• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Police: Woman killed man who fired AR-15-style rifle into party crowd

Suave

Simulated character
I wasn't there. For example the 19 police officers in Texas waited 1 hour and 20 minutes in the hallway until border patrol came in and took him out.

There was the retired police officer security guard who shot the armor wearing racist shooter whom the armed security guard could not keep from shooting his racist; gunman's AR-15 massacring the armed security guard and 9 shoppers in Buffalo, New York.

(edit) *I would not expect a suicide mission by police to take down a barricaded gunman who has the lethal fire power of an AR-15. If we as a society allow private ownership of semi-auto firearms, then we should expect the lethal consequences*

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Cops have no legal duty to protect anyone.
Their goal is to stay safe. An armed person
who is attacked is already on site, & has more
of a motive to defend.
Not every armed person will win a gun fight
with a bad guy. But being armed improves
the odds. It's why cops are armed.

Being armed also carries an intense amount of responsibility, not only that you may have to shoot an individual (something I doubt many armed civilians are ready for), but also that that gun isn't going to hurt an innocent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Have you ever had active shooter training?
No. But I was a competitive shooter.
So I'm familiar with what guns can do.
I have (being a teacher and all). I roleplayed both parts (active shooter and teachers). Armed teachers made little difference at the beginning because no amount of training prepares an individual to comprehend the situation, draw, and fire when someone begins shooting in a crowded hallway.
And yet...civilians use guns successfully
in self defense regularly.
As for your role playing...I've no idea how
indicative that is of results in an actual
assault scenario.
In fact, locking doors, throwing things, and swarming the shooter was pretty darned effective.
In a role playing situation?
Or is this in documented real world shootings?

We Never Know

No Slack
I did in post #42.

And as I said I may have missed it.

So in your opinion you think its best to leave teachers unarmed even though shoooters(no matter if guns are legal or illegal) target schools, leaving the kids and teachers vulnerable to the shooter until they can call someone with a gun to come save them, even though it could be quite a while before they can.

We Never Know

No Slack
There was the retired police officer security guard who shot the armor wearing racist shooter whom the armed security guard could not keep from shooting his racist; gunman's AR-15 massacring the armed security guard and 9 shoppers in Buffalo, New York.

(edit) *I would not expect a suicide mission by police to take down a barricaded gunman who has the lethal fire power of an AR-15. If we as a society allow private ownership of semi-auto firearms, then we should expect the lethal consequences*

Maybe he should have stayed retired. A head shot beats body armor any day.

And thats a problem I have with many police shootings. They are trained to shoot. So why shoot to kill an unarmed guy running because he is running. Shoot him in the leg, shoulder, etc.

@Revoltingest. Can tell you about that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Being armed also carries an intense amount of responsibility, not only that you may have to shoot an individual (something I doubt many armed civilians are ready for), but also that that gun isn't going to hurt an innocent.
It is indeed a lot of responsibility.
But teachers have advantages over cops.
- They're on site when the school is attacked.
- They've more incentive to act in defense.
- They're able to recognize who is the perp,
& who is an innocent. Cops have less
awareness of the situation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

And thats a problem I have with many police shootings. They are trained to shoot. So why shoot to kill an unarmed guy running because he is running. Shoot him in the leg, shoulder, etc.

In my training, center of mass is best.
But if body armor, pelvis is a big target, & will stop a person.
Head is small, but still an option.

We Never Know

No Slack
In my training, center of mass is best.
But if body armor, pelvis is a big target, & will stop a person.
Head is small, but still an option.

If I were a cop and the person isnt armed, I would shoot for the legs or shoulder to avoid vital organs. It would still bring them down. However If they are armed I would shoot to kill because a leg or shoulder shot leaves them to fire back and kill me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I were a cop and the person isnt armed, I would shoot for the legs or shoulder to avoid vital organs. It would still bring them down. However If they are armed I would who it to kill because a leg or shoulder shot leaves them to fire back and kill me.
Why shoot an unarmed person at all?

74x12

Gun restriction laws do not necessarily protect people from gun violence. Let's take Norway for example which does have gun restriction laws similar to what liberals would like to see in America. It did not protect Norway from suffering one of the worst mass shooting events in world history. 77 people killed by Anders Breivik.

Then again; in recent times people have used vehicles in America and places like France as weapons to kill a lot of people. Just plowing them down. It's quite deadly in certain situations.
Finally, improvised explosive devices have killed many people recently in middle eastern countries. There is no easy way to defend against these attacks.

There is no good excuse for taking guns. Murderers in America are fixated on guns because they've been programmed with TV shows, movies and video games. So, every psycho in America fantasizes about running around putting bullets in people like they see in the movies.

But in other countries psychos are doing even more deadly suicide bombing attacks. Guns in the hands of the good guys can help defend against not just other guns but against other forms of deadly attacks.

Suave

Simulated character

I can usually hit a head sized nearby target standing still, but often miss a mid ranged moving head sized target. So I would then aim for the larger sized body at mid range. If this target were wearing body armor and returned fire at me not wearing body armor, then I would be likely screwed.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Gun restriction laws do not necessarily protect people from gun violence. Let's take Norway for example which does have gun restriction laws similar to what liberals would like to see in America. It did not protect Norway from suffering one of the worst mass shooting events in world history. 77 people killed by Anders Breivik.

Then again; in recent times people have used vehicles in America and places like France as weapons to kill a lot of people. Just plowing them down. It's quite deadly in certain situations.
Finally, improvised explosive devices have killed many people recently in middle eastern countries. There is no easy way to defend against these attacks.

There is no good excuse for taking guns. Murderers in America are fixated on guns because they've been programmed with TV shows, movies and video games. So, every psycho in America fantasizes about running around putting bullets in people like they see in the movies.

But in other countries psychos are doing even more deadly suicide bombing attacks. Guns in the hands of the good guys can help defend against not just other guns but against other forms of deadly attacks.
In any event, the reason for some to want guns for self defense is because there are so many guns in society and they feel threatened. They acknowledge society is dangerous due to so many guns. Yet there is no admission that reducing the number of guns in society would decrease the threat they feel. They want more guns, and this is irrational given the prevalences of guns in society makes them feel unsafe.