• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Correctness? Postmodernism?.. Is there an umbrella category?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There is a sort of soup of ideas that seem to come a lot, and in relationship with each other:

- political correctness
- postmodernism
- postmodern feminism
- microaggression
- intersectionality
- neomarxism
- liberal bias in academia
- white privilege
- cultural appropriation
- identity politics

It seems like there is some perspective or category that encompasses all of these ideas or situations. Anyone know?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have this tendency to lump them all as liberals, only for others to tell me they are liberals and this isn't them. So...regressive left.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It seems like there is some perspective or category that encompasses all of these ideas or situations. Anyone know?
Terms that tons of people (on "both sides," especially the two political fan clubs) throw out there and use to try to make themselves look smart and informed but actually end up revealing their total ignorance of the subjects?

icehorse

Premium Member
Terms that tons of people (on "both sides," especially the two political fan clubs) throw out there and use to try to make themselves look smart and informed but actually end up revealing their total ignorance of the subjects?

Folks who champion these ideas often have affinities for the related ideas. While I like @Rival 's term "regressive left", that's clearly derogatory.

I wonder what term or phrase folks who champion these ideas would use.

You can be snarky here, but these ideas are quite popular, so to say that both proponents and opponents are ignorant, seems wrong.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Folks who champion these ideas often have affinities for the related ideas. While I like @Rival 's term "regressive left", that's clearly derogatory.
The "Regressive Left" are some of those throwing some of those terms around without really knowing that much about them. But a lot of people who go on about things like post-modernism, liberal bias in academia, cultural appropriation, political correctness or white privilege, they use them as political tools, nothing more, they don't know anything about them, and more often than not are used to fuel sentiments "oversensitive" Liberals and "insensitive" Conservatives.

icehorse

Premium Member
The "Regressive Left" are some of those throwing some of those terms around without really knowing that much about them. But a lot of people who go on about things like post-modernism, liberal bias in academia, cultural appropriation, political correctness or white privilege, they use them as political tools, nothing more, they don't know anything about them, and more often than not are used to fuel sentiments "oversensitive" Liberals and "insensitive" Conservatives.

I agree that weird stuff happens on both sides. But it would be useful if we could find a term so that it could be discussed and debated.

I infer that Jordan Peterson uses "postmodernism", and that might be correct, but it sounds a little too academic? maybe it's okay?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree that weird stuff happens on both sides. But it would be useful if we could find a term so that it could be discussed and debated.

I infer that Jordan Peterson uses "postmodernism", and that might be correct, but it sounds a little too academic? maybe it's okay?
I guess you could say those words are sort of like invoking the name of Friedrich Nietzsche. More often than not, those who do aren't using him in context, they are looking at him through rose-tinted glasses (or ****-smeared ones for the pessimist), and lots of people quote him and say he is inspiration though a good number of those holding him up were cast down and scorned in Nietzsche's writings.

icehorse

Premium Member
I guess you could say those words are sort of like invoking the name of Friedrich Nietzsche. More often than not, those who do aren't using him in context, they are looking at him through rose-tinted glasses..

Zooming out for a moment. What I've noticed in a lot of RF discussions / debates is that they end up just being differences in semantics. I'm at the stage of just wanting to agree on a term. Then, with an agreeable term in hand we can start assessing and criticizing and so on.

So it could be that the term "postmodern" has been besmirched, but I'm not even convinced that that's a term the members of the club themselves would agree to.

Postmodern doesn't mean much as a label to me, so I Googled it. The wikipedia entry for it is pretty loaded - so I would say that whether or not someone agreed that these characteristics were postmodern might not really matter - because it looks like lots of things are. Maybe it's just too general and non-descriptive to be useful.

Your list could accurately be described as "culturally highly sensitive" without being judgemental.
Some might identify with it, others against it.
The "againsts" might think of it as hypersensitive.
The "withs" as a minimum of sensitivity required for getting along and pursuit of kumbaya moments.
Either way, "highly sensitive" works.

Postmodern doesn't mean much as a label to me, so I Googled it. The wikipedia entry for it is pretty loaded - so I would say that whether or not someone agreed that these characteristics were postmodern might not really matter - because it looks like lots of things are. Maybe it's just too general and non-descriptive to be useful.

Your list could accurately be described as "culturally highly sensitive" without being judgemental.
Some might identify with it, others against it.
The "againsts" might think of it as hypersensitive.
The "withs" as a minimum of sensitivity required for getting along and pursuit of kumbaya moments.
Either way, "highly sensitive" works.

Not sure if neomarxism works with that though.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There is a sort of soup of ideas that seem to come a lot, and in relationship with each other:

- political correctness
- postmodernism
- postmodern feminism
- microaggression
- intersectionality
- neomarxism
- liberal bias in academia
- white privilege
- cultural appropriation
- identity politics

Homogenization.