• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Explain: Why is the Dogma that Sex Must be for Procreation an Intelligent View of Sex?

Wasp

It's called and e d u c a t i o n. Those who have a good one do not refer to it as "nonsense" -- only those who have a ****ty one call what they have "nonsense". What do you call yours? Oh wait! You just now told me.
What is this good education? Never heard of it.

No, sex obviously serves humans in creating a strong bond between a man and a woman. In fact I'm quite certain it does the same for many animals.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sex has many purposes. It relieves tension, lowers blood pressure, burns a few calories, brings folks closer together, and reminds us we are grunting sweaty mammals no matter how many ties we put on and utensils we use to eat...

...just realized why some religious folks may want to restrict its usage!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
How about because, no matter what other pleasure or purpose you might get out of it, it's for procreation?.

Isn't everything about procreation, then? We eat to sustain our bodies so that we may live long enough to reproduce them. We avoid pain for the same reason. We love so that we may draw people together to better survive as a community.

Our biological wants and needs are all there to help us survive and pass on our genetics.

But that is only one paradigm. We are also individuals who feel pain and pleasure and create meaningful associations so that our lives may be experienced to the fullest. I eat when I am not hungry sometimes because food is comforting and delicious. I have sex without the goal of pregnancy in order to express love and closeness as well as experience the intense pleasure that comes with it. I masturbate to relieve tension or help me sleep as well as just because it feels good.

dianaiad

Until you grasp that your post is one sustained, muddled, ridiculous naturalistic fallacy, you are worth not a moment more of my time -- nor shall you get any.

Well, I'm back from a week of radiation treatments, to see this little gem....

I have found that those who, first, indulge in ad hominems about a post, rather than comment upon the contents, then second, continue the insult by saying that s/he is going to take his/her toys and leave the playground, do so because they lost the argument.

And know it.

dianaiad

Sex has many purposes. It relieves tension, lowers blood pressure, burns a few calories, brings folks closer together, and reminds us we are grunting sweaty mammals no matter how many ties we put on and utensils we use to eat...

...just realized why some religious folks may want to restrict its usage!

And you are quite right. Sex does all those things. Now...why is it important that those things get addressed/taken care of?

According to evolutionists, it's because all those things (especially bringing folks closer together) ensure that those folks stick around to raise the babies.

dianaiad

Isn't everything about procreation, then? We eat to sustain our bodies so that we may live long enough to reproduce them. We avoid pain for the same reason. We love so that we may draw people together to better survive as a community.

Our biological wants and needs are all there to help us survive and pass on our genetics.

According to evolutionists, pretty much yes. Do you have a problem with this?

But that is only one paradigm. We are also individuals who feel pain and pleasure and create meaningful associations so that our lives may be experienced to the fullest. I eat when I am not hungry sometimes because food is comforting and delicious. I have sex without the goal of pregnancy in order to express love and closeness as well as experience the intense pleasure that comes with it. I masturbate to relieve tension or help me sleep as well as just because it feels good.

(shrug)

Look, I don't care why you have sex. I'm simply saying that all the reasons for having sex boil down to...keeping folks together and willing to have more sex so that the kids are safer and healther....and so that they actually show up.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
According to evolutionists, pretty much yes. Do you have a problem with this?

(shrug)

Look, I don't care why you have sex. I'm simply saying that all the reasons for having sex boil down to...keeping folks together and willing to have more sex so that the kids are safer and healther....and so that they actually show up.

Right, and I am saying everything boils down to the continuation of the species. But as an individual, I simply live and eat when I am hungry, sleep when I am tired, release when I am horny. This is despite whether I reproduce or not.

dianaiad

Right, and I am saying everything boils down to the continuation of the species. But as an individual, I simply live and eat when I am hungry, sleep when I am tired, release when I am horny. This is despite whether I reproduce or not.
OK.

but you are doing it in spite of its purpuse. makeing bets with the universe that THIS time won't cause harm/difficulties.

when one as sex in the full realization of what its for, accepting the possibilities and willing to embrace those possibilities, one will enjoy it more, and allow that enjoyment free of worry about what it's for..