• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please don't pet somebody's dog without asking permission.

Erebus

This is mostly going to be a rant if I'm honest. However, maybe it'll be informative for people who may not have been aware of this etiquette. You should always ask permission before petting somebody's dog.

This is usually brought up in relation to aggressive or nervous dogs and for good reason. You don't know whether somebody's dog will interpret your attempt to pet them as threatening and it's entirely possible for them to lash out if they do. That's honestly the most important thing to keep in mind but you should still ask permission even if the dog gives every indication of being friendly.

My dog is cute and people on the street sometimes want to fuss her. She's friendly and loves being fussed so I'm often happy to let them, providing they ask permission first. There are times when it just isn't appropriate though.

Unfortunately, my dog is easily distracted and can be stubborn. When I'm walking her, I basically have to treat it as a training exercise every time. She's rewarded with fuss or a treat when she manages to ignore a distraction and obey the "wait" and "walk" commands. It's all too easy for her to slip into the habit of planting her feet if I don't keep on top of it. That's annoying enough in general but if she does it while crossing a road, it could be dangerous.

When I took her for her morning walk today, I went through the usual routine when crossing a road. I brought her to the curb and told her "wait" then checked for traffic and told her "walk." I'd just stepped onto the road when I heard "Awww! Hello you!" behind me. A woman had bent down to pet my dog right as we were crossing the road.

I immediately felt the tug on the lead as my dog went up to her. What this woman had done was reward my dog for not crossing the road when she was told to, effectively undoing some of her training. I had to ask her to stop and explain why she shouldn't do that.

She was apologetic and probably just wasn't aware of the etiquette. I've had other people get huffy about it though. Even though my dog is friendly, it makes walking her so much harder when people fuss her immediately after she ignores a command.

Always ask permission.

pearl

I can sympathize with you on the importance of having your dog trained in obedience. Walking my dog one day I encountered a police officer with his police dog in training and asked me to stand back, I was so grateful my dog obeyed me and sat quietly until given the ok. He was a golden retriever and did not like German shepherds. But most people do ask if its ok to approach my dog. My husband always has treats and asks if its ok to give another dog a treat. The down side of this, he had become a 'pied piper' for the neighborhood dogs.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What if the dog is a male and he jumps you?:p
It has happened to me....
He was adorable...a big greyish dog that looked like a Rottweiler.
I did pet him at the end...even if he had "washed" my face...:dogface::dogface::dogface:

I was jogging with my cousin in a very wide park...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is mostly going to be a rant if I'm honest. However, maybe it'll be informative for people who may not have been aware of this etiquette. You should always ask permission before petting somebody's dog.

This is usually brought up in relation to aggressive or nervous dogs and for good reason. You don't know whether somebody's dog will interpret your attempt to pet them as threatening and it's entirely possible for them to lash out if they do. That's honestly the most important thing to keep in mind but you should still ask permission even if the dog gives every indication of being friendly.

My dog is cute and people on the street sometimes want to fuss her. She's friendly and loves being fussed so I'm often happy to let them, providing they ask permission first. There are times when it just isn't appropriate though.

Unfortunately, my dog is easily distracted and can be stubborn. When I'm walking her, I basically have to treat it as a training exercise every time. She's rewarded with fuss or a treat when she manages to ignore a distraction and obey the "wait" and "walk" commands. It's all too easy for her to slip into the habit of planting her feet if I don't keep on top of it. That's annoying enough in general but if she does it while crossing a road, it could be dangerous.

When I took her for her morning walk today, I went through the usual routine when crossing a road. I brought her to the curb and told her "wait" then checked for traffic and told her "walk." I'd just stepped onto the road when I heard "Awww! Hello you!" behind me. A woman had bent down to pet my dog right as we were crossing the road.

I immediately felt the tug on the lead as my dog went up to her. What this woman had done was reward my dog for not crossing the road when she was told to, effectively undoing some of her training. I had to ask her to stop and explain why she shouldn't do that.

She was apologetic and probably just wasn't aware of the etiquette. I've had other people get huffy about it though. Even though my dog is friendly, it makes walking her so much harder when people fuss her immediately after she ignores a command.

Always ask permission.

I agree, although for some reason, this reminded me of this scene:

Erebus

I did pet him at the end...even if he had "washed" my face...:dogface::dogface::dogface:

Ahh dogs off the lead in the park, that's another bugbear of mine ;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Hopefully you asked him next time to ask permission before jumping you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
if I'm approached by a strange dog I make a fist first and let the animal sniff and lick me before I pet it. Usually by then its owner either calls it back or I have fun scratching the dogs head once it has my scent.

Erebus

Well...but...
If they can't run freely in the park...where can they? :)

I've heard a few different opinions on this one (it seems to be one of the most divisive subjects among dog owners) so I'll give my own stance on the issue:

If you, a friend or family member have a garden, by all means let your dog run wild in it. If you're in public, keep your dog on a lead. You can buy leads long enough to give your dog plenty of freedom to run around while also giving you a measure of control over them. Even if your dog is phenomenally well trained, it only takes one instance of selective hearing for a dog off its lead to get into trouble.

Besides that, a lot of parks specifically don't allow dogs off leads. The one near me has signs at every gate telling people not to let dogs off the lead but plenty of people do it anyway. Furthermore, a lot of those dogs are very prone to selective hearing.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
While I agree with you totally here, I'd like to add something:

Do not dispense advice to strangers on the advantages of having their dog put down.

I've got a large breed dog with genetic deformities in the hind legs. The left back is useless; just an ear scratcher. The back right is useful, and she can get around like a three legged dog, but her gait looks funny. I don't know how many times people have stopped me and ask why I just don't have her put down. Even when I explain she isn't in pain, I still get a lot of nasty looks.

I picture how that conversation would go with her. "Sorry, you've got too many problems. We've got to put you down." Her response: "Problems? What do you mean? So I look funny and I stink. So do half the people living on the block! Put them down instead." Her silly looking legs are the only legs she knows! And she uses them just as well as any dog with normally functioning ones, she just looks a lot different doing it. She even does stairs(though louder than your average dog).

I do notice a gender divide on these conversations. Though not all women react poorly to her(our mail carrier loves her), almost all the negative responses come from women. Men's responses tend to be lighthearted, and her funny gait brings up stories of other abnormal but lovable dogs they've known. I have always wondered why this is.

Erebus

I don't know how many times people have stopped me and ask why I just don't have her put down. Even when I explain she isn't in pain, I still get a lot of nasty looks.

They're completely out of line saying that to you. How utterly insensitive of them.