• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please help me!

jamesb

Hello. I am posting this thread as I need some help from a JW. I am a christian and my girlfriend is a JW. I would be very grateful if anyone could supply me with the following information;
1)She insists on us being together for atleast 6 years before we get married, is this a belief of JW's?
2)she believes we cannot move in together until we are definitley going to get married, this means I have to wait several years more even though I am ready now.
3)Is it acceptable for a JW to marry someone of another faith(ie christian)?
I would be very grateful for any help on this because I really love this girl, I am just slightly confused by what she tells me:confused:
Thankyou:) :) :)

Qumran

jamesb said:
1)She insists on us being together for atleast 6 years before we get married, is this a belief of JW's?
There is no specific year requirement with regard to WHEN a couple may marry. I suspect it is she who is stipulating 6 years - Not JW's.

jamesb said:
2)she believes we cannot move in together until we are definitley going to get married, this means I have to wait several years more even though I am ready now.
From the official JW point of view, a couple is not supposed to live together as a couple BEFORE marriage. Period. Even engaged couples are not permitted to live together (having sexual relations/romantically). Marriage is required FIRST (sorry dude :( .) Again, it appears as though your lady is not requiring strict adherance to JW philosophy so much as letting you know what HER rules are. If she truly believes the Society teaches these things, she should discuss it with the elders or write the Watchtower Society.

jamesb said:
1)3)Is it acceptable for a JW to marry someone of another faith(ie christian)?
Acceptable?...yes but VERY MUCH frowned upon. Attitudes have become slightly less rigid over the last 30 years, but she will be cautioned as to the "pitfals and dangers" of marrying an "outsider."

:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Jamesb,

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, but as I noticed this was your first post on this forum, I thought I would take the opportunity to welcome you here.

perhaps you might like to post ans introduction to the other members of the forum by posting on:- Are you new to ReligiousForums.com? (just a few details about yourself),
and I look forward to seeing your posts on the forum.

I do hope you resolve your problem, and I would like to offer you my best wishes.;)

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm not JW, but I can answer these things for you pretty accurately.

jamesb said:
Hello. I am posting this thread as I need some help from a JW. I am a christian and my girlfriend is a JW. I would be very grateful if anyone could supply me with the following information;
No.
jamesb said:
I think most JWs would think you shouldn't move in together until you actually are married, so she's pretty liberal in that regard.
jamesb said:
3)Is it acceptable for a JW to marry someone of another faith(ie christian)?
I know it's frowned upon.

Qumran

Aqualung said:
Oops. I didn't see that a former JW already posted the answers. Sorry Qumran!
:) Never a problem Aqualung.... your answers were just as accurate as mine and a HELL of a lot shorter! I was a JW for a Loooong time...not anymore though.. (Yippeee :bounce )