• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police shoots 13 year old kid when he raises his arms in air.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, more training on how to handle themselves & the situations
they encounter. Also, cops tend to be weak on knowing the rights
of civilians....seeming to be all about fearing & fighting us, rather
than protecting anyone but other cops.

I agree that cops tend to be weak on knowing the rights of civilians, but if that's the case, then it indicates that the lawyers and judges are also weak in that department. Or maybe not "weak," but they know all the loopholes and legal tricks to violate people's rights. Likewise, cops usually count on the general public not knowing their rights.

3 problems...
1) Their culture of "us against them", ie, civilians are a
threat, & therefore the enemy.

Yes, but where does that come from?

2) TV shows make their job look more dangerous than it
really is. Cops have an irrational fear of us.

TV shows are made to be entertaining, so they have to have some drama and action.

3) Their culture of being "heroes", & above the rest of us.

It's not just their culture. It's the media and government overall. I remember a time, philosophically, when more people would look at crime as a symptom of a deeper problem. However, we don't hear much of that anymore. Now, the prevailing culture is more that of a never-ending action film, where the "bad guys" are just one-dimensional beings. If the cops see them that way, then it's only because the media and ruling class see them that way.

I've also run into the other side of that coin, ie, cops who
just can't be bothered to address any petty crime.

My experience is somewhat different. Although the fact is, most crimes go unsolved anyway. This would indicate that the police have different priorities.

Of course, by "more training", I'm proposing that it be better.
Not a continuation of the status quo....
"When angry in doubt, kill the ************* civilian".

As long as that civilian is among the underclass, then it's clear the ruling class has no problem with this. The cops are doing what the ruling class wants them to do. You don't hear about any "accidental" killings of billionaires, bankers, or cartel leaders. I wonder why.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I like Norways system. They have a huge hunting population and gun control together.

Maybe a custom made system could be drafted based on Norway as a template that preserves the second amendment and offers adequate gun regulation in a bipartisan way.

Norwegians love their guns as much as Americans.

Norway cops have to deal with a LOT less violence though. It is a different situation.

Would you feel safe, as a cop, to patrol around California without a gun on you?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm betting she had 26 years experience of not knowing what she's doing.
How much training did she receive in order to be a trainer? Quality?
Consider this guy....
Shooting of Justine Damond - Wikipedia
He had 7 months of training...insufficient for a license to kill.
He also had a troubling record, showing a propensity
to assault & threaten civilians.
It doesn't appear that the system weeds out the bad cops,
& it doesn't adequately train any of them, given their fear
of the populace, & over-reaction to any perceived threat.
They're just too eager to shoot to kill.
It is not so much the cops, the foot soldiers, it is that the system works as planned. Like with gun control, it is not (only) the training that is lacking, but the political will to change.
About one or two years ago an officer was fired for not shooting a disturbed guy. The officer was ex military and had de-escalation training.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Norway cops have to deal with a LOT less violence though. It is a different situation.

Would you feel safe, as a cop, to patrol around California without a gun on you?
I don't deny that police need the proper gear to protect the public and themselves.

I like the idea of employing Keratine based arms and in Norway lethal weapons are kept in the patrol vehicles if needed. Also the eliminating of qualified immunity. Body cams have already shown their value. I would feel safe enough with those scenarios.

pearl

We really need to disarm the police. It's gotten way to far out of hand by this point.

It certainly raises many more unanswered questions;
what was a 13 year old out at that time
who was the adult he was with
was it some kind of gang initiation

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It certainly raises many more unanswered questions;
what was a 13 year old out at that time
who was the adult he was with
was it some kind of gang initiation
Yea. That another whole kettle of worms in itself.

There's no reason any 13 year old should be out much less carrying a firearm without adult supervision.

Obviously the kid was up to something.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't see how it could be possible to disarm the police when the general population is armed to their teeth.
Clearly according to the wingnut right, what's needed is to make it much much easier for everyone to be armed to the teeth with fully automatic weapons and large magazines

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Clearly according to the wingnut right, what's needed is to make it much much easier for everyone to be armed to the teeth with fully automatic weapons and large magazines

Reminds me of this.

Archie Bunker: [on TV] Now I want to talk about another thing that's on everybody's minds today, and that's your stick-ups and your skyjackings, and which, if that were up to me, I could end the skyjackings tomorrow.

Michael 'Meathead' Stivic: You could?

Archie Bunker: [on TV] All you gotta do is arm all your passengers. He ain't got no more moral superiority there, and he ain't gonna dare to pull out no rod. And then your airlines, they wouldn't have to search the passengers on the ground no more, they just pass out the pistols at the beginning of the trip, and they just pick them up at the end! Case closed.

Altfish

Veteran Member
We still value things like freedom of speech, freedom
of religion, the right to a jury trial, etc, etc.
And yes, the right to bear arms.
I don't trust our government to operate without the
constraints imposed by the Constitution. Would you
have given Trump the ability to do anything he wants?
I wouldn't.
"Freedom to Kill" is the phrase you are looking for.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a very unfortunate outcome, but I lived in Chicago for many years, in Latin King infested neighborhoods. A 13-year-old running around at 3am in an alley with a gun is a very real threat to anyone, including a police officer. In the dark, and in a split second, he has to decide what he's seeing and what to do. This is in no way similar to the instances of the blatant abuse of force that so many people are outraged about.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't deny that police need the proper gear to protect the public and themselves.

I like the idea of employing Keratine based arms and in Norway lethal weapons are kept in the patrol vehicles if needed. Also the eliminating of qualified immunity. Body cams have already shown their value. I would feel safe enough with those scenarios.

Here in Rio de Janeiro, we have cops and also what we call municipal guards. The biggest difference between them in practice is that the later can't carry guns.

Do you know what a municipal guard is generally going to do if he spots a criminal with a gun? Nothing, he doesn't have a death wish.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is not so much the cops, the foot soldiers, it is that the system works as planned. Like with gun control, it is not (only) the training that is lacking, but the political will to change.
About one or two years ago an officer was fired for not shooting a disturbed guy. The officer was ex military and had de-escalation training.
Change is slow, but it might be happening.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Freedom to Kill" is the phrase you are looking for.
We don't have that (for people)...except for cops.
In self defense, it's permissible though.
Contrast this with England, where if someone assaults
you, you're required to cooperate, so as to provide
them with a safe working environment.