• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please keep your negativity out of this thread

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Simpler? Far less ego!

Do you need help?

We are living in a very troubled world. Many people need help to cope with difficult personal problems.

Maybe you might like to post your problems and concerns. Then myself or other forum members could offer you some kindly advice and a few words of encouragement.

Many people have little or no emotional support in their darkest times. I was more fortunate than them. So I would like to do all I can in my own small way to help if I can.

Call me crazy but I really DO believe in the power of love to transform lives. I don't believe I am "special" in any way. I truly believe we all have the SAME potential. We just haven't yet worked out how most people can reach their FULL potential. But things may be slowly changing ...

I am certainly not arrogant enough to believe that I have ALL the answers! But I may be able to direct you to some very helpful books and Internet resources.

Where there is life there is hope. I am living proof that nobody is a hopeless case. I was a borderline Psychopath for many years. If you had suggested to me that one day I would get RIGHT into meditation and reading books like "The Power of Now" and treating everyone with kindness and compassion ... well ... I would have absolutely laughed in your face!

So please feel free to tell me anything. I promise you cannot POSSIBLY shock me! Whatever darkness you may be experiencing, I have experienced the same or much worse. I promise I won't judge you or anything like that.

If you feel like sharing your problems, I am all ears. Sometimes I am far more inspired and compassionate than at other times so don't expect "instant wisdom" all the time. I may need to dwell on your problem for a while until I can come up with a few recommendations.

Many people do not really love themselves nearly enough. It can be a major source of personal problems and unhappiness. This is an issue that I wrestled with for many years so I know just how frustrating & distressing it can be!

Here is a site that may help you -

Self-love and Acceptance with Lori Deschene from TinyBuddha.com (Part 1) - Becoming Who You Are

This is one of the better happiness sites I have found -

https://positivepsychlopedia.com/year-of-happy/

Anyway, I sincerely wish you all the very best and I look forward to some interesting replies!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Sep post!

It has been pointed out to me that this thread may be an unwise move - since this is an open forum anyone who reads this thread is free to offer their advice. Not all advice is terribly sound. So you may need to wade through a lot of "nonsense" to arrive at the good stuff.

I must admit - it SURE is a crucial and puzzling question - how does ANYONE ever decide what advice to follow? There are myriad points-of-view in this amazing and expanding universe. What makes my advice any better than anyone else's?

We all tend to believe that our way is the "right" way - no matter how many people may hold the opposite opinion/belief!

Maybe I am over-thinking this just a bit ...

So please be patient while I share a few more thoughts/doubts ...

Just who amongst us IS qualified to advise others? We are all flawed & imperfect. We all mess up from time to time. We are all evolving - it just seems that some of us are evolving a little faster than the rest.

Very few of us can manage to be kind & compassionate all-the-time.

Maybe I am totally delusional to assume that my experiences qualify me to advise other people who are in the same boat that I used to be in?

Just because I have experienced a rather miraculous transformation doesn't necessarily mean that I have the power to assist others to transform their lives.

I would say that MANY people are secretly yearning for a miraculous transformation to end their suffering.

So, I promise to give it my best shot if you tell me your problems!

Anyway ... if joy is any criterion, then I must be doin somethin right! It almost feels miraculous that I have been able to emerge from that darkness with most of my marbles!

My current experience is WAY beyond anything I would have dared dream possible at one stage!

I really do wish I could find a way to make my joy more contagious!

I won't lie to you - life can seem monstrously unfair to many people. I often wonder why I have been so blessed while many are suffering terribly. Maybe it is karma or something like that? Sometimes it mystifies me completely!

Anyways, enough philosophising. If you still trust me to advise you, feel free to ask me anything at all. I can't necessarily guarantee you a similar miracle but you just never know what can happen in this life!

In the meantime, I sincerely wish you true peace of mind and every happiness - no matter how far away they may seem from your current predicament!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Some possible replies? - read carefully ...

Then!!!!! - to actually help people with tough problems! - a little nervous but these may help!!! -

Tiny Buddha articles!

