• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poems That Will Change Your Mind About Poetry

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings to all poetry lovers!

Hope you are enjoying your time with us here on the forum ...

Here's a site I found while looking for something completely different.

There are a great many people who say they hate poetry—and I can't blame them. After all, I had the same educational experience you had. When we were young, they taught us that poetry was "stuff that rhymes." Then, during some high school English class, a teacher decided it was time we learned "classic poetry," and we spent months counting off iambs in Shakespearean sonnets and trudging through T.S. Eliot's "Wasteland."

My point is just this: Poetry is neither so grand nor so distant as our lackluster education often makes it out to be. Poetry is versatile, powerful, and—believe it or not!—fun. So in celebration of National Poetry Month, I've put together a list of nine of my favorite poems in the hopes that I can show you there's a type of poetry for everyone. Let's begin.

9 Poems That Will Change Your Mind About Poetry

Enjoy!

:)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If people would just realize that song lyrics are poetry, it wouldn't take them long to decide they like poetry...

but then, Steve Allen had a great routine of reading current pop hits as great poetry...

unfortunately, I don't find actual links to any of them, though...