• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Read - DIR Update and Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi everyone,

We now have a new process for gaining access to the DIR forums. In your profile you now have the option of choosing the DIR forum you would like access to. Members can only choose on DIR and once chosen, the selection can not be changed without staff approval.

Once you select your DIR, it may take up to an hour to have your account upgraded. If you wish to not wait, you can create a thread in the Site Feedback area and we will try to get your account upgraded as quickly as possible.

We are still working on the permissions at this moment but everyone can go ahead and go in and select their desired DIR forum right now.

If you have any issues, feel free to respond to this thread or open a thread in our Site Feedback area.

I would take pantheism out because many people who are pantheist are also of other religions. Panthiesm isn't a religion. Instead, I'd put Pagan religions so that people who believe in European pre-christian religions can talk among themselves. Neopagan isn't the same nor part of European Pagan traditions. Also, there are many on this forum, myself included, that don't have a "religious title." Do you want members to have religious titles?

I mean, I can't always ask staff permission to post in the atheist DIR one day, a neopagan another, and a Dharmic another.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I imagine the easiest way to allow this would be to create a sub dir titled "questions" that wasn't restricted in each dir. Whereas the best way would to create a sub dir, titled "questions" in each direction and only allow posters to post threads (not responses) limited to 25-50 words and have them pm dir members who had replied, if they need clarification.

That's a good idea. Maybe make it a bit easier and put "questions" and members can reply just as a regular DIR. It would restrict the natural responses questioners would like to have more questions about depending on the answer, though. Unless there is a clarification of how the interfaith forums are set up so if a person asks a question and gets a response, they can comment on that response rather than a question/comment conversation. That's weird to hear in person.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Having a fancy green name doesn't give your complaining any more merit or force the mods to bow down to your whim.

I have been Green before but did not buy lifetime, however that doesn't change anything.

I'm not saying that being a paying member gives me more merit, I'm saying that if I wanted to join a Setian only forum I would have applied to the ToS.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's some constructive feedback. This is not a solution for moderation challenges with members who can't respect the rules. I for one as a supporting member of this site fall into many categories, and spend time in multiple DIRs reading and posting as I identify with something there. I don't fit into just one religious category at all. I can't be siloed like that. I draw from mystical traditions, Christianity, Buddhism, and Hinduism, as well as atheism, as well as theism, etc. If I wanted a site that was exclusively one religion, I'd go there. But those do not interest me as they are too univocal.

What make RF a cut above all other forums I've ever seen is the fact that it is so OPEN to all faiths, coming together in the grandest experiment of a human faith community across multiple, widely diverse religions all getting along for the most part. I mention this site to many people as a wonderful example of what we can become as a global society, and in many regards need to become. To literally dismantle and destroy this because the challenges of moderating the few who aren't quite on board yet, is a horrible price to be paid. I would consider it almost a death-knell of RF of what is has stood for.

I was a moderator for many years at another site and know far too well what herding cats looks like at the challenges of it, but blocking entry except through "special permissions" really kills the spirit of free and open access, and those "protected" areas become rather stale in time, and people leave the site. I think you guys do a great job here, but this is a move in the wrong direction to solve a management issue.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I follow three major religions, Christianity, Buddhism and Taoism, and used to practice Islam, so I'm very knowledgeable on that, and yet the moderators told me I had to pick one religion and only post in that DIR, in fact they gave me a demerit for posting in a the Christian DIR, and then I had to prove I was a Christian!!, Bunch of rubbish this is, the idea of DIRs is to keep anti posters out of the discussion, not to keep knowledgeable people that practice multiple religions out of the discussion, or is it?? If it is it just sucks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Brent and moderators, I think this is a great idea. As it is, it remains frustrating for people in DIRs when you get irrelevant knee-jerk posts from people who don't identify with the DIR. (I've done it myself by error, and had to go delete it, on more than one occasion.) I feel sorry for the moderators, chronically cleaning up the mess. You guys do a great job.

This will not stop anyone from making a parallel type post in 'general discussion, debates, or several other places. I think people just forget some days that they can do that. Many people who start threads can opt to leave them out of the DIRs.

I do like the idea of a sub-forum for questions, but that has proved troublesome in the past as it can turn into a debate when people aren't really asking a legit question, but mere,y looking for a debate.

