• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please convince me I'm not a prophet

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm asking as I suspect I might be one on account of what certain symptoms of my illness are telling me, I know I'm not one but I can't help thinking it
OK.
It sounds like you already recognize that you're not a prophet, but mentally ill. Asking members of a nearly anonymous internet forum to fix that for you is more like another symptom than a realistic approach to the actual problem.
Tom

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
OK.
It sounds like you already recognize that you're not a prophet, but mentally ill. Asking members of a nearly anonymous internet forum to fix that for you is more like another symptom than a realistic approach to the actual problem.
Tom

I'm only asking for other perspectives, I'm not looking for a solution or anything

So far I have read a lot of interesting and helpful things

I do not regret starting this thread, it has actually helped me

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
OK.
Tom

If this was my thread, I'd point out it sounds like you're saying: "Don't listen to the internet. Instead listen to me, who is on the internet, by not listening to the internet."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't believe in prophets at all, so it follows from that that you afren't one. Why would god put all that responsibility and power into one person? That would be very irresponsible of God. No individual could possible handle God's infinite power all rolled into one human physical body. He would explode, physically. Would a loving God do that?

If there ever was such a thing as a real prophet, he'd accurately predict the future, cause wars to stop, and quite literally be able to move mountains. But no self-declared prophet has ever done that.

A true prophet (although there's no such thing) would be recognised by everyone. He could do anything, after all. Why not just wave that mighty hand, and swoosh, everyone can see me for what I am.

All this said, there are wise men who can offer pragmatic advice. One such category is trained doctors and psychiatrists. I urge you to make an appointment, and never go off your meds.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Even though it's pretty much impossible, suppose you are a prophet. Why help a deity? How do you know the deity is telling the truth? What is the morality and intentions of the deity that is "knighting" you? And suppose all that is also true. How can you help people by serving the deity?
When you really think about it, why would a deity need or require a prophet in the first place?

It's pointless.

Nimos

1) Is it written anywhere that God does not tell lies?
2) Is it not possible to lead someone to a truth via a sequence of lies?

I hope you will take these as questions, not objections

If you can present me with a sound argument then I'd have no option but to accept it, I just have two questions re: the argument you have kindly provided

Titus 1, 1;2
2 in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,

Hebrews 6;18
18 that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.

Revelation 21;8
all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death

If God lied, wouldn't that make him a hypocrite?

Also how could you have faith in God, if you don't know when he is lying and when he is telling the truth.

A logic question you could ask yourself, what if the only true thing God have said in the Bible is "Thou shalt not steal" everything else is a lie, how could you demonstrate to me, that what im saying is not true, if God is capable of lying?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Titus 1, 1;2
2 in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,

Hebrews 6;18
18 that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.

Revelation 21;8
all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death

If God lied, wouldn't that make him a hypocrite?

Also how could you have faith in God, if you don't know when he is lying and when he is telling the truth.

A logic question you could ask yourself, what if the only true thing God have said in the Bible is "Thou shalt not steal" everything else is a lie, how could you demonstrate to me, that what im saying is not true, if God is able to lie?

Thank you for clearing that up, you're making perfect sense

Your reasoning seems solid to me

Thank you

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@Eddi -

As others have pointed out you are mentally ill.This does not make you a bad person. You are not being punished. You did not ask for or otherwise bring this upon yourself.

The problem is, or at least appears to be, that while you, on one level, recognize that you are mentally ill, on another level you are unable to understand the depth of your illness, the ongoing nature of your illness. As a result, every, how shall I put it, unusual idea that comes into your head you embrace all too quickly.

While we on the forum may be able to share a word or two of wisdom, while we may offer heartfelt words of encouragement, your underlying illness is beyond the competency of most of us on the forum. Furthermore, counseling/treatment by forum is not the kind of help you need.

I wish you well.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If this was my thread, I'd point out it sounds like you're saying: "Don't listen to the internet. Instead listen to me, who is on the internet, by not listening to the internet."
Possibly because you missed my point.

"Don't expect much help from anonymous strangers on the internet. In fact, they're dangerous. Get professional help from someone."
Tom

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Possibly because you missed my point.

"Don't expect much help from anonymous strangers on the internet. In fact, they're dangerous. Get professional help from someone."
Tom

You're probably right. I'll try and withdraw from this subject. I was trying to help the OP by saying "Consult a Psychiatrist, but sometimes the healing process requires more than that too. Believing you're a prophet and getting a following, for example, wouldn't help your mental health if that were to happen. Just an example. In such a case, I think you'd have to do a bit more for yourself than JUST the medicine. You'd have to work on these ideas too."

