• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please advice

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
I'm planning to visit a Quaker church soon. Please advice:

1 - Is there any specific dress code?
2 - What can I expect at the meeting?
3 - Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Also, in my mind the Quakers is the Buddhists of the Christian world. What do you think of this statement?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm planning to visit a Quaker church soon. Please advice:

1 - Is there any specific dress code?
2 - What can I expect at the meeting?
3 - Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Also, in my mind the Quakers is the Buddhists of the Christian world. What do you think of this statement?
Programmed or unprogrammed? Both fall within the umbrella of "Quaker".

I attended a Quaker meeting (unprogrammed) for a while. Im that particular case (the Toronto Monthly Meeting):

1. There was no dress code.
2. Every meeting had the same format (people come in quietly, and sit down. When the doors close, everyone reflects/prays. When/if someone feels moved to do it, they stand, say what they feel moved to say, and then sit down. The reflection continues. At the end of the meeting, two elders shake hands to signal the end, then everyone else shakes hands as well). The actual "feel" of the meeting varies. I've been to meetings that seemed almost chatty. I've been to others where nobody talked at all.
3. If you have questions, try calling or emailing the particular group you're interested in checking out. There can be a fair bit of variation between groups, so they'll be the best ones to tell you their own specifics.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
Thanks for replying.

Programmed or unprogrammed? Both fall within the umbrella of "Quaker".

I have no idea. I've tried to check on their site but it doesn't give any indication. I hope their more Liberal than Orthodox though, no offense to those who are Orthodox.

If you have questions, try calling or emailing the particular group you're interested in checking out. There can be a fair bit of variation between groups, so they'll be the best ones to tell you their own specifics

Yes I would've done that but there is no number or e-mail address, that's why I came here

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
For in case anyone is interested:

The meeting was an hour of silence. It was explained to me beforehand that anyone is allowed to speak or sing as the Spirit leads. I guess no one felt lead. I think this will fall under unprogrammed @9-10ths_Penguin? They also does not seem to know whether they're Orthodox or Liberal. I liked the idea of focusing on God while sitting in silence with other people who are also focussing on God. I felt welcome and I will go again. One thing I did wonder about was the smallness of the group. I think people today struggle with keeping quite for long periods of time, could this be a reason why there weren't more people or are there more Quakers in the UK for instance?