• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Compass Test

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ive been saying it for years: y'all need to curb stomp the Reps and dump them if you want to win and clear up your image, because youre guilty by association.
Pubs love regulation, despite cultivating an image otherwise.
Besides...if people understood us better, they'd be even more frightened.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Took it again. I'm obviously feeling more...red today,

chart
I prefer to think of it as "anti-purple".

Erebus

chart

If I recall my results from a few years back, it looks as though I've shifted further left but not by a drastic amount.

I guess this is what happens when you despise big business and big government ;)

Who would you denote as an example of far-right economic ideology?

Can't say I'm a big fan of the terms left/right as they are functionally pretty meaningless.

If I had to though, then I suppose it would have to be pure laissez-faire capitalism. Ayn Rand would be far-right economically.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Can't say I'm a big fan of the terms left/right as they are functionally pretty meaningless.

If I had to though, then I suppose it would have to be pure laissez-faire capitalism. Ayn Rand would be far-right economically.
It's a good bet that most stuff with 'state' in the description is going to be at least more Left.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
  • Our philosophy is that your right to swing your arms ends where your neighbor's
  • nose begins. Pollution which could harm others is therefore worth regulating.
  • I can see curbing pollution even more than we already do....it's a libertarian thing.
  • And it would apply not just to corporations, but also sole proprietors, partnerships,
  • government, & individuals.
  • In a democracy people will want such security, & will vote for politicians who'd
  • provide it. This is inevitable because the majority will get their way, & it'll be
  • politically & economically stable. So while I don't like the idea of government
  • meddling in it, it's a foregone conclusion that they will.
  • The question becomes....what is the most libertarian way it could happen?
  • (This means maximizing everyone's social & economic liberty.)
  • I currently don't have a proposal.
    • I believe in the individual's right to destroy oneself, eg, drinking, smoking, extreme sports, over-eating.
Tis good to ask questions.
Too many contrary posters just make uninformed pronouncements.

Btw, I don't know how to make this response look right.
You & your goll darn rassin frassin bullet points!
A reference point to consider: among pets, dogs would be liberal, cats would be libertarian. I'm a dog person...:cool:

Rational Agnostic

Take it here, report back to us your results:

The Political Compass

I appreciate that this test divides political ideology along both economic and social access. I scored solidly in the libertarian left quadrant. Quite a change from a several years ago when I was much more conservative.

How about you? Where do you fall?

The test is flawed. For instance, the very first statement "If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations" is written under the assumption that the interests of humanity and the interests of trans-national corporations are mutually exclusive. But there is no logical reason that this must necessarily be the case.

Similarly, the very next statement "I’d always support my country, whether it was right or wrong" is written under the assumption that there is always an absolute right and wrong in politics and that right or wrong are not subjective and relative to the positions and experiences of people in individual countries and regions.

I didn't read beyond this.

Why take such an obviously flawed test?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The test is flawed. For instance, the very first statement "If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations" is written under the assumption that the interests of humanity and the interests of trans-national corporations are mutually exclusive. But there is no logical reason that this must necessarily be the case.
It seems like your response would simply be "Disagree" then. Perhaps even "Strongly Disagree."

Similarly, the very next statement "I’d always support my country, whether it was right or wrong" is written under the assumption that there is always an absolute right and wrong in politics and that right or wrong are not subjective and relative to the positions and experiences of people in individual countries and regions.
It doesn't mention whether the rightness or wrongness is subjective or objective, so I suppose it's up to your interpretation.

Why take such an obviously flawed test?
You're certainly under no obligation. I have no idea if the test has been psychometrically validated, I mostly just think it's interesting and fun. Anecdotally most people who take it seem satisfied that the results accurately represent them.

I'm always looking for suggestions of other online tests that accurately map political ideology, though. Know of any?

wellwisher

One of the problems with this test and chart can be seen with some examples. President John F Kennedy, who was a Democrat, was considered a liberal in his day. However, he had many policies closer to what would be called Conservative Republican, today. He believed in a strong military and tax cuts to boost the economy. The Conservative Republicans of today, are more liberal than they were 60 years ago. One would be hard pressed to see much difference between Kennedy of 1960, and a Republican today.

Bill Clinton believed in welfare reform and had Conservative views, like today, that led to economic prosperity. Obama used to believe in border control. The Progressive media called this centrist when it benefited the party. Now these same positions are no longer called centrist by the left, but are now considered radial right. This test has been rigged by years of media deception and left wing propaganda. It assumes you bought into many of the current left wing assumptions, of what defines center, today. Center should not change in a subjective way over time.

When religion was more prominent in US culture, in the 1950's, being without religion, was considered radical left. Now religion is called radical right, by the left, instead a centrist majority. Conservatives tend to conserve, while Progressives tend to try new things, often to divide people, for their own political advantages. The flip flop, on border control, is an example of two faces dividing people, to gain an advantage b moving the central goal post.

Say the chart and test was rewritten based on the centrist standards of 1960 or 1860, we would all end up in a different position based on these centers. Even modern conservative would swing more to the left, due to the impact of left wing media and forced social changes.

I believe in solutions that work, over solutions which benefit an ideology in the short term; election to election. That is the common sense middle that does not change with time. Running government with huge deficits is not an optimized solution. This is needed due to a lot of bad policy and legal obligations, that have move the goal post, called the common sense center, toward the left.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
  • Our philosophy is that your right to swing your arms ends where your neighbor's
  • nose begins. Pollution which could harm others is therefore worth regulating.
  • I can see curbing pollution even more than we already do....it's a libertarian thing.
  • And it would apply not just to corporations, but also sole proprietors, partnerships,
  • government, & individuals.
  • In a democracy people will want such security, & will vote for politicians who'd
  • provide it. This is inevitable because the majority will get their way, & it'll be
  • politically & economically stable. So while I don't like the idea of government
  • meddling in it, it's a foregone conclusion that they will.
  • The question becomes....what is the most libertarian way it could happen?
  • (This means maximizing everyone's social & economic liberty.)
  • I currently don't have a proposal.
    • I believe in the individual's right to destroy oneself, eg, drinking, smoking, extreme sports, over-eating.
Tis good to ask questions.
Too many contrary posters just make uninformed pronouncements.

Btw, I don't know how to make this response look right.
You & your goll darn rassin frassin bullet points!
Out of curiosity, have your read "American Kingpin" by Nick Bilton, about Ross Ulrich who created the notorious "Silk Road" web site, a clandestine online drug bazaar hidden on the deep web? I did, a few months ago. Very interesting read, but the most fascinating thing is that Ulrich really and truly thought of himself as a true Libertarian, and that philosophy guided most of his choices.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Out of curiosity, have your read "American Kingpin" by Nick Bilton, about Ross Ulrich who created the notorious "Silk Road" web site, a clandestine online drug bazaar hidden on the deep web? I did, a few months ago. Very interesting read, but the most fascinating thing is that Ulrich really and truly thought of himself as a true Libertarian, and that philosophy guided most of his choices.
I'm unfamiliar with him.
I wonder what a "true libertarian" is?
I don't have a prefix.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Progressives tend to try new things, often to divide people, for their own political advantages.
Personally, I'm very fond of national parks. And, of course, the "great outdoors" is pretty deeply ingrained into American culture. Uniquely American, perhaps even, in how we go about doing it and thinking about it.

Economic Left/Right: -2.97
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.13
chart

Seems very US centric. For example I would answer differently if I was living in the US verses another country.