Tolle and Marci! Plus books2.htm - yes!

Tiny Buddha love self search! - is that in kind2.htm?

Trust me - where there's life there's hope. I used to be as angry and cynical as anyone on this planet!

Schizophrenia at its worst is an abolute masterclass in suffering!

I must confess that I am not feeling particularly inspired just at the moment. It can be frustratingly elusive at times. So you will need to be patient. I promise I will give your problem very careful consideration and I will get back to you with my recommendations.

In the meantime - happy?

Tolle youtube!

Who else? - Pema - plus her site!

Dalai and Ricard ... toooo much?

Feel perfectly free to tell me anything. I promise you won't shock me! I may not have walked in your shoes but I can assure you that I know the dark side of human nature more intimately than your average human being!

Borderline?

I sincerely hope you are able to find some peace of mind and serenity. Hang in there!

Can you help me thread - many wise and experienced souls post to this forum. You never know how they may be able to advise you.

Ann Albers!

Lorna Byrne - youtube?

I really do believe in the power of love to transform people's lives. But I was not ALWAYS so positive - far from it!

Tiny compassion? Plus love self ...

Then!!?? -

TOO naive? There ARE some seriously misguided people at the forum and in this world

And it occurs to me! - Even calling someone "misguided" is a judgement!

Plus - even "only criterion" of a healthy belief system - kinda implies that anyone who holds a different opinion is foolish or misguided!?

See watched = improve forum?

Pity if I do not? - I was alllll fired up and I DO have some terrific advice!

You'll have to be patient with me - I guess I am still evolving!

You might just think a little differently if you had experienced what I have experienced.

People talk about the long, dark night of the soul. Well ... mine was VERY long and VERY dark!

I am living proof that love can perform miracles - nobody is more amazed than me to even be saying such things!

I used to truly believe that all normal people were spineless & dishonest and they deserve to be hit with axe!

Loads more in Twyman - dark side too?

Chicken soup miracles - amazon? - or search site - chickensoup.com miracle

One story of miracles!

BEST of all!!??? - thread on has a book ever changed your life - add dozens?

Has a book ever changed your life?

Believe me, I know ALL about the dark-side of human experience!

I used to believe that love was merely a delusion - and a pretty lame one at that! I used to believe that all normal people were so spineless & dishonest that they deserved to be hit with an axe. At times my rage was so intense it bordered on insanity! It is hard for me to imagine a darker experience.

So, I am living proof that nobody is a "hopeless" case!

I truly believe that we ALL have exactly the same potential for love & happiness. As a society we haven't yet found a way to help most people experience their full potential. That is why this world closely resembles a lunatic asylum at present. Hopefully things may be slowly changing but in the meantime many people feel very frustrated and confused.

I have read MANY books over the years - some more helpful than others -

Link to books thread!

Pathway to happiness?! - voice in head - google?

Learning to love yourself can be a very tricky business. It SURE was for me! Many people struggle with it. Hope this helps - if not I do have more suggestions ...

Tiny Buddha’s Guide to Loving Yourself Hannah Braime

This is also amongst the results - an interview with Lori -

Self-love and Acceptance with Lori Deschene

Plus loads more in marc.htm!!! -

A Most Difficult Lesson: People Are Just Doing Their Best - Tiny Buddha

Keeps coming ... tooooo much!??

If I had to sum up my current beliefs in a single sentence, I would say that if you wish 2 experience genuine, lasting happiness you could try treating your fellow human beings with kindness & compassion.

Or! Leunig quote!

You just never know your luck in this life - some of their advice may be almost as good as mine :)

Patience quotes? - fully!

Personal growth can be very tricky. Sometimes fundamental change can happen relatively quickly but usually it requires time and effort to change your outlook. So, you may need to exercise patience.

Personal growth patience?

Tiny Buddha uncomfortable feelings

Many people meditate for years in their quest for enlightenment. Enlightenment is a state where you no longer experience emotional negativity. Sounds wonderful doesn't it! It's rare but not beyond reach - I truly believe we all are born with the same potential for enlightenment.

There are stories of people becoming "instantly" enlightened so you just never know your luck in this life!

Find happiness by embracing all of your emotions

More!!! ...

Depression youtube!?

I really do wish I could provide you with a moment-by-moment account of how my experiences were transfromed from being an absolute nightmare to being unspeakably wonderful.

My transformation may be rare but it is not unique by any means.

Nobody is MORE amazed than I am! If you want more inspirational stories - try this site -

Chicken soup for the soul

No end in sight!! ... paste in from library -

More possible replies? -

quotes, quotations and passages on love - you forget!!!

Vivekananda love quotes

Rashanna?

Oh, I have similar doubts myself, believe me! I may turn out to be lousy at giving advice to troubled souls despite my best intentions ...

Without compassion, your relationships are likely to be stressful & difficult. That was certainly my experience before I started consciously cultivating compassion.

The world as it currently is closely resembles an absolute lunatic asylum precisely because most people are nowhere NEAR as compassionate as they could potentially be.

Then Zen habits!?

How to stop negative self talk

Came from youtube marci shimoff - quite a few - includes miracles show?!

Youtube depression - quite a few look worthy ...

Thought there was more ...

Transform your life love?

Some people are simply more challenging to love. Challenges make life interesting and meaningful.

No end in sight? ...

Human potential love? - no idea what may turn up?

mindful.org (unconditional) love

Mindfulness unconditional love

evelynlim.com love - her services?

Well being alignment? - love self? Plus others?

Wishing you all the best!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Logging off?

Sadly, I must log-off this computer very soon.

I ought to be back online this time tomorrow all going well.

In the meantime, here's a few sites you may find helpful -

I'm a HUGE believer in compassion - a far-cry from the way I used to think! -

A Guide to Cultivating Compassion in Your Life, With 7 Practices : zen habits

21 Habits of Happy People | PickTheBrain | Motivation and Self Improvement

Tiny Buddha’s Guide to Loving Yourself Interview: Hannah Braime

Dealing with Uncomfortable Feelings & Creating Positive Ones

Self-Compassion Opens The Door To Self-Healing

It’s Not Mindfulness Without Kindness

101 Ways to Love Your Life

depression - YouTube

marci shimoff - YouTube

Kindness Archives - Tiny Buddha

Fun & Inspiring Archives - Tiny Buddha

lorna byrne - YouTube

I have loads more but that is plenty for the moment ...

Wishing you ALL the very best!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Some possible replies? - read carefully ...

Then!!!!! - to actually help people with tough problems! - a little nervous but these may help!!! -

Tiny Buddha articles!

Tolle and Marci! Plus books2.htm - yes!

Tiny Buddha love self search! - is that in kind2.htm?

Trust me - where there's life there's hope. I used to be as angry and cynical as anyone on this planet!

Schizophrenia at its worst is an abolute masterclass in suffering!

I must confess that I am not feeling particularly inspired just at the moment. It can be frustratingly elusive at times. So you will need to be patient. I promise I will give your problem very careful consideration and I will get back to you with my recommendations.

In the meantime - happy?

Tolle youtube!

Who else? - Pema - plus her site!

Dalai and Ricard ... toooo much?

Feel perfectly free to tell me anything. I promise you won't shock me! I may not have walked in your shoes but I can assure you that I know the dark side of human nature more intimately than your average human being!

Borderline?

I sincerely hope you are able to find some peace of mind and serenity. Hang in there!

Can you help me thread - many wise and experienced souls post to this forum. You never know how they may be able to advise you.

Ann Albers!

Lorna Byrne - youtube?

I really do believe in the power of love to transform people's lives. But I was not ALWAYS so positive - far from it!

Tiny compassion? Plus love self ...

Then!!?? -

TOO naive? There ARE some seriously misguided people at the forum and in this world

And it occurs to me! - Even calling someone "misguided" is a judgement!

