 short planks.

Odd, Border Collies are supposed to be the most intelligent of dogs. On the other hand, some stats released recently said that the breed only determines around 18% of a dog's characteristics, so maybe we have been stereotyping them too much?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Dogs are evil.

:mad:

I agree. Body language will tell you a lot, for example, is the barking dog's tail wagging? But in general, never approach a dog that you don't know without a great deal of care. In general, don't approach a barking dog at all. Another thing, always ask the owner if you or your child may pet the dog. It's polite at least, and the owner will know if the dog behaves well with strangers. And yes, apart from designated "off leash" areas, dogs should be on a leash, for all kinds of reasons including the safety of the dog.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That was an easy decision for me. I used to like to say, "Never trust anything with less than four legs". Then I met a three-legged dog. Now I need a new catchphrase.

Easy... Never trust anything with less than three legs

ChristineM

Premium Member
You guys have a problem with birds?

Nasty vicious things, always fighting each other for a bit of seed, noisy, always twittering away at each other and squawking. Pigeons cooing drives you crazy.

Ain't they great. We have 2 feeders out of cats reach and hang food in trees for them to fight over.

idea

Question Everything
Dogs often reflect their owners. Kind or defensive. Ours are friendly - too friendly (not well behaved).
FYI, in Islam, dogs are impure/unclean, so if you have friends who are... just fyi.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Dogs are evil.

If a dogs probably going to bite you if it licks it’s lips,this is because they think your a threat,barking isn’t so bad but the licking of lips isn’t good at all.