But I'll be honest. This may be an anonymous forum, but I think the advice here IS wise, including yours. So see everyone around elsewhere here. As I think my presence here won't help the OP further if he needs to consult a professional.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
These 2 things stood out to me:

He gets in the way by causing me to have an awful life-limiting diagnosis

Note: the focus of your discomfort. Butterfly maybe a distraction from what is really bothering you.

whenever I get a new one or have any new contact with a mental health professional they are always surprised that I don't hear voices, they go "oh, so you don't hear voices?" as though that's all schizophrenia is about

A little tip: Try not to focus too much on **how** the psychiatrists are asking the questions. Try not to focus on the exact wording of it. It's complicated, but, there's a method to how they ask the questions. Trying to diagnose mental illness is different than diagnosing something that will show up on an x-ray or a blood test. When the psychiatrist is interviewing you, it is as if they are trying to look at an x-ray. That means the questions need to be asked in a specific ( sometimes odd ) manner. Thinking about it too much can interfere with the diagnostic accuracy of the interview. Just accept that the questions will be odd, and the mannerisms of the psychiatrist may be odd sometimes. Maybe consider how many odd people psychiatrists deal with on a daily basis? And relating to all these odd people can rub-off on a psychiatrist.

Note: It's totally normal and natural to pick up on the patterns and repetitions of the questions asked and the wording used. It's the same as noticing that every printed receipt you get from a store has the date printed on it. Or every form filled out at everY Doctor's Office seems to have the same questions on it at intake.

Hope this helps,

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You're probably right. I'll try and withdraw from this subject. I was trying to help the OP by saying "Consult a Psychiatrist, but sometimes the healing process requires more than that too. Believing you're a prophet and getting a following, for example, wouldn't help your mental health if that were to happen. Just an example. In such a case, I think you'd have to do a bit more for yourself than JUST the medicine. You'd have to work on these ideas too."

But I'll be honest. This may be an anonymous forum, but I think the advice here IS wise, including yours. So see everyone around elsewhere here. As I think my presence here won't help the OP further if he needs to consult a professional.

@AT-AT you have been very helpful to me :)

I've had plenty of help from professionals, I just wanted to get some fresh perspectives from ordinary people

Which I have got and am very thankful for

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I've had plenty of help from professionals, I just wanted to get some fresh perspectives from ordinary people

Fair enough. We just have to be really careful on these important subjects as horrible things can happen if our opinions are taken as medical advice. ;)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Looks like we were typing simultaneously. Perhaps scroll-up and review my reply#53.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Fair enough. We just have to be really careful on these important subjects as horrible things can happen if our opinions are taken as medical advice. ;)

I'd never get medical advice from the internet, I'm mentally ill, not stupid!

In the past people have told me I'm possessed, that's just medieval and something I would now totally dismiss

I put this in the "theological concepts" board because it was mostly a question about prophets and what it means to either be a prophet or not be a prophet

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I put this in the "theological concepts" board because it was mostly a question about prophets and what it means to either be a prophet or not be a prophet

Alright. Well, there aren't too many people who don't believe Prophets are a done deal. Though there are enough people out there to throw money at them. Weird how the world works.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'd never get medical advice from the internet, I'm mentally ill, not stupid!
Your OP title was "Please convince me I'm not a prophet".

I'm old. I've done a lot of volunteer work with people who "have issues". "Asking around" until they find someone who will say what they want to hear. Then latching onto whoever agrees with them, enough to be an authority in their eyes.

I don't know you, and I don't pretend that I do. But your OP gave me reason to worry about you, and the best I've got is being bluntly honest. Even if it isn't what you want to hear, I care about you. Even though you are just another RF member with issues(there's been lots of those), I want what is best for you.

But I don't know what that is, and neither does anybody else on RF.
Tom

sealchan

Well reading what is said about it:

People with schizophrenia may experience hallucinations (most reported are hearing voices), delusions (often bizarre or persecutory in nature), and disorganized thinking and speech. The last may range from loss of train of thought, to sentences only loosely connected in meaning, to speech that is not understandable known as word salad. Social withdrawal, sloppiness of dress and hygiene, and loss of motivation and judgment are all common in schizophrenia.[21]

Those things I have highlighted above is not the impression I get when people talk about the wisdom of prophets. So I would say that these things doesn't seem to fit well together.
Well reading what is said about it:

People with schizophrenia may experience hallucinations (most reported are hearing voices), delusions (often bizarre or persecutory in nature), and disorganized thinking and speech. The last may range from loss of train of thought, to sentences only loosely connected in meaning, to speech that is not understandable known as word salad. Social withdrawal, sloppiness of dress and hygiene, and loss of motivation and judgment are all common in schizophrenia.[21]

Those things I have highlighted above is not the impression I get when people talk about the wisdom of prophets. So I would say that these things doesn't seem to fit well together.

May...is the key word here.

I know at least one highly public and powerful person who serves up a real banquet of a word salad feast almost every time he gives an interview...