Plus - even "only criterion" of a healthy belief system - kinda implies that anyone who holds a different opinion is foolish or misguided!?

See watched = improve forum?

Pity if I do not? - I was alllll fired up and I DO have some terrific advice!

You'll have to be patient with me - I guess I am still evolving!

You might just think a little differently if you had experienced what I have experienced.

People talk about the long, dark night of the soul. Well ... mine was VERY long and VERY dark!

I am living proof that love can perform miracles - nobody is more amazed than me to even be saying such things!

I used to truly believe that all normal people were spineless & dishonest and they deserve to be hit with axe!

Loads more in Twyman - dark side too?

Chicken soup miracles - amazon? - or search site - chickensoup.com miracle

One story of miracles!

BEST of all!!??? - thread on has a book ever changed your life - add dozens?

Has a book ever changed your life?

Believe me, I know ALL about the dark-side of human experience!

I used to believe that love was merely a delusion - and a pretty lame one at that! I used to believe that all normal people were so spineless & dishonest that they deserved to be hit with an axe. At times my rage was so intense it bordered on insanity! It is hard for me to imagine a darker experience.

So, I am living proof that nobody is a "hopeless" case!

I truly believe that we ALL have exactly the same potential for love & happiness. As a society we haven't yet found a way to help most people experience their full potential. That is why this world closely resembles a lunatic asylum at present. Hopefully things may be slowly changing but in the meantime many people feel very frustrated and confused.

I have read MANY books over the years - some more helpful than others -

Link to books thread!

Pathway to happiness?! - voice in head - google?

Learning to love yourself can be a very tricky business. It SURE was for me! Many people struggle with it. Hope this helps - if not I do have more suggestions ...

Tiny Buddha’s Guide to Loving Yourself Hannah Braime

This is also amongst the results - an interview with Lori -

Self-love and Acceptance with Lori Deschene

Plus loads more in marc.htm!!! -

A Most Difficult Lesson: People Are Just Doing Their Best - Tiny Buddha

Keeps coming ... tooooo much!??

If I had to sum up my current beliefs in a single sentence, I would say that if you wish 2 experience genuine, lasting happiness you could try treating your fellow human beings with kindness & compassion.

Or! Leunig quote!

You just never know your luck in this life - some of their advice may be almost as good as mine :)

Patience quotes? - fully!

Personal growth can be very tricky. Sometimes fundamental change can happen relatively quickly but usually it requires time and effort to change your outlook. So, you may need to exercise patience.

Personal growth patience?

Tiny Buddha uncomfortable feelings

Many people meditate for years in their quest for enlightenment. Enlightenment is a state where you no longer experience emotional negativity. Sounds wonderful doesn't it! It's rare but not beyond reach - I truly believe we all are born with the same potential for enlightenment.

There are stories of people becoming "instantly" enlightened so you just never know your luck in this life!

Find happiness by embracing all of your emotions

More!!! ...

Depression youtube!?

I really do wish I could provide you with a moment-by-moment account of how my experiences were transfromed from being an absolute nightmare to being unspeakably wonderful.

My transformation may be rare but it is not unique by any means.

Nobody is MORE amazed than I am! If you want more inspirational stories - try this site -

Chicken soup for the soul

No end in sight!! ... paste in from library -

More possible replies? -

quotes, quotations and passages on love - you forget!!!

Vivekananda love quotes

Rashanna?

Oh, I have similar doubts myself, believe me! I may turn out to be lousy at giving advice to troubled souls despite my best intentions ...

Without compassion, your relationships are likely to be stressful & difficult. That was certainly my experience before I started consciously cultivating compassion.

The world as it currently is closely resembles an absolute lunatic asylum precisely because most people are nowhere NEAR as compassionate as they could potentially be.

Then Zen habits!?

How to stop negative self talk

Came from youtube marci shimoff - quite a few - includes miracles show?!

Youtube depression - quite a few look worthy ...

Thought there was more ...

Transform your life love?

