• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please stop disrespecting other believers

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a general debates section, and here many members are theists without being Abrahamic theists (Christians, Muslims, Jews). Yet many folk put "God" in thread title while only referring to the Abrahamic God. Nobody would do this if they were instead referring to God of Hinduism, Deism, Sikhism etc. I feel that this reflects an attitude that other faiths and beliefs don't matter.

If you feel that this is a fair criticism, I would request everybody to please specify whose God you are referring to when posting on the General section. Thank you.

Curious George

Veteran Member
This is a general debates section, and here many members are theists without being Abrahamic theists (Christians, Muslims, Jews). Yet many folk put "God" in thread title while only referring to the Abrahamic God. Nobody would do this if they were instead referring to God of Hinduism, Deism, Sikhism etc. I feel that this reflects an attitude that other faiths and beliefs don't matter.

If you feel that this is a fair criticism, I would request everybody to please specify whose God you are referring to when posting on the General section. Thank you.
Well to be clear when I say god does not exist that means no god, not even one, exists.

Although what you suggest does happen, please be aware that not all instances are such happenings.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Then again, should we care about such trifles?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To me God is One and religions are different viewpoints on the nature of the One God.
Yes, of course many threads are perfectly good and refers to a general God. Others are quite specific and are also quite OK. I am referring to those threads that talk about God and its quite clear from the OP that only the Abrahamic(and often the Christian) God is meant.. as if that is the only God and Bible is the only scripture.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I see what your trying to say. I'm thinking it's mostly demographic in nature as Christianity among the Abrahamic religions is one of the most familiar.

HekaMa'atRa

This is why I simply refer to the power that's greater than us as "The Divine", rather than God or Gods. The Divine is all encompassing and shouldn't marginalize any theists.

To which I would then say instead of:
To me God is One and religions are different viewpoints on the nature of the One God.

The Divine is a whole and religions are different viewpoints on the nature of The Divine. This Divinity is One and Many, depending on human interpretation of the Divine and the Divine's intent.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
This is a general debates section, and here many members are theists without being Abrahamic theists (Christians, Muslims, Jews). Yet many folk put "God" in thread title while only referring to the Abrahamic God. Nobody would do this if they were instead referring to God of Hinduism, Deism, Sikhism etc.
So what? Ignoring the mouse sitting in the corner of the living room and calling the elephant standing there, "that animal" isn't disrespecting the mouse. Seems you're looking at the freckle on your arm and expecting everyone to regard it as a wound.

I feel that this reflects an attitude that other faiths and beliefs don't matter.
And maybe in the context of what follows in the OP they don't.

LukeS

A problem is that different faiths conceive of different attributes of God. So the term in not interchangable.

The Holy Bottom Burp

It's a fair point, and I think Nowhere Man got it right;
I see what your trying to say. I'm thinking it's mostly demographic in nature as Christianity among the Abrahamic religions is one of the most familiar.

In most cases it is not an arrogant dismissal of others beliefs, it is just people who have grown up where the Abrahamic religions dominate, they are so deeply ingrained into the culture it is easy to forget that other theistic beliefs are out there.
For what it is worth I think the Eastern religions are more sophisticated and accepting than the Abrahamic religions (you can be an atheist and still belong to many of the variations, shocking!:eek:), but shedding cultural bias requires mental effort; introspection and intellectual honesty that many never even make an attempt at. They are happy in their bubble, and don't like someone coming along trying to burst it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a general debates section, and here many members are theists without being Abrahamic theists (Christians, Muslims, Jews). Yet many folk put "God" in thread title while only referring to the Abrahamic God.

Likely because that's the specific name they typically use for their god is "God" (yeah, I get that they have names like Yahweh, Father, Allah, etc., but God is the term most commonly used when speaking amongst themselves, and often with others, at least in the English language). As @The Holy Bottom Burp states above, they were raised like this, so it ingrained in their thought process.

Nobody would do this if they were instead referring to God of Hinduism, Deism, Sikhism etc.

I'm assuming you're using the term "nobody" because you've scoured the forum and has seen this has never happened with anyone but a follower of an Abrahamic religion. But I digress.

Generally speaking, many non-Abrahamic religions use specific names for their gods, for example, Vishnu, Shiva, Ik Onkar, Zeus, Dionysis, Cernunnos, Eris, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc., that they commonly use. If they wish to use "God" instead of the specific name for their particular deity, the alleged issue with ambiguity is on them.

I feel that this reflects an attitude that other faiths and beliefs don't matter.

For the many of the Abrahamic religions, they don't. They feel theirs is the One True God™. Did you consider asking them to be specific may be as disrespectful to their faith as you are alleging they are being to yours?

I don't. Many users here placed what religion they follow under "Religion" in their profile. If you're too lazy to glance to the right of their username or to ask which god to which they are referring, then perhaps you shouldn't bother reading the thread, much less bother posting in it to begin with.

This thread reminds me of people that complain about what they see on TV. FFS, if you don't like what you're seeing, change the freaking channel or just turn the dang thing off. Same concept applies to forums. If you don't like what you're reading, leave the page or turn off the computer. Don't expect everyone to conform to your personal standards.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member

Given you're in a religion that has an estimated 330 million gods and goddesses (or manifestations of Brahman), its not surprising you find this "one god" stuff annoying. :)

I admit I do it from time to time and use "god" or "religion" to mean the Abrahamic religions. Even as an Atheist, when you are discussing the existence of "god", you're talking about the Abrahamic one as its an inbuilt assumption in western culture. I will keep it in mind as there is a much larger cultural landscape outside of the Christianity and Islam.

There are an estimated 4,200 religions in the world, so it would be wrong to insult only two or three of them. that would be vindictive.

Any Scientologists up for discussing psychiatry? :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What if we aren't sure? Is it Yahweh? El? I'm so confused... :)
Other problems, the number, how many, male, female, neither male nor female, other gender.
All religions that know of a Supreme God, know He is ONE. Even within Hinduism, they have Scripture that points to a Single Supreme High GOD, ..
Hinduism comes in all shades, one God, 330 million God, no Gods, and various other factors mentioned above. As far as I know Allah/Yahweh is neither male nor female.
I don't suppose you have any empirical evidence of this...
Ah, asking for empirical evidence is blasphemy. Authoritative sources have delared, that is it.

Last edited: