• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please explain the concept of Hell

RamaRaksha

Can someone please take a stab at explaining the sick concept of Hell to me? If you read about what the likes of Hitler, Stalin, or Saddam Husain did to their detractors and realize that is exactly what this so-called god does to those who may disagree with him, it can make you pretty sick.

Would a Mahatma Gandhi ever run a torture chamber for his enemies? Or a Nelson Mandela or a Mother Teresa? Never. And whose side is god on? God has more in common with the likes of Saddam?

Or the Taliban? How many have watched the poor young woman being held down and whiplashed across her back while she cried for mercy? God uses such crude and brutal methods?

And how exactly does this work? There was one time when I was a child and this "teacher" was trying to explain this math problem to us and no matter how much he tried he could not reach us. Exasperated, he finally took his cane and gave each of us a good lashing across our backs. Were we supposed to be suddenly enlightened because of the lashing? Or was this "teacher" simply working out his frustrations on the innocent?

Let's take an example: Say you think Abortion should be allowed and a woman free to choose. You die and God says you are wrong. You are sent to hell and tortured. A few whiplashes and some pokes with a hot poker and then you realize that you are wrong? But there is no escape - you are there till eternity! You are going to be tortured forever!

It makes no sense - it is pure nonsense. Hell makes no sense, so we must discard Heaven also - how can we let the likes of Hitler, Stalin and Saddam waltz into heaven? No Hell, No heaven, so then was God made up too?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This subject has been done to death. It boils down to believers and non-believers. God does not have to justify anything to non-believers. What I don't understand is why non-believers give a rats butt about the concept of hell, unless they have a doubt or two on the subject of an after life.

imaginaryme

So? Let's do it some more. :p

I say that hell does not exist outside the brain. It is a temporal dislocation brought about by the transition from sequential time to eternity. That last moment can stretch out to seem like forever (like waiting in line at the DMV); and if one's consciousness is not best pleased with one's deeds in this life - it takes the opportunity to play a horror movie.

Like it says in the Koran - one's own soul will drag one down. But eternal punishment is absurd and - well, blatantly, a waste of consciousness. Ain't happening. God's a conservative. :D

John D

Spiritsurfer
This subject has been done to death. It boils down to believers and non-believers. God does not have to justify anything to non-believers. What I don't understand is why non-believers give a rats butt about the concept of hell, unless they have a doubt or two on the subject of an after life.

Yep !

RamaRaksha

Sounds like you are uncomfortable with this concept of Hell and can find no way to justify it. It is a sick concept and you know it.

Followers of David Koresh and the Terrorist thought they were following God's orders while subjugating their conscience. Follow Truth and disregard God and you get both, follow God and disregard Truth and you get neither.

John D

Spiritsurfer
Looks like christians don't want to touch this subject, lol. But let's do threaten non-followers with what's waiting for them.

Being religious(..any religion) is to stand on the front porch of hell. It immediatly creates a "us" and "them" situation.
I know that you are trying to get christians to go into battle with you. That, my friend, is creating the very hell you don't want to acknowledge. The tonque of man is the very flame that ignites hell.
True Christian believers don't care about hell, it doesn't concern them.They are busy with LIFE and their special relationship with their Father. Because a true believer becomes a son and part of a family and has come home.We don't have a God that we are afraid of, we have a Father that we can talk to, we can love and a Father from whom we can learn. That is true Christianity.
Now .....becoming a religious dude or worse a - fanatic has nothing to do with our Father God and the rest of His family. It is in essence the worshipping of a system of rules,symbols and rituals and the control mechanism is FEAR. Fear installed for: "us" and "them" and God and then for good measure the Devil !

Don't confuse the Children of God with the people from the tradition or culture of Christianity. We are not the same.
Yes.. There is a Hell. A Burning hell eating humansouls by the millions. A place were hatred dwells and where your brother is your enemy.A place with no rest and no peace, a place where you will gnaw on you tonque out of hatred and fear.a Place without God.
It is a place created by religion and kept burning by religious morons allways looking for a fight.

And NOw, paradise......!

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
I've always wondered: woudn't hell be much more scary if it was personalized?

I mean, it's supposed to be a general scary concept, but what if you skip that and go straight for the gonads? Example: New hell would be the thing you've feared your whole life, multiplied to the googleplex and topped off with Sarah Palin to make sure it's hellish. It's like when you watch scary movies and that psychological scare stays with you. Everytime you're afraid of something, you're going to think to yourself, holy crap this is what my hell is going to be, I better go to church on Sunday or pay extra on my tithe this month.

If we want to keep it general, I suggest more modern versions of hell. How about non-stop kidney stones for guys in hell? And un-ending births for women? Too much?

Last edited:

Amill

Apikoros
The concept is absurd, if a god really did let a heaven/hell scenario play out there's no point in even telling people on earth unless he's trying to scare them. I mean, wouldn't god know if someone was only being good or only believing because they were too frightened to live a different way? Makes no sense to me, sounds like an idea man would come up with. Fear and demoralization are two of the best tools of control.

RamaRaksha

Being religious(..any religion) is to stand on the front porch of hell. It immediatly creates a "us" and "them" situation.
I know that you are trying to get christians to go into battle with you. That, my friend, is creating the very hell you don't want to acknowledge. The tonque of man is the very flame that ignites hell.
True Christian believers don't care about hell, it doesn't concern them.They are busy with LIFE and their special relationship with their Father. Because a true believer becomes a son and part of a family and has come home.We don't have a God that we are afraid of, we have a Father that we can talk to, we can love and a Father from whom we can learn. That is true Christianity.
Now .....becoming a religious dude or worse a - fanatic has nothing to do with our Father God and the rest of His family. It is in essence the worshipping of a system of rules,symbols and rituals and the control mechanism is FEAR. Fear installed for: "us" and "them" and God and then for good measure the Devil !

Don't confuse the Children of God with the people from the tradition or culture of Christianity. We are not the same.
Yes.. There is a Hell. A Burning hell eating humansouls by the millions. A place were hatred dwells and where your brother is your enemy.A place with no rest and no peace, a place where you will gnaw on you tonque out of hatred and fear.a Place without God.
It is a place created by religion and kept burning by religious morons allways looking for a fight.

And NOw, paradise......!

I think you are running away with your imagination a bit, even some Hindus believe in Hell & Heaven. Since you guys responded with evasive answers, I assumed you did not want to touch this subject.

Your answer only makes things worse - I always say - Love and Respect God, never Fear her. Threats of physical abuse make you walk the right path, it is a primitive concept, similar to children getting the cane or the belt in older days - do that today and the parent will see jail time.

But maybe it is because our view of God is as a Teacher, not a King. You Fear a King, the subject/slave when brought before the King, falls to his knees and shakes with fear, for this man was judge and jury.

A King has no use for non-loyalists, even if they are good people. His throne is threatened by them, hence loyalists are rewarded and the disloyal are either killed or thrown out of the kingdom. Hence Hell & Heaven.

Just a god made in the image of a King.

RamaRaksha

Your default final shelter is heaven, and you have a freewill to choose an alternative place(hell).

Not really - as I have posted how can the likes of a Terrorist, Abuser, Murderer, Pedophile be allowed to walk into heaven?

The right alternative is Karma & Rebirth. There is no abuse, no punishment nor do you get to waltz into heaven. Karma & Rebirth force you to take responsibility, be accountable for your actions.

Let's take an example: Say you are driving and because of your error, casue a major accident. You are unharmed, it is night and no one has seen you, do you gun your car and run away? or do you stop and attend to the injured and dying? Later, take responsibility for the accident and deal with the consequences?

The former option is being pardoned and going to heaven, the latter option is Karma & Rebirth. I will take the latter option any day.

RamaRaksha

Yeah, I don't believe in Naraka, or any other religion's hell for that matter.

Thank you, me too. Growing up as a Hindu, I have heard of this Naraka, but also about Karma & Rebirth. I couldn't understand how both could exist - you are punished for your bad deeds in Naraka and then also in the next life? Doesn't make sense. Besides what does physical pain have anything to do with any errors you may have committed in life?

Karma & Rebirth is the only logical choice. No abuse, no punishment, but you don't get to evade responsibility either.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Our scriptures tell us that we're here for two reasons:

• As individuals, to acquire the spiritual virtues we'll need both here and in the Next Life.
  • And in aggregate, to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization.
In the Baha'i view, Heaven and hell are not places; rather, Heaven is the condition of spiritual nearness to God, and hell is spiritual remoteness. These conditions are self-imposed, not anything forced upon us by God! (If we fail to acquire spiritual virtues, we place ourselves into hell, for example.)

Please note that this is exactly the same as the understanding of some Christian groups.

Further, these exist here and now as well as after death, and every one of us is in one or the other at each moment as a function of where our heads are at!

And the Baha'i scriptures go on to assure us that God, in His infinite Love and Mercy for us, assists every individual in the Next Life--even those who've placed themselves in the worst sort of hell--eventually to draw near to Him, thus achieving Heaven!

Best, :)

Bruce

John D

Spiritsurfer
I think you are running away with your imagination a bit, even some Hindus believe in Hell & Heaven. Since you guys responded with evasive answers, I assumed you did not want to touch this subject.

Your answer only makes things worse - I always say - Love and Respect God, never Fear her. Threats of physical abuse make you walk the right path, it is a primitive concept, similar to children getting the cane or the belt in older days - do that today and the parent will see jail time.

But maybe it is because our view of God is as a Teacher, not a King. You Fear a King, the subject/slave when brought before the King, falls to his knees and shakes with fear, for this man was judge and jury.

Did you read my Post ?..." True Christian believers don't care about hell, it doesn't concern them.They are busy with LIFE and their special relationship with their Father. Because a true believer becomes a son and part of a family and has come home.We don't have a God that we are afraid of, we have a Father that we can talk to, we can love and a Father from whom we can learn. That is true Christianity."

A King has no use for non-loyalists, even if they are good people. His throne is threatened by them, hence loyalists are rewarded and the disloyal are either killed or thrown out of the kingdom. Hence Hell & Heaven.

Just a god made in the image of a King.
Before you started this discussion,you proberly have already decided that no matter what anybody says, you are going to push Karma and reincarnation.
As a Christian the idea of reincarnation repels me - because it is worse than Hell, your mistakes cannot be forgiven - you must pay the prize because it is your karma!
As a christian there is forgiveness for my mistakes and wrongdoings. I get a change to rectify my wrongs, here,now, to the very people I have wronged!

RamaRaksha

Before you started this discussion,you proberly have already decided that no matter what anybody says, you are going to push Karma and reincarnation.
As a Christian the idea of reincarnation repels me - because it is worse than Hell, your mistakes cannot be forgiven - you must pay the prize because it is your karma!
As a christian there is forgiveness for my mistakes and wrongdoings. I get a change to rectify my wrongs, here,now, to the very people I have wronged!

Maybe, but i could say the same thing, that no matter what i say you are going to stick to your christian concept of hell & heaven. If there is no hell, then there is no heaven, ergo no god!

Again ours is a Teacher faith - a Teacher simply cannot pass a student who doesn't study and turns in a failed paper. Also our goal is Moksha - an Enlightened state, Enlightenment comes thru knowledge, how are we going to learn anything if we are simply forgiven?

Also I have a distaste for this forgiveness - you are reduced to a slave level, cowering down on your knees shaking with fear, afraid that that guy will send you to a torture chamber. I would rather stand tall and look my God in the eye, and ask for a chance to make things right, which God is more than happy to grant.

Lastly, if you are alive and are ready to rectify your mistakes, why should your values change once you are dead? God is giving you the same opportunity, but now you want to run away? You caused a car crash, if you are alive, you stop your car and attend to the injured, you also stand tall and take responsibility for the crash. But if you are dead, you callously walk into heaven? How many of the injured and their loved ones are left dealing with the pain and suffering that your thoughtless action has caused? god has forgiven you? How convenient.

Mr Cheese

Hell is very real, I used to live there

Njsign.jpg

I believe Adolf Hitler lives in Newark
and Herman Goerring lives in Patterson

RamaRaksha

I am borrowing these words by another member in another thread, but i think his/her words fit perfectly:

"it would be almost insulting for a Muslim to actually listen seriously to what an infidel had to say about Islam - let alone admit the infidel was correct. Nope, not happening"

Just change muslim and islam to christian and christianity