Some people are simply more challenging to love. Challenges make life interesting and meaningful.

No end in sight? ...

Human potential love? - no idea what may turn up?

mindful.org (unconditional) love

Mindfulness unconditional love

evelynlim.com love - her services?

Well being alignment? - love self? Plus others?

I guess only time will tell if my advice is unrealistic or not even if I do have the best of intentions.

But then my life has been unrealistic. It is extremely unrealistic to expect that a borderline psychopath will evolve into a truly compassionate and joyful individual. That has been my experience - it still mystifies me ...

Maybe in my next life I will become a therapist. :)

Wishing you all the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Did it ... now keep adding thoughts/sites/books??

Plus this for new threads - regular?

Do you have any personal problems?

If so, you may like to check-out this old thread -

Do you need help?

Or we could start a new thread - it's entirely up to you - I am very flexible!

I should point out at the start that I am NOT a qualified therapist by any means. However, I have read a LOT of helpful books and websites over my life's journey.

So I may be able to be of some assistance - that's my hope anyway.

For example, here is a site that may be of some benefit if you are currently struggling with negative thoughts about yourself. Hope it helps -

Self-Compassion Opens The Door To Self-Healing

Anyway, feel free to raise anything - you won't shock me at all - I am probably more intimately aware of the dark side of human experience than your average man-in-the-street.

Wishing you every happiness even if you don't feel like posting ...

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Possible post to thread -

I have read MANY helpful books over my life's journey. Some better than others.

One book I can highly recommend is "Happy for no reason" by Marci Shimoff.

Happiness may seem like an impossible dream for some of you right now. I know what that feels like, believe me. But change is possible - sometimes change can be relatively rapid but usually it takes time & effort & patience. Things can be frustrating when change happens slowly but it is possible.

Basically, the book is a step-by-step guide to changing your habits in every area of your life. You may not regard your thinking as habitual but negative thinking is nothing more than a bad habit that can be changed. That is what meditation and mindfulness are all about - disciplining the mind.

I never thought I would EVER be the type of person to practice meditation so you never know what might happen in your life!

Changing your thoughts is just one of the seven chapters in the book. Each chapter includes three inspiring stories about how people were able to transform their experience from misery to joy. I have read this book several times and I find it most helpful. Hopefully you will also benefit from reading it and practicing the suggestions.

If you don't fancy purchasing the book, you can find Marci on YouTube -

marci shimoff - YouTube

Here's another of her books -

Interview and Giveaway: Love for No Reason by Marci Shimoff

I sincerely wish you all the best!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
For the helping people thread! -

Here's one book I may checkout - I do believe in miracles after all ...

Miracles and More | Chicken Soup for the Soul

Many many sites from negativ thread could go into helping people!

Another author I can highly recommend is Pema Chodron.

She encourages people to treat themselves gently and with a little more kindness and compassion.

If you want a good taste of her writing, try this site -

Articles

Best wishes!

"Chicken soup for the soul" is a series of books that many people find inspirational and enjoyable. I only have one out of the dozens available and I would definitely recommend it.

If you want to get some idea of the kinds of stories they publish, try this site -

Search | Chicken Soup for the Soul

Also checkout their menus at the top of the page!

Cheers!

Gratitude exercises search plus Tiny search!

Loads in marc.htm and obviously happy.htm ...

Lorne review

Shadow - paste? - here it is -

What is the Shadow?

The shadow contains all the parts of ourselves that we try to hide, deny or suppress. It is the keeper of all the aspects of ourselves that we dislike and the qualities that we judge as unacceptable. The shadow wears many faces: angry, critical, fearful, lazy, controlling, selfish, weak, pathetic… These are the faces we don’t want to show the world and the faces we don’t want to show ourselves. Most of us expend huge amounts of energy trying to get rid of or control these unwanted aspects of ourselves. We hope that by hiding or fixing our "bad qualities" we will have the peace, success and happiness we desire. Most of us are convinced that we are flawed and inadequate so we become masters of disguise, and go to great lengths to hide our bad qualities from those around us – even from ourselves.

