• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pleasure Marriages in Islam

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
All Muslims I know have been married to the same person for many years.
I've read a lot of the Quran and I don't recall reading anything about "pleasure marriages" or "short term marriages", Which verse are you referring to, exactly?

I'm no religious scholar, just relaying what appears in the news. Although apparently it is not news to many, but still argued over. You'll have to ask a true scholar to explain why some of these clerics appear to be doing what they are doing - even if it is totally illegal. People are apparently believing their nonsense since they are doing business. And of course prostitution happens all over the place - perhaps not sanctioned by clerics though.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You don't have to use Muta to do this, you can even use marriage and divorce. Anything can be misused.

And Quran gives mental guidance and maturity and prime age to be the age of marriage, so this can't be allowed by that.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Most might not be able to access this, but it deals with apparent 'Pleasure Marriages' in Iraq:

BBC iPlayer - Undercover with the Clerics: Iraq’s Secret Sex Trade

To summarise, undercover reporters posed as those seeking short-term marriages (often known as pleasure marriages, and lasting from hours to a day perhaps and then annulled) - which seemingly is ordained by some Islamic Clerics (for money) - and where the ages of any females can be nine years and above - as long as sexual activities were restricted. I won't go into the details but restricted hardly means what it should and most elsewhere would regard what happens as child rape - and prostitution - or simply child sexual abuse.

Any comments on this, and is it apparently allowed via the Qur'an - that is, temporary marriages?

There are various views on the issue of Nikah Misyar. Some scholars say it's permissible, some says it's not. Iwould have the see the video because you may have left out pertinent information but from what it sounds, it sounds like sex slave trade using the permissibility of Nikah Misyar. According to this guy in the following, Nikah Misyar is wrong and haram (forbidden):

Furthermore, Nikah Misyar is contractual and it's very detailed legally according to Shari'ah as per link (just scroll down):

What is Nikah Misyar, and is this kind of Marriage Permitted according to Shari’a? | daruliftaa.com

I really don't expect you to read it but it's a shot in the dark. But just in case you are curious to summarize it there were two specific parts in the link that I thought would be pertinent:

"So, the basic minimum requirement in order for a marriage to be considered Islamically valid is that there be a valid offer from one party and a corresponding acceptance from the other, in the presence of two male (or one male and two female) witnesses who are able to hear clearly and understand what is happening. The offer, acceptance and the presence of the witnesses must all take place in the same session and at the same place, and there must not be any explicit mention of the marriage being limited to a specified time. The consent of the woman’s guardian is also necessary according to the three Schools, and in some cases, according to the Hanafi School also. As for the payment of dowry (mahr), this is the woman’s right and should be stipulated at the time of the marriage contract, but it is not a pre-requisite for the validly of the marriage."

In regards to the appropriateness of Nikah Misyar:

"It is even worse in a situation where the man is only concerned about his own sexual desires and has no regard for his wife. He does not hesitate in marrying and divorcing women as and when he so desires. Some irresponsible men go on holidays to poor countries and marry young women by offering them money, riches and a lavish lifestyle, only to divorce them after a few weeks or months. They do this on a continuous basis, marrying women and then divorcing them, without any regard for the creation of Allah Most High. As a result, the wife finds herself abandoned and leading a solitary life as before the marriage, but traumatized by the experience, while her social status and reputation degraded. Harming and deceiving others are both great sins in the eyes of the Shari’a."

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Quran forbid Women to be used in prostitution. Muta is not a problem. People can do the same thing with marriage and just divorce the person instead.

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
That is the general rule, but the Sunnis are also guilty but generally far less then their Shiite Cousins.

When I studied Islamic studies at the university, we were visiting many mosques of different kinds. Both the Shi'ites and the Sunni representatives where very clear on this is specifically a Shi'ite practice. This question came up more than once.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It's one area of disagreement between Sunni and Shi'a.
Yes, I have been told that as well. According to what I learned, at that time there was considerable tension between Shia and Sunni in Brazil for that very reason.

Although I got the sense that it was perceived mostly as a loophole that that many youths used in order to engage in sex in a nominally Halal way. It is not like their families particularly approved.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The Quran forbid Women to be used in prostitution. Muta is not a problem. People can do the same thing with marriage and just divorce the person instead.
What is allowed by law (or Sharia) and cultural expectations may well be a problem regardless, and often is.

It is certainly valid worrisome for family and friends to be in some measure of worry for the emotional and sexual impact of youths that "marry" for just a few hours at a time, only for the thrill and sex, without any sort of serious consideration of plans for a life together or how to deal with it.

That it can be somewhat compared to extreme examples of non-Muslim behavior is entirely irrelevant and, frankly, does not reflect well on your argument. Of course abuse of Muta as a loophole is a problem. You seem to be attempting obfuscation as opposed to argumentation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This topic reminds me of the deontological perspective to ethics and of how poor it is.

I wonder how popular it truly is in Judaism, Islaam and Christianity.

It can't be all that hard for even many sincere believers to realize that a faith has lost its way when it discusses whether clear dangerous and immoral actions are valid according to "rules".

On the other hand, I assume that many people from within deontology-oriented communities who do in fact know better feel uninclined to discuss whether those rules are any good simply because it is such an interminable headache.

Even from an strictly monotheistic, authoritative, theistic perspective it is simply far better to adopt a consequentialist, or even virtue-oriented, approach towards ethics.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The reasons behind every law is explained in Quran, if people go against the very reasons explained and instead follow what it has in other verses forbidden, the problem is not the law, it's the people.

Baroodi

Most might not be able to access this, but it deals with apparent 'Pleasure Marriages' in Iraq:

BBC iPlayer - Undercover with the Clerics: Iraq’s Secret Sex Trade

To summarise, undercover reporters posed as those seeking short-term marriages (often known as pleasure marriages, and lasting from hours to a day perhaps and then annulled) - which seemingly is ordained by some Islamic Clerics (for money) - and where the ages of any females can be nine years and above - as long as sexual activities were restricted. I won't go into the details but restricted hardly means what it should and most elsewhere would regard what happens as child rape - and prostitution - or simply child sexual abuse.

Any comments on this, and is it apparently allowed via the Qur'an - that is, temporary marriages?

This type of marriage was repealed by Quran and prophet Muhammed, here are the pleas
1) In El nnor chapter verse 33 God says in Quran (Those who are unable to marry need to abide by chastity until God provide them from his grace)
2) Muslim (compiler of the prophet relics) narrated in his authentic book via Subra Eljuhni that: He was with the prophet (peace be upon him) when the prophet said: O people I allowed you to entertain with the women by wedding but now God prohibited this to the Last day (resurrection day) who ever have such a wife, need to divorce her without taking any thing already given to her.
3) Bukhari and Muslim both reported via Ali Bin Abi Talib: God Messenger prohibited on the day of Khaiber the entertainment wedding as well as eating donkeys meat.
3) Subra Eljuhni said: The prophet prohibited the entertainment wedding on the year of conquest (opening of Mecca) when we entered Mecca but before we get out of it we were prohibited to do it. Narrated by Muslim
4) Subra also narrated in Muslim book: The prophet prevented this wedding and said: It is prohibited from today to the last day. narrated by Muslim

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
By the way the title is misleading, Quran terms it something other then the category marriage, and like Imam Jaffar (as) proved, and commented on that verse "it's neither marriage nor fornication".

So it's more like halal dating with conditions to make sure child is taken care of hence is also like marriage: a form of an oath that gives authority to touch and have intercourse with women and women with men.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The reasons behind every law is explained in Quran, if people go against the very reasons explained and instead follow what it has in other verses forbidden, the problem is not the law, it's the people.
That is a traditional enough line. But surely you realize how weak it is.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They need to come to the proper guide who will manifest the wonders of the Quran, that guide is the Mahdi.

Till humans keep worshiping idols and blindly follow them in the name of following God, confusion and darkness keeps increasing.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
They need to come to the proper guide who will manifest the wonders of the Quran, that guide is the Mahdi.

Aren't you a Twelver? I thought you believe the Mahdi to be hidden.

Till humans keep worshiping idols and blindly follow them in the name of following God, confusion and darkness keeps increasing.
I actually agree. Although I think that you meant "while" instead of "Till".