• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police shoots 13 year old kid when he raises his arms in air.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

It is a shame whenever a life is taken... that person represents a lineage of potential people.

However, I am not going to fault the police on this one.

1. It is dark and the title says "may have" - which means also "he may have not"
  2. What is a 13 year old carrying a gun for
  3. a split second is the difference. Can you tell in a split second that you are actually releasing a gun and not lifting it to shoot?
  4. Would want to hear the voice on this one too.
So... 'no' on the disarming even though it pains me that a 13 year old is now dead.

Long Branch teen describes killing his family like 'nothing happened'

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It is a shame whenever a life is taken... that person represents a lineage of potential people.

However, I am not going to fault the police on this one.

1. It is dark and the title says "may have" - which means also "he may have not"
  2. What is a 13 year old carrying a gun for
  3. a split second is the difference. Can you tell in a split second that you are actually releasing a gun and not lifting it to shoot?
  4. Would want to hear the voice on this one too.
So... 'no' on the disarming even though it pains me that a 13 year old is now dead.

Long Branch teen describes killing his family like 'nothing happened'
He had his hands in the air when he was shot. So perhaps a bit hasty with trigger-finger?

Altfish

Veteran Member
We don't have that (for people)...except for cops.
In self defense, it's permissible though.
Contrast this with England, where if someone assaults
you, you're required to cooperate, so as to provide
them with a safe working environment.
I much prefer the UK system, when I see a cop I'm not frightened that they may shoot me.
Police at airports have guns, it frightens me that they do.

You have the wrong impression of the requirements if you are assaulted in the UK (Not just England), defending yourself with (I think this phrase is correct) appropriate force is allowed.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
According to news... split second? (don't know for sure)
Well from the video I have seen, the gun he presumably had been carrying was found behind the fence (a few metres away), so by the time he was confronted and where he raised his hands he didn't possess it. He was shot in the chest facing the cop and the light didn't look that bad. The cop appears to have just been too quick and especially probably not realising the age of the person.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Well from the video I have seen, the gun he presumably had been carrying was found behind the fence (a few metres away), so by the time he was confronted and where he raised his hands he didn't possess it. He was shot in the chest facing the cop and the light didn't look that bad. The cop appears to have just been too quick and especially probably not realising the age of the person.
If that is the case.... the police was wrong. I still don't favor disarming cops.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
If that is the case.... the police was wrong. I still don't favor disarming cops.
There is partial blame in many of these incidents, like the guy shot in the car trying to get away. Why take the risk when you know the cops are armed? I'm quite happy that they don't routinely carry them here in the UK.

I know we’re all ready to say cops need more this and that. However, most cases where a cop shooting is involved the person is armed. Just because the media likes to stream every time a cop does something wrong doesn’t mean we should just up and extrapolate all cops are bad. Remember cops have millions of interactions a year & error in judgment in only dozens of cases are shown.

On a side note people who do a bad job unfortunately may not be helped by any additional training because they are simply not up to par. Some people training can only do so much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I much prefer the UK system, when I see a cop I'm not frightened that they may shoot me.
Police at airports have guns, it frightens me that they do.

You have the wrong impression of the requirements if you are assaulted in the UK (Not just England), defending yourself with (I think this phrase is correct) appropriate force is allowed.
Cops are indeed best avoided here.
Many people I know have bad experiences with them.
It pays to tread lightly around them, & act in accordance
with them liking one...or at least not being afraid of one.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Remember cops have millions of interactions a year & error in judgment in only dozens of cases are shown.
While that is a valid statistic, how about when you compare US cops vs. cops in other countries? Then you see that even the "dozen of cases" are comparatively high. So either US cops are badly trained or US citizens are exceptionally dangerous. Or both. Probably both.

esmith

Veteran Member
So, disarm the police and do nothing about the criminals with a firearm?
Got to hand it to you with that idea; did you think first? Doubt it.

While that is a valid statistic, how about when you compare US cops vs. cops in other countries? Then you see that even the "dozen of cases" are comparatively high. So either US cops are badly trained or US citizens are exceptionally dangerous. Or both. Probably both.

Im more inclined to lean on that criminal are pretty dangerous. Compared to most European & Asian countries - more shootings. Though yes I’ve had some interactions with traffic cops where I felt they were full of themselves. So maybe it’s a mix of both.

I would though say in my mind there’s bigger problems. Like more than 500K abortions per year in the US. Without getting into the morality of it - couldn’t a lot of them been avoided that weren’t due to rape or medical risk. Anyway I digress.