• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Poll) Alternate Death Systems

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nope, i am quite happy that the atoms of my body will go on for ever being reused over and over and over again. Bits of me may become blades of grass, breath of wind, a space vehicle, another human being (we are all made of dead people). One day maybe part of a new star that shine's down on and warms a new world where life us just beginning to evolve.

Doesn't reality best imagination every time?
And just think. The lights came on.

There is no reason to think it won't happen again and again. Big bang after big bang.

It's already established beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's possible, because it already occured.

The question is, "What are 'you' going to be and where?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
What's the difference between rebirth and reincarnation?

You'd have to ask a Buddhist. I only know from my best understanding. Basically with rebirth, it's more like a recreation of the person with basically no remaining traits under different circumstances.

Whereas a reincarnation involves a person basically having the same soul, rebirth just involves the leftover scum being passed on or something. Buddhists believe souls are mortal, while believers of many of the reincarnation religions believe in largely immortal souls.

Difference Between Reincarnation and Rebirth | Compare the Difference Between Similar Terms

I like that there's a sense of variety here.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And just think. The lights came on.

There is no reason to think it won't happen again and again. Big bang after big bang.

It's already established beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's possible, because it already occured.

The question is, "What are 'you' going to be and where?

Intriguing. I never considered what happens to my atoms when this universe dies.

I really dont know what i would be, i dont know the conditions and laws of a new universe.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Voted other. I believe that we are not singular things...we each are made up of constant flows of matter carrying energy through roughly 60 trillion cells, each made of (just a random guess here) tens of billions of atoms...all those components 'return' to the environment and carry on into the future...as an animist, I also believe we are nonsingular souls/spirits...colonies, networks, composites...of these components...'Me' as a current composite ends, but parts may continue and retain something from this life and prior lives and other lives...

some stay with the body, dissipating as it dissipates; others continue on to rebirth, perhaps in many bodies; still others may go on to some spirit world of rest and/or eternal life; yet others relive this life again...

That's the way I want it to be, what I'd prefer; it's also the way I think things should be; and also the way I think things are.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
This is a tough one but in the end I went with no afterlife.

People tend to view the no afterlife scenario in one of two ways: It makes this life precious or it makes existence meaningless. Neither is necessarily wrong but I lean towards the latter. It cements the universe as an utterly uncaring place but at least death is then a release from suffering rather than a continuation of it.

I'm in the "meaningless" camp. I couldn't see my entire life, everything I've worked for basically blow up in smoke (this means every tax I paid has been a waste of time and money, every story I've read becomes pointless, etc)

Though tbh, I couldn't stand true immortality either (for reference, minor alters to these basic ones are allowed, so you don't have to die first if you become a Taoist Sage or something).

I think aside from a temporary afterlife, followed by reincarnation, I'd probably want to be a ghost.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**RULE 8 REMINDER**
8. Preaching/Proselytizing
Creating (or linking to) content intended to convert/recruit others to your religion, spirituality, sect/denomination, or lack thereof is not permitted. Similarly, attempting to convert others away from their religion, spiritual convictions, or sect/denomination will also be considered a form of preaching. Stating opinions as a definitive matter of fact (i.e., without "I believe/feel/think" language, and/or without references) may be moderated as preaching.

Failure to use qualifiers expressing opinion or belief may result in moderation under Rule 8.

ChristineM

Premium Member
True immortality wound be nice. Especially once interstellar space travel becomes a thing.

Don't you think space travel would get tedious after a few trillion years, once you seem half a billion solar systems they all look the same.

But hang on, i read a while ago that biologists are trying to find away of adapting this to humans

Turritopsis dohrnii - Wikipedia

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Currently, there are only about four systems of what happens after you die:
No Afterlife: You die, your body rots. There's no such thing as soul
Rebirth: Usually Buddhist, your body rots and souls are destroyed. However, the self is like a candle able to be passed to a new vessel (which usually winds up making the same stupid mistakes)
Reincarnation: The soul is immortal and transfers to a new body.
Afterlife: You go to... wherever, depending on the religion. People often think all religions are this category and all believe in Heaven and Hell, which reveals their extreme ignorance. The Norse for instance believe in Nine Worlds where things live, and some of these are part of an afterlife.
However, this is not the limit of all systems that can exist.
Resetting: Similar to how an RPG works. You repeat the "game" at the last "save point" until you get it right
Reiteration: People you know come in and out of your life through death but they get to "echo" as different people with similar features.
Recycling: You die, and your soul converts into energy. Your body, on the other hand converts into raw materials for new life.
Immortality: You, assuming you earn it, rise from the dead as a sort of invincible solid superghost. All lesser souls become petty ghosts until their goals are resolved, in which case, an afterlife or reincarnation occurs.
Other: There's probably other ideas.
For this exercise, don't tell me what you feel as part of your worldview, you "should" believe, but what type of system you'd prefer. This should get more varied answers than atheists all jumping on the bandwagon of no afterlife
I chose other: I believe that after death, the soul does what the person believing wants (this includes people who want to punish themselves).
I also choose 'other' because I believe that after death there is unconscious sleep as Ecclesiastes 9:5 says.
I believe the soul dies because the soul that sins dies - Ezekiel 18:4,20
So, the 'other ' choice is resurrection.
Resurrection meaning a coming back to life at a future time such as during Jesus' 1,000-year reign over Earth.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Don't you think space travel would get tedious after a few trillion years, once you seem half a billion solar systems they all look the same.
Nah. The quest and pursuit of knowledge is perpetual. And if you have forever, space travel would be a blink of an eye. A long one, but immortality would fundamentally alter our perception of time (or at least I think it would).

ChristineM

Premium Member
Nah. The quest and pursuit of knowledge is perpetual. And if you have forever, space travel would be a blink of an eye. A long one, but immortality would fundamentally alter our perception of time (or at least I think it would).

So what comes after exploring the universe i wonder

amorphous_constellation

Reiteration: People you know come in and out of your life through death but they get to "echo" as different people with similar features.

I don't get what you mean by that , very confusing to me. What happens to you?

Immortality: You, assuming you earn it, rise from the dead as a sort of invincible solid superghost. All lesser souls become petty ghosts until their goals are resolved, in which case, an afterlife or reincarnation occurs.
Other: There's probably other ideas.

Made me think of a possible system where most of our ghosts possibly slowly dissipate. Perhaps they dissipate slower or faster depending on how good you were in life

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted Afterlife (Any)

The astral body permanently separates from the physical and continues to experience as the personality on the astral plane.

I also wanted to vote for 'Reincarnation' but the poll only lets you make one selection. The soul also eventually reincarnates to have new growing experiences.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I voted ‘other’.
I’d like to sleep in...forever.
Slipping between yoga nidra and dreams.
From time to time I may have a cup of tea.
But I would never need to take a p***.