• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please, Mum and Dad..... I wanna be a floor scrubber!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've noticed than many of the workers deemed 'essential' these days do what might be considered menial jobs. Interesting that the essentials are paid much less than many of the non-essentials.
I still remember the garbage collector strike.

Those were the days.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Good point.
I don't get it really.... I would compare that to affording best seats at Chelsea football stadium, or Wimbledon, etc.... Those idiots cannot possibly have as good a view as folks with a 40"+ telly.

Imagine paying a cart-load of cash to get a good seat at a formula 1 or Indy-car race..... how in hell's sweet name can those folks get as good a view as me in my lounge, watching it all on screen?

It can only be about being seen....... the last thing on my agenda, that. :)
It probably makes sense to them - if the boss will risk his life then this must reassure others - even if they seem to have lost the message from history that it is not necessarily wise for leaders to do so. :oops:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It's in the heartland, a smattering of burned out factories in the middle of massive corn fields.
I've seen pictures of those fields at harvest time, I believe. Several combine harvesters working in unison in vast spaces .
You worked in agriculture. Did you ever drive machines like that?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Here in the US air frequency TV is free; the networks make their profit through advertising.
The BBC doesn't have advert breaks because it strips us of our cash to buy that licence.
I record all my favourite commercial telly programs so that I can streak past the ads. :)

amorphous_constellation

I've seen pictures of those fields at harvest time, I believe. Several combine harvesters working in unison in vast spaces .
You worked in agriculture. Did you ever drive machines like that?

Well, I have some experience with old tractors, atvs, snowmoblies.. and hay elevators even. I painted one john deere greene. And I've operated big horses, like those medieval breed ones for knights

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well, I have some experience with old tractors, atvs, snowmoblies.. and hay elevators even. I painted one john deere greene. And I've operated big horses, like those medieval breed ones for knights
You know machinery...no doubt about that.
And the big horses....when I was a kid some farmers still ploughed fields with a pair of huge horses. But that's well over half a century ago.

Jedster

For folks whose daughter is a brain surgeon at Kings College Hospital....... this ain't yer thread, OK?

This thread is for folks whose brats work at flippin'burgers, or in pig-sty clearance, drain clearing, floor scubbin', waste bin trucks, winda-cleanin' an' so forth.

Gentle readers, when I was a brat (a younger version of what I am now) a lot of posh blokes had a special 'tag' for girls that came from poorer backgrounds....... 'Scrubber!' they described such young women as. As you can expect, young gentlemen grew up to believe that they could bust almost any rules about conduct in connection with 'scrubbers'. Can you imagine how younger poorer women in everyday jobs got treated?

Of course there were kick-backs, and loud, brave, confident songs such as 'My ol' man's a dustman!' became famous and will now survive forever. Good!

These days I tend to grit my remaining teeth when I read member's telling us about their higher IQ's, or demeaning the intellectually disabled. For me, disparaging low intelligence is rather like making fun of paraplegics........ disgusting. Utterly filthy.

And so, now....... for fun....... please can I have your lists of jobs that were once looked down upon, but that now have lifted high as decent, good, working, earning, trying employments that are helping to keep people going, and paying their way.

My turn! Judge Judy (on telly) often tells layabout to 'collect cans'. In the UK we aren't allowed to collect cans for scrap unless we have a licence, but I remember when anybody could collect returnable bottles, or metal..... for spot cash. So that's my job.......... 'collectings cans!'

Onwards...............

This was a self-created job.
In the 1950s, I would scavenge beaches for abandoned coca-cola bottles, and then got a penny ha'penny back for the bottle. Made quite few quid that way.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
In the 1950s, I would scavenge beaches for abandoned coca-cola bottles, and then got a penny ha'penny back for the bottle. Made quite few quid that way.

I remember looking for empty lemonade bottles to get the deposit money back. That was in the "olden days", before they decided that using plastic bottles was a better idea. :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Brilliant!
A shilling for every 8 bottles, not bad.
I used to walk beaches with the sun ahead of me, looking for shining coins and jewellery. Early 60's. Some times it was rubbish, and then........ :)