Thanks again for the great job.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
Namaste,
I'm having remarkably strong feelings about this new direction for RF. It might be in part because, even after reading the entire thread thus far, I still am not truly cognizant of the rationale behind the decision to implement this? What exactly is the problem for the moderators which would require such a throttling of free access and interaction with our entire community?

Is it that we, as users, are not helping you police bad behavior? Or are you getting so many abusers of the rules of the forums that it's a chore to moderate them? But isn't that the duty of the mods? (Just sayin'. Do you simply need more mods? Or perhaps you are too lenient with abusers? Why give a third chance? Give 'em the boot; the rules aren't difficult.) If that's not it, please help us understand the problem. We might be able to help you come up with a viable solution.

I realize I feel heated at the moment but I need to say this, hopefully gently because I really do respect and honor the work that both the mods and tech sides of the forum do, but someone else thinking they hold the rights to my expressing my views anywhere on the planet, or in any realm for that matter, let alone an internet forum--as long as I abide by the rules du jour taking into account time, place and audience, of course--is harboring a delusion of some serious magnitude.

If I need to seek permission from any of you to state my views here in any forum of the RF community, I will reluctantly abandon my beloved community. Don't know if my contributions serve anyone, but this? This idea is counter to adharma, counter to productive dialogue between the devotees of various "religions and belief systems" (a crying need of the day!). Religions don't talk to one another, learn from each other, dig for the nuggets of Truth which might be common to all, nuggets which could provide a platform on which to dialogue peace amongst all peoples . The devotees of religions do it and you are suggesting to limit that. As I said, IMO, this is adharma and I will never support it nor anything resembling it. Thank you for hearing me out.

Last edited:

Brent W

Resident Tech Guy
Everyone, our goal is not to throttle discussions or limit anyones voice. We are not going to rush into anything with this. All we have done so far is setup profile fields and are now looking at how we can use those along with a possible reorganization of the DIR forums to not only make it easier for staff to do their job but easier and more efficient for everyone to be able to post and have quality discussions within this area of the site.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
How do you propose to moderate people who practice and follow more than one religion or philosophy, Brent, I'm not talking about trouble makers trying to criticize in a DIR, but participate properly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I just scrolled down the first 40 'recent posts'. One out of that 40 was in a DIR. That says that by far most of the discussion here is outside any DIR. So that says some 95% of this forum is open to all, any time. I see no reason for anybody wishing a more open discussion to post it in a DIR. But there are some days when you just want to have a discussion with members of your own faith. It's like at home when Mom and Dad want to have a private discussion away from the children, or at a church or political arena where the people who are actually involved in decision making (i.e.. a board of trustees) needs to make a decision.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everyone, our goal is not to throttle discussions or limit anyones voice. We are not going to rush into anything with this. All we have done so far is setup profile fields and are now looking at how we can use those along with a possible reorganization of the DIR forums to not only make it easier for staff to do their job but easier and more efficient for everyone to be able to post and have quality discussions within this area of the site.
This is another sign of Trump's fascism!
We're losing our freedom to post!
Next you'll be sending our posts to the NSA!
I'm leaving the country!
I didn't pay good money only to be.....uh.....never mind.

Some thoughts.....
- I used to be allowed into the Buddhist DIR for friendly discussions. Could the "green" DIR system return?
- Will the system automatically deny us access to DIRs not ours?
- Will access to viewing only be allowed?
- Stop issuing infractions to posters who mistakenly post in the wrong DIR.
(I know that mods get paid according to the number of tickets they issue.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hi @Brent W ... after reading this far, I still can't quite tell if users MUST pick a Dir. So, do we have to pick a DIR?
I checked the options on my profile, & found no DIR I could possibly pick.
Apply loggical deduktion, I see that we're not required to select one.....yet.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this sort of combats the whole being able to ask respectful questions part of the DIR.

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I wanted to respond to this bit here. When we were doing revisions to Rule 10, we had considered making DIRs exclusive areas where respectful questions would not be permitted. There wasn't enough staff input for that change at that time, so we rolled out a Rule 10 that allowed respectful questions as usual. At the same time, we created the "Religions Q&A" subforum under "Interfaith Discussion" that was intended to be the space for those respectful questions. So there is an architecture in place for this now, and it allows any knowledgable members to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.