The result of turning our backs on our dark side? A life that slips by only half lived. Dreams that are never realized, or worse, that lay buried under years of resignation and shame. Until we make peace with our shadow we will continue to be at war with ourselves. And our outer world will mirror our inner struggle. What we resist persists – and we will create and attract from others that which we most dislike in ourselves. Until we feel authentic compassion for each and every aspect of ourselves, we will continue to draw forth people and events that will mirror the negative feelings we have about ourselves. Until we take back our power and forgive ourselves for being human we will attract people who push our buttons and reactivate our emotional wounds. And until we find the courage to love ourselves completely, we will never truly be able to experience the love from those around us. We don’t need to guess how we really feel about ourselves at the deepest level. All we have to do is look at how the outer
world treats us. If we’re not getting the respect, love and appreciation we desire from the outer world, it’s more than likely we aren’t giving these things to ourselves. This is the benevolence of the Universe in action. The whole world is a mirror of our own consciousness, and when we make peace with the disowned aspects of ourselves, we make peace with the world.

Try this site for more on the shadow -

Shadow Work - Spiritual Growth Articles

mindful.org anger!

Plus more from books2? - three christs

Lorna plus YouTube - not everyone believes in angels ...

Leunig depression plus local cartoonist plus youtube depression and can't vouch but never know your luck ...

For the love thread -

lovethy

plus twyman excerpt - done! - march 7

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Check if still valid! think!

For those of you who struggle with depression

Depression is a major problem for many people.

There's a fair few sites on the web that offer help/advice.

Found this quote somewhere in cyberspace recently:

If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather. Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.

Here's a little sample -

First off, you can find loads of videos at youtube - I cannot vouch for all their advice but you never know your luck - you may discover something helpful.

depression - YouTube

Coping with Depression: Tips for Overcoming Depression One Step at a Time

Best of 2015: GoodTherapy.org’s Top 10 Websites for Help with Depression

Best of 2012: GoodTherapy.org’s Top 10 Websites for Depression

Are You Feeling Suicidal? How to Deal with Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings and Overcome the Pain

All that I am, all that I ever was...

http://thereseborchard.com/2017/09/13/what-i-wish-people-knew-about-depression-3/

Depression quotes?

I Want to Tell You About Coming Apart and Struggling Through Depression

Dealing with Depression: 10 Ways to Feel Positive and Peaceful

I sincerely wish you all the best and hope I may have helped in some small way!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
For that love thread -

Quotes and sites in our quotes thread - a huge variety ...

Plus Swami Vivekananda and brainy and tiny and leunig quote ...

Then wisdom commons - suzy kassem has a few! see number 1328 in quotes thread ...

Love | Wisdom Commons

Or search suzy kassem love?

BOY! She has a site - who doesn't these days -

Quotes by Suzy Kassem

Dozens of quotes!

Cheers!

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
how does ANYONE ever decide what advice to follow? There are myriad points-of-view in this amazing and expanding universe. What makes my advice any better than anyone else's?

I know of only one good way to decide - to consider the advice in the light of my highest and best understanding. If I feel there's something not useful in the advice, I won't follow it. Actually, sometimes I also check advice with someone else to get more feedback because I can deceive myself.

That we should no longer think of anyone as "them". That love should stop being an unacceptable idea and become how we relate always. That generosity of spirit underpin decision making.

Amen

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I know of only one good way to decide - to consider the advice in the light of my highest and best understanding. If I feel there's something not useful in the advice, I won't follow it. Actually, sometimes I also check advice with someone else to get more feedback because I can deceive myself.

Thanks for the reply - I was mainly worried about how "qualified" I am to give ANY advice ... all I really know is what works for me - and I do tend to get a little "evangelical" at times!

It's one of my adorable quirks :)

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Been a while :)

f529232afbd1589bcfbf6925570365ff.jpg

More here -

The Secret and More™ on

Al the best!