• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please tell me stories about Kama and Rati

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste forum,

I am interested in learning about how "love / desire" is regarded in Hinduism, and I love stories. I'd appreciate somebody telling me some stories about Kama and Rati. All I know is that Shiva burned Kama to ashes, but I don't know about the where and why. Thanks for your replies.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Incineration by Shiva

"Kama-Dahana (Shiva Turns Kama to Ashes)
One of the principal myths regarding Kama is that of his incineration by Shiva, the Madana-bhasma (Kama Dahana). It occurs in its most developed form in the Matsya Purana, but is also repeated with variants in the Shiva Purana and other Puranas.

In the narrative, Indra and the gods are suffering at the hands of the demon Tarakasura who cannot be defeated except by Shiva's son. Brahma advises that Parvati should seduce Shiva, since their offspring would be able to defeat Taraka. Indra assigns Kamadeva to break Shiva's meditation. To create a congenial atmosphere, Kamadeva (Madana) creates an untimely spring (akāla-vasanta). He evades Shiva's guard, Nandin, by taking the form of the fragrant southern breeze, and enters Shiva's abode.

Kama with his two wives Rati (Indulgence) and Priti (Love).
After he awakens Shiva with a flower arrow, Shiva, furious, opens his third eye, which incinerates Madana instantaneously and he is turned into ash. However, Shiva observes Parvati and asks her how he can help her. She enjoins him to resuscitate Madana, and Shiva agrees to let Madana live but in a disembodied form; hence Kamadeva is also called Ananga (an- = without; anga = body, "bodiless"), or Atanu (a- = without; tanu = body). The spirit of love embodied by Kama is now disseminated across the cosmos: afflicting humanity with the creation of lust. Lord Shiva agrees with Mother Parvati's proposal and their union is consummated. Their son Kartikeya goes on to defeat Taraka.

Reincarnation as Krishna's son
The myth of Kamadeva's incineration is referenced in the Matsya Purana to reveal a relationship between Krishna and Kamadeva. In the narrative, Kama is reincarnated in the womb of Krishna's wife Rukmini as Pradyumna, after being burned to ashes by Shiva's anger."
Copy and paste from Kamadeva - Wikipedia

Kama_Rati.jpg
Rati and Kamadeva, Chennakesava temple.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"āyudhānām ahaṁ vajraṁ, dhenūnām asmi kāma-dhuk;
prajanaś cāsmi kandarpaḥ, sarpāṇām asmi vāsukiḥ"
BhagawadGita 10.28

Of weapons I am the thunderbolt; among cows I am the Kamadhenu*. Of causes for procreation I am Kandarpa, the god of love, and of serpents I am Vāsuki.

Kama dhenu: the mythological desire fulfilling cow.
Names of Kamadeva: Other names used in reference to Kamadeva are Manmatha (one who agitates, churner of hearts), Atanu (one without a body), Ragavrinta (stalk of passion), Ananga (incorporeal), Kandarpa (inflamer even of a god), Madana (intoxicating), Manasija (he who is born of mind, Ratikānta (lord of Rati), Pushpavān, Pushpadhanva, Kusumashara (one with arrow of flowers) and simply Kāma (